Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • GPs, injuries and mental health
  • aracer
    Free Member

So I go to my GP with an injury. Typically they’ll ask what I do for a job, as if it doesn’t stop me working then it’s not deemed to be all that important and I’ll just get told to rest. But what if it’s affecting my mental health? Is it likely to make any difference to whether they think I need to get it treated properly rather than just rest if exercise is my self medication for depression and resting is really getting me down?

It’s all a bit academic as it’s a rib/chest injury I don’t think they can do anything for (I’m unconvinced of the value of going to the physio either, which is where I’d usually go first with a sports injury), but just wondering if it would make any difference if there was any treatment I could get.

banks
    Free Member

There are good and bad GPs, there are very few near me now who speak English as a first language as one is so fat she spills out of the handle on the office chair. I go to my local vets with cake & biscuits for medical advice now

glupton1976
    Free Member

There are physio treatments that can help to get ribs moving better, but there’s not much that can be done if they are broken or very painful.

Is your injury stopping you pootling about on the bike?

deviant
    Free Member

Not commenting on the OP’s situation but people do seem to have unrealistic expectations these days….i go to minor injuries all the time and dispense sound advice about pain relief and rest only to be met with ‘oh, cant you just give me something for it?’….

….i want to reply: ‘like what?, you’ve injured yourself and it will need time to heal’…

Swollen, bruised or torn tissue doesnt heal overnight, people have no patience.

Northwind

FWIW I was offered a lot of support for my 2 big injuries, physical and mental. I didn’t take any of it up but it was all offered without prompting- “We know that being in 24/7 pain and not being able to walk can be a wee bitty depressing”

scotroutes

If you lie about how bad it is be careful they don’t mistake you for an addict trying to get a fix if you mean to get prescription pain killers.

Other than that I don’t see how anyone can advise you here as you haven’t really gone into any detail about the injury.

With all respect aracer, if all the injury needs is time and it’s getting you depressed not being on the bike I’d suggest seeing a councilor and/or just going for a walk in the nice sunshine we’re getting.

Relax the worlds not going to end, there’s a beautiful world outside go out and sit in it and read…..enjoy letting the world fly by for a bit.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m trying to think of a chest injury that would benefit from, but not necessarily require, some sort of treatment.. 😕

fasthaggis

I got a bit pissed off on the last visit to my gp (I don’t go much)and he gave me the feeling that a man of my age should be settling down to some gardening and a bit of golf,instead of all this cycling nonsense 🙄 .I had to explain just how much I get out of cycling.

Try telling them you ride a motorcycle and work in a medical field….always good for tutting and a questioning of your mental health status :mrgreen: …..because apparently you should know better.

scotroutes

My last GP was around 40 and really into Triathlons……

ampthill

depending on the injury don’t right it off being thorasic joints

one physio session worked wonders on ribs so painful sneezing was like being shot

Also explained loads of othe niggles

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered how MMA folk get on at Minor Injuries/GPs.

“So, how did that happen?”

“Got battered”.

“High Street?”

“Nah. Gym”.

Better than “Bedrock got in the way of my shins”.

aracer
    Free Member

if all the injury needs is time and it’s getting you depressed not being on the bike I’d suggest seeing a councilor and/or just going for a walk in the nice sunshine we’re getting.

The trouble is, it’s not the lack of exercise that’s getting me depressed – I’m already depressed, the exercise is my medication. Hence why a walk in the sunshine doesn’t really do it for me – if anything that just gives me time to brood.

Admittedly I wasn’t expecting any useful answers, just fed up and pondering. It’s not even like it’s stopping me doing stuff – after several days rest I got out on Thursday evening (and mostly felt better for it) and didn’t really notice any problems at the time. But it’s noticeably worse afterwards, and now hurting when I do more gentle stuff which was OK the day before so I figure it didn’t do me much good.

Ahhhh hope you’re okay Aracer.

I’d seriously consider getting some CBT in that case and perhaps trying the SSRI route for a bit, although the latter depends how bad your depression is…I’ve read some literature recently that states they aren’t that effective for minor depression.

Hope you get better chap. There’s no harm in talking to a shrink/doctor, think of a bit of CBT as an mot for the brain…there’s no shame in it.

P.S. exercise is no panacea for depression, you need to find another way to deal with it as well.

djglover
    Free Member

Think of some of the plights they come across, some poor dude with a sore rib is not high on the radar

Maybe not but my first reaction would be to ask why they are so keen to get back on their bikes if they aren’t a professional.

I wouldn’t be quick to criticize aracer, I suspect the chaps in a bit of bad place. People need support and friendship…I’d take this kind of post as a cry for help.

If you want to go for a ride when your ribs are better let me know and if you want to talk privately about depression let me know.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘GPs, injuries and mental health’ is closed to new replies.