Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • GPS reviews, have any of the magazines done one????
  • highclimber
    Free Member

It shows you gps coordinates not a map reference?

you can change most devices to show you whatever coordinates you want including OS grid upto 10 figures but will only be accurate to about 8figures anyway

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rip, does the 500 definately do navigation as well as being a computer?

I'm not fussed about mapping realy, it would be nice to have, but I'd not go out without a map/compas anyway.

Most GPS's have a conversion for OS grid refs, usualy hidden in the settings somewhere. N.B. People who found drag'n'drop mapped routes from the PC to be well out of alignment with whats on the ground, was you GPs set up the same as the PC? Grid refs are based on projecting a grid onto a sphere, unfortunately the world isn't spherical so each mapping organisation addopted a projection that gave them the best aproximation on their part of the earth. I'm going to hazzard a guess that if you pick a different projection they might be more accurate (seeing as its the itnernet, maybe try an ammerican one?).

highclimber
    Free Member

UK projection is OSGB32, to save you looking.

Rip
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Rip, does the 500 definately do navigation as well as being a computer?

Yes, it does. You can download tracks to it and follow them, just like the Edge 305.

What it won't do, that the Edge 305 does, is navigate to waypoints or do interval training etc.

For mountain bike navigation though, it's more than adequate.

Watch this.

nibby
    Free Member

Hello, looking to branch out a bit from my normal ride center rides to more interesting ones. I'm currently looking at a Satmap for navigation. Does anyone know anywhere I can download routes for various parts of the country that I can upload to the satnav and just follow.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘GPS reviews, have any of the magazines done one????’ is closed to new replies.