Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • GPS Watches
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

I keep on getting phone failures when I use Strava and it really gets annoying to finish a ride and find that more than half of the ride didn’t record 😡

So I’m in the market for a GPS watch and there appears to be quite a variety.

So which watches warrant my attention and export in the right data format (.GPX?) for Strava and Endomondo?

I like the look of the Nike GPS watch, but it appears that it’s intended use is running rather than cycling and would be a faff to use?

mikey74
    Free Member

If it is just for cycling, then why not get the Garmin Edge 200/500/800? Most GPS watches are intended for running, I would guess. Some may be multi-sport, however.

stanfree
    Free Member

I just got a Garmin 200 after tearing the arse out of my android phone for the last year , Its great for what I need as couldn’t stretch to the HRM garmin 500. If anything having the garmin on your handlebars makes you try and cycle faster as you can see the display as I normally had my phone in my pocket.

Shame garmin aren’t doing the £30 cashback currently. 🙁

billytinkle
    Free Member

Really needs to be a watch for use whilst running too – mainly for cycling though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a 310XT which, after today’s run, I can guarantee is waterproof.

eruptron
    Free Member

Garmin 610 it’s a watch it’s gps i love it coz it’s not a brick with a strap 🙂

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Garmin 200/500/800. You can get a watch strap for it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Quick-Release-Mounting-Forerunner/dp/B0009PUJV6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356192314&sr=8-6

and on your wrist it’s smaller than the dedicated Garmin 310 series. Much better for biking as well.

The link above says it’s for the 201/301 series, but it works fine for the 200/500/800

jota180
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d want the 200/500 strapped yo my wrist
    I have a 500, a 305 and a 110

The 305 is the best out of the 3 as an all round GPS as it does all the bike data as well as but still a bit chunky for running

and on your wrist it’s smaller than the dedicated Garmin 310 series

It’s a bit bigger IMO. there’s some side by side comparisons here
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/12/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html

mikey74
    Free Member

If you want to use it for cycling and running you will want one that is meant for multi-sport use, or else some of the date may be off (eg. calories etc) for one of your activities.

I used my Edge 200 for running for a while but ultimately found it fairly inaccurate for that, whereas it is fine on the bike. I ended up buying a Garmin Forerunner 210 HRM for £115 to use solely for running.

The 310 XT is multi-sport.

jota180
    Free Member

Here’s a bargain if you can wait for them to come back in, mines been perfect for over 4 years of abuse

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-305-noh.html

NZCol

I’ve got the new Suunto gps watch via my sponsor. Very nice bit of kit and works very reliably vs a Garmin forerunner and way smaller and nicer to look at.

kiwijohn

Just took the wife to get some new trainers for Christmas & happened to get a Garmin Fenix for my birthday.
    Not allowed it until the 29th though.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Got a forerunner 110. It’s great for both running and riding.

GrahamS

Just get a better phone?

No “phone failures” using Endomondo on my iPhone 4.

I really couldn’t be faffed using a seperate GPS where you have to connect to a PC, download the GPX file from it, then upload to Endomondo/Strava. Main benefit of the phone apps is that it all happens automatically.

woffle
    Free Member

I’ve the 910XT – one-size-fits-all GPS watch that does me for cycling, running and swimming. Exports .gpx etc without issue though I use Rubitrack 3 to collate all my data.

Can’t recommend it highly enough – has put up with a fair amount of abuse and still looks like new; saw me round the Spartan Beast challenge in November without a hiccup – chipped the mud off and a wipe with a damp flannel and not a scratch on it.

The only caveat being that it doesn’t really have good enough battery life to wear as a daily watch; would be ok to wear during waking hours and charging overnight but I think it’s really meant to be worn during “activity”. Doesn’t bother me but I guess for some the watch function is equally important as the GPS side. Irony being that it’s actually not too chunky to wear as a watch unlike the 310XT which looks more like a computer strapped to your wrist, rather than a watch. I charge mine at the beginning of the week and it’ll last me through until the next weekend.

(Previously I’ve had a Suunto but the GPS was a separate pod that took ages to get a signal and wasn’t very reliable. A friend at work has the Nike GPS but I think he’s now on his 3rd warranty replacement)

Jamie
    Free Member

Irony being that it’s actually not too chunky to wear as a watch unlike the 310XT which looks more like a computer strapped to your wrist, rather than a watch.

