Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • GPS Watch
  • number18
    Free Member

I’m contemplating risking my life by entering the world of Strava! However, I don’t currently have a device capable of facilitating this. All I want a device to do is the following;

– automatically plot rides on a map (presumably the software on the uploaded route will calculate the elevation rather than the device itself);
    – measure time taken on segments and overall;
    – tell me distance + time ‘live’.

Unless I’ve missed any obvious features I think that’s it. I’m keen to hear any advice and recommendations.

‘Cheap’ is the word!

alexonabike

Ive had a 310XT for a few years and would still buy the same again today if It broke! Ive got the quick release kit that means it fixes to your stem as well as your wrist and can be swapped in seconds.

Mackem

An old android phone?

number18
    Free Member

My phone belongs to work and is a Blackberry so it is shit at this sort of thing!

I would like a watch as I do a bit of running too so it would be useful for that as well.

Just had a look on Google at the 310XT, at £150 it’s way out of my budget. I was thinking more like £50 – £80 if one exists!

takisawa2

My phone belongs to work and is a Blackberry it is shit at this sort of thing!

Buy yer own then yer tight get… 😀

As above, an older Android phone.

mcnultycop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Enabled-Unisex-Sports/dp/B003EG83LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381614385&sr=8-1&keywords=forerunner+110

Just over budget, but it (nor any GPS watch as far as I am aware) won’t do live tracking of your segments as you ride. You can do that with a phone, but I’d rather just ride then upload when I get home.

number18
    Free Member

Thanks all for comments.

I’m not bothered about live tracking of segments, just the total distance covered so far on that ride and time taken.

I am a tight git!

Really prefer it to be a watch tbh.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Garmin Forerunner 10 is probably the cheapest/simplest GPS watch, about £80. It will tell you time, distance, speed. Works fine for recording a track, then uploading to Strava etc.

Put a bit of pipe lagging around your handlebars, then you can just strap the watch on.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I would wait for the Garmin Forerunner 620 to come out, not cheap but not such a huge lump to wear on your wrist either.

darkslider
    Free Member

I was going to recommend the Forerunner 10 as well, I am also tight and it’s what I’m saving up for. Definitely get a dedicated GPS watch either way, mobile phones tend to be pants as soon as it comes to trees so you’ll miss out on most segments when mountain biking, fine if you just want it for on the road though.

shadowrider
    Free Member

There’s a Garmin Forerunner 201 for sale on the classifieds for £40, it would do everything you want, Vondally is the seller. Worth a look

gwaelod
    Free Member

whatever you do – have a read up of the reviews on DC Rainmaker blog.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

he is quite detailed.

Garmin forunner 10 will do the job, higher up models if you want heart rate/footpod/triathlon stuff

tops5
    Free Member

Just install sportypal on your blackberry and upload manually to strava via your pc

number18
    Free Member

Can’t install any apps on the Blackberry (even free ones), all blocked by work.

As before, a watch is the ideal solution as I want to use it for running too, I don’t fancy a phone attached to my arm…

I will check out the reviews and the one being sold on the classifieds. At the minute I’m leaning towards a Forerunner 10 (not fussed about heart rates etc).

Thanks all.

vondally
    Free Member

Hello for sale

more detail and link to pics here

info and link onto pics

number18
    Free Member

With the Forerunner 10 can you upload to any mapping site, or can you only use Garmin Connect? eg, can you log it on Strava or MapMyRun?

geoffj

Foreunner 10 – excellent bit of kit

gwaelod
    Free Member

Read the rainmaker reView of the 10…tells you everything,

No problem uploading to strava or others.

Strava even sell them

https://shop.strava.com/products/forerunner-10
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-watch.html

akasteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a NavRun 500 by Ultrasport off Amazon, they are about £77.
    It has all the usual GPS stuff like mapping your run, multiple sports and programmable display, does waypoints etc plus heart rate monitor. The watch is waterproof but the heart rate monitor isn’t but it hasn’t had any sweat ingress yet.
    Downside is the software is not Mac compatible and I’ve not tried it on Strava so can’t comment on that.
    I think it’s decent.

number18
    Free Member

Right, sorry for dragging this out!

I can get a Forerunner 10 for £75 or a Forerunner 110 for £80.

The main differences appear to be that the 10 looks better to me (in orange!) and is fully waterproofed and battery lasts 5 hours, but the 110 looks more like a normal watch in grey, is not fully waterproofed and the battery lasts 8 hours.

Realistically, I should probably get the 110 due to battery life and the fact that I don’t need it for swimming, but I’m finding the orange 10 quite alluring for some reason.

Are there are obvious differences I should know about? I’m going to buy one tonight.

Another difference is that the 110 can be used with a heart rate monitor, but I’m not really bothered about that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘GPS Watch’ is closed to new replies.