Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • GPS: Garmin Forerunner 310XT vs Edge 500 vs Edge 800
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know there is plenty of info around but I really want to know the STW real world opinions on the devices in the title.

What I definitely want is:
    – To know where I have been, i.e. post-ride mapping (all do this)
    – Heart rate and cadence (all do this)
    – Usual functions such as speed, distance, elevation (again, all do this)

I am considering:
    Garmin Forerunner 310XT
    Garmin Edge 500
    Garmin Edge 800

All have similar features, but here is how I see the breakdown:

Edge 500- Cheapest of the lot at £225. Does everything I would like but I am unconvinced by the reports of various problems such as screens cracking easily, freezing and the questionable waterproofing (especially around the USB port).

Edge 800- Rave reviews all around and seems to do everything very well. I don’t think you could want anything more from a bike GPS device but at just over £400 for the package with the OS maps, HR strap and cadence sensor it is very pricey. I am not sure if I would ever use the live maps- does anyone actually use the live maps for navigation? I have never got lost (touchwood!!!)

Forerunner 310XT- Marketed as a Tri GPS device it seems to be an Edge 500 but without my worries about the 500. Has all the sensors and functions but is waterproof enough to swim with! Data transfer and charging is wireless too which is really nice. I had a quick look at these and the screen is very readable on the bars of the bike. As a mid price of around £320 it seems like a good, reliable compromise. Although I don’t run too often it is nice to know I have the option to use it for that too. Does it hold a GPS signal and track as well as the bike specific Edge 500 and Edge 800 though? Does it track the ride as well as the Edge units?

So then, have I got the breakdown right or is there something I am missing?

Reading too much into reviews/ horror stories on the internet?

Is the Forerunner 310XT the best for my needs (well, ‘wants’ really!)?

Many thanks in advance, DanW

uplink
    Free Member

They all track your course pretty much the same

so – given your requirements -all you’re really left with is
    What battery life do you want and how big a display you want

DanW
    Free Member

The waterproofing is a concern for me too. I am not sure if I trust the Edge 500 or trust the horror stories! Any experiences either way for the Edge 500? £100 for the peace of mind with the waterproofing of the 310XT seems like a lot to pay over the Edge 500 though. Hmmmm….

I don’t think battery life is too much of a concern as I haven’t ridden for more than 12 hours so the extra battery of the 310XT isn’t too much of a selling point for me…

uplink
    Free Member

I used a 310 at this year’s Kielder 100, it was probably the only part of my bike or me that was still performing @100% by the time I was beaten/gave up 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

The apparent robustness of the 310 is definitely appealing!

Also I have just noticed the 310 can give a readout of longitude and latitude so if the worst happens it isn’t too difficult to work out where you are which the Edge 500 and 800 don’t appear to have.

I think I would only ever use the live navigation of the Edge 800 in the event of getting lost so this advantage over the 310 is somewhat lessened.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or another option: Garmin Foretrex 401.
    It should do all that you want. It doesn’t include the heart rate monitor or cadence monitor, but you can buy these separately.
    It uses standard AAA batteries, which last about 17 hours, plus easy to carry a few spares if necessary. Also pretty useful for navigation, if you load relevant waypoints or routes.
    Mine seems to be properly waterproof, and robust enough.

Or if you want mapping, the new eTrex 30 looks good, and will support the heart rate / cadence sensors. Though its a fair bit bigger/heavier.

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ve got a 500. I’d never use the mapping enough to make the 800 worthwhile and the 500 has a much better display for on the bike than the 310.

And it shouldn’t be anywhere near the £225. I got mine for £170 with HR strap and cadence sensor.

uplink
    Free Member

If battery life isn’t an issue – the cheaper Forerunner 305 is a good choice
    It’s my everyday running/cycling GPS/computer
    Tough and waterproof

Battery lasts 8-10 hrs, hence the borrowed 310 for K100

DanW
    Free Member

Phil.W where did you get an Edge 500 with HRM and cadence sensor for £170???

DanW
    Free Member

I’m not sure I fancy AAA batteries or a big bulky unit… but the models suggested are options I will look into further

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m thinking of entering into the world of GPS thingies, I’d want one I could upload GPX files into so I could merrily head off into the hills without a map and follow a route.

Does the eTrex 30 cover those options?

djflexure

Use the 310 all the time and its a great piece of kit. Works faultlessly in the couple of years or so I’ve had it. Got it a bit cheaper than you suggest (200 or so online).

Have a 605 for mapping on road bike and Satmap for mapping on mtb.

Most of the time 310 is all I need.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I did this years Keilder 100 with a Garmin 500 and had no problem with waterproofing at all.

I can honestly say I’d now be confident to take it out in any weather.

For me the features cover everthing I need.

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma earlier on in the year. I was upgrading from the Forerunner 405, as I wanted better battery life, buttons and a bigger screen. It was between the Edge 500 and the 310XT. In the end I went for the 310XT as I was doing more running. Recently I have been on the bike more and the 310XT screen size is fine for reading back data and course navigation. I am on a iMac and use Rubitracks for data viewing. You can always use Garmin Connect, but they kinda made it shitty when they switched from Google to Bing maps.

My only issues with the 310XT have been Garmin constantly knackering things every ***ing time they release a firmware update, and then waiting 12 weeks to bring out a new upgrade which only fixes half the problems they brought in last time. For me, and I would love to hear other 310XT users experiences, the course feature has been crippled since the introduction of firmