Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GPS mapping apps for Samsung Tablet – running Android?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I currently mainly use Memory Map on a Windows laptop and a Garmin Dakota for mapping. Both to create tracks in MM and export to the Garmins SD Card, and to import from the Garmin, to the laptop and open in MM to view on OS Maps.

I also download .gpx files from the web, to the laptop, then copy to the Garmin unit to follow.

Is there an app for Android that easily allows you to do all of this? Things like Maverick have “free” OS Mapping, but will the Galaxy talk to a Garmin Dakota via USB? Windows sees the Garmins SD card as a drive, will this be the same in Android? I dont really want to have to swap the SD card between the two devices.

And what about creating tracks on a tablet and saving as .gpx files?

cheers

HantsNightRider
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

I use and like viewranger. Also check out MMtracker and AplineQuest as these should let you view your Memory Map OS maps and tracks.

iainfrancis
    Free Member

MMTracker uses Memory Map maps but it’s been removed from Google play for breaching Memory Map copyright. It’s still available on Pirate Bay though I believe.

clubber
    Free Member

The problem you’ll have is that like your GPS, from a USB point of view, it’s designed to be a slave – eg you plug it into something else (eg laptop) that’s the master that you then move files onto/off the tablet from.

You can get an OTG cable (£2ish from ebay or the like) and I’d imagine that there’s some app available

Or, can you just plug the GPS’s SD card into the tablet? It’d certainly work for my Garmin 605 which has a micro SD like the Galaxy tab 2

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds like there are a few options. And if it doesnt work now, it proabably will do in a year’s time.

clubber
    Free Member

GvSig mini maps is a good app BTW and has OS mapping

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=es.prodevelop.gvsig.mini&hl=en

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GPS mapping apps for Samsung Tablet – running Android?’ is closed to new replies.