Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GPS Linux
  • danceswithcats

Hi all,

I may have the money for a GPS unit for my bike at the end of this month. Woohoo!

Does anyone have any experience of managing one of these gizmoes from Ubuntu?

I’m dithering between Memory Map, Bryton (on Edinburgh Bike Coop) and Mio. I would like to be able to sync the machine with Ubuntu, if I could, though I have a fallback copy of XP, for Lara Croft and other minor emergencies.

Kind regards

DWC

RDL-82
    Free Member

Going off memory here as I used Linux over a year ago. uBuntu btw.

Memory Map works fine under ‘WINE’ or at least version 5 did.

As for GPS devices I have a Garmin Edge 705 and although it would show up with Linux ad you could browse the memory you couldn’t do anything with it as at the time the ‘Garmin Communicator Plug-in’ wouldn’t work under Linux.
    If you only want to add stuff to the memory on the device gpx’s for example it should be fine.
    As for other devices I couldn’t comment.

As to whether all of the above still applies though I couldn’t say, but it certainly was at the time.

andytherocketeer

Think newer Garmins you just drag drop GPX files to/from the device in mass storage mode?

Mine is older, so I just use GPS Babel to program routes/waypoints/tracks to the device. PS don’t install any Garmin drivers – they’re not needed now and it screws everything up.

No idea about other brands.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Forgot to say the ‘garmin communicator plug-in’ is needed if you want to use the garmin connect website and iirc it’s needed for garmin training centre as well.
    If you’ve no intention of using them your fine.
    Would imagine Strava if you use it will use the plug-in as well to read your device as it can import directly.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

There is a garmin communicator plugin for Linux that works for me with my 200 on Mint/Chrome.

More info on what I achieved on this thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garmin-edge-200-questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GPS Linux’ is closed to new replies.