It’s retro 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

It’s retro

Indeed. The 310XT is a whole lot cheaper than the 910XT too which isn’t a bad thing.

stats

Got a Garmin Forerunner 410 and it has modes for Running and cycling where you choose what data is shown (including revolving between displays to show you more info).
    It has a waypoint mode if you want to input a peak or start of trail ahead of setting off, or if you’re lost and struggling to get back to the car park (embarrassingly, I’ve used that before) where it shows you distance and direction with onscreen compass. It’ll continue to record your rides data in Nav mode too.
    The only issue people experienced with the previous model (405) was the touch bezel. I wasn’t sure on the 410 for this reason but amazon had a cracking deal for the HRM version so it was worth trying. I have never had an issue navigating the menus or accidental menu change.

stats

Furthermore I personally use http://connect.garmin.com as the Forerunner 410 and 610 can wirelessly upload your latest ride and waypoints to that site with no user input when within 10m of your computer when it’s on and the ANT+ dongle connected. Only need a lead to charge, but use the mains lead.

downshep

Got a 110 watch with a bar mount. Works fine for running and cycling. Just remember to alter the mode when changing disciplines.

zilog6128

I got the 310XT when it was heavily reduced in the Black Friday sales. Great bit of kit. Don’t use it for biking (have an edge 200) but it would be great for that. Would have preferred the 910XT but couldn’t justify the £££. Plus the 310XT has buck roger’s chic.

mikey74
    Free Member

Just remember to alter the mode when changing disciplines.

How? My 210 doesn’t have different modes for different activities, and according to the Garmin website, neither does the 110.

cchris2lou

I have the forerunner 305 and ir is brilliant .

Never used to navigate though .

You can selct discipline .

cp

forerunner 310’s are great, and can be had for a little over £100 on the bay.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would like to add, that once the 310XT is on, you really do not notice it.

…and I have ladies’ wrists.

The 910XT is nice though, but not slim enough and I don’t need the extra swimming bits, to warrant the upgrade cost.

downshep

Mikey – The mode change when going from running to biking is simply to alter the menu from minute miles to mph. It can be done via; system settings, press and hold menu, select setup, scroll to desired setting, press okay. There is no specific run or bike setting, which is a bit frustrating.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just as a heads up, the 310XT is on Amazon’s Boxing Day deal’s thing at 16:20. Might be worth checking out.

boblo
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    I would like to add, that once the 310XT is on, you really do not notice it.

…and I have ladies’ wrists.

What, pickled in brine with your other ‘trophies’ Hannibal? 🙂

johnnystorm

GrahamS – Member
    Just get a better phone?
    No “phone failures” using Endomondo on my iPhone 4.
    I really couldn’t be faffed using a seperate GPS where you have to connect to a PC, download the GPX file from it, then upload to Endomondo/Strava. Main benefit of the phone apps is that it all happens automatically.

Always used my iPhone until a mate replaced his with an edge. You can upload direct to strava and the extra battery life is worth it for that alone. Combine with bar mounted speedo, distance, avg, navigation and an edge 200 makes an iPhone look like a massive compromise. The only advantage is the auto upload and having one to begin with. Ease of use, durability etc are a poor second.

Jamie
    Free Member

What, pickled in brine with your other ‘trophies’ Hannibal?

Just shut up and place the lotion in the basket…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bek6nQGw520[/video]

GrahamS

Always used my iPhone until a mate replaced his with an edge. You can upload direct to strava and the extra battery life is worth it for that alone. Combine with bar mounted speedo, distance, avg, navigation and an edge 200 makes an iPhone look like a massive compromise.

Mmmm… my phone is barmounted and various apps can supply speedo, distance, avg, navigation if required. Durability is provided by a waterproof shockproof case.

The only advantage is the auto upload.

And being able to run Endomondo, Strava, MotionX, Sustrans and Bike Hub apps – simultaneously if required – whilst being tracked by the missus, and also listening to music and receiving calls/texts/emails.

Agree on battery life though. And you’re right in that I wouldn’t buy a phone just for that. But I don’t think it is such a compromise – just a different approach.

jota180
    Free Member

whilst being tracked by the missus,

That’s me out

Jamie
    Free Member

..for those that care/are quick. The 310XT is £150 on Amazon Boxing Day deals.

GrahamS

> whilst being tracked by the missus,
    That’s me out

It’s a useful option. She knows what time to put dinner on and if I have an accident out on my own she knows where to send the cavalry.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I managed to break my 405cx at the weekend so have snapped one up to replace it 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Suunto Ambit, been excellent for me.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Got an ambit last week , I love it, good piece of kit but bit pricey!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘GPS Watches’ is closed to new replies.