Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • GPS tracking Apps for Android…. Luddite content.
  • alpin
    Free Member

ok, so i’ve tried previously downloading tracks onto my old phone for use with Google Earth, but it never worked. i’ve just tried again, but to no avail.

file i am trying to download is a “kml” track.

do i need some sort of specific GPS App or can i use Google Earth ?

why won’t it download? the site i am trying to download from is gps-tour.info. you need to be signed in, which obvioulsy i am.

or can anyone recommend a simple App that will easily allow me to follow a line on a map.

cheers.

Miguelo

I use OruxMaps, on a very basic smartphone, with no problems. You’ll have plenty of maps to choose, google maps and OS maps included. They’ll be available on line with the app, for free. You can download the area you need and then use it off line.

I think it only works with gpx files, but it’s very easy to convert kml files to gpx (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/)

ampthill

I use sport tracker to see routes on a google earth type map

I use Back country navigator, which I paid for, so that I can see where I am on an OS base map. The maps can be cached free whost at home

both on a Samsung galaxy ace. That’s fairly low in the phone food chain

alpin
    Free Member

cheers guys….

@ miguelo… can also download GPX from the site. was trying to download kml because i think it’s GE compatible…

so do these Apps let me follow a line on a map that i have saved to my phone?

Miguelo

Yes you can follow a track previously saved to your phone, and at the same time you can use it to record the actual route you are riding (gps tracking) if you wish…

You may need a file manager app also, which is something similar to windows explorer for your phone, this allows you to manage your downloaded gpx files: saving them in the folder they need to be,etc

ampthill

Ok so witch apps let you navigate from a gpx file? I don’t think either of mine do

Miguelo

@ampthill

with oruxmaps you can navigate and track your route, I don’t if you can do it with the apps that you already have.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘GPS tracking Apps for Android…. Luddite content.’ is closed to new replies.