Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • GPS thing suggestions
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

A mate wants a GPS type thing. Needs to be capable of showing OS maps so a biggish screen needed. Ideally should be have a cycle handle bar mount available as well. For both cycling and walking so it will be a compromise but cycling models don’t have big enough screens.

Need to take AA type batteries as a built in battery won’t last long enough.

A few years ago a Satmap looked good but things may have changed.
    Not a phone please.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Need to take AA type batteries as a built in battery won’t last long enough.

How long is long enough?
    These days a portable power pack that charges USB could expand your choices.

MadBillMcMad

after a bit of hunting I have decided on the Garmin etrex 25 touch.

The older etrexes appear to have a few issues, see other posts on here.
    Campcraft in Bolton have them on a good deal at the moment.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Long enough is a few days of navigation. An ancillary pack is an option of course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My 810 does somewhere between 8 to 12 hrs on a charge. So with a decent power pack that’s a fair bit of time.

sharkbait
    Free Member

‘a few days’ is a long time for a something with a ‘biggish’ screen and gps running.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cycle Garmins don’t show OS maps well hence thoughts about screen size. My 800 does the same but that’s only one day of being on. Yes it could be switched on and off but not recording etc that way.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“‘a few days’ is a long time for a something with a ‘biggish’ screen and gps running. “
    Exactly. Hence the ability to swap batteries a nice idea.

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at the Garmin Oregon for a biggish screen, uses 2 AA batteries.

Or Garmin Montana is even bigger, uses 3 AA batteries, or a replaceable lithium ion battery. I think its a bit too big for on a bike, though there is a handlebar mount available if you want.

scotroutes

Oregon

BadlyWiredDog

The latest Satmap Active 12 is good but fairly expensive, much better map reproduction than the Active 10, but still very easy to use. I’d say its weaknesses are the interface with your computer and file transfers which aren’t as slick as the likes of Garmin.

The unit isn’t 100% waterproof, so for kayaking etc, you’d need to add an additional waterproof cover, but it seems fine for normal biking and walking use. The bike mount is basic, but works okay ime. The detachable screen protector, a polycarbonate thing, scratches up quite easily and water gets behind it. Satmap sells decent stick-on screen protectors which help with the former or if you’re feeling brave, ditch the polycarbonate thing and stick the screen protector direct onto the glass screen below.

I think the built-in battery gives better life now thanks to improved power controls etc, but it depends a little on how you use it.

I’d say Garmin has more solid hardware, but I find the interface irksome and non-intuitive and unless things have changed markedly since I last used one, Ordnance Survey map reproduction is pretty poor.

Another option might be a smartphone in a rugged case with a back-up power supply running ViewRanger or similar.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘GPS thing suggestions’ is closed to new replies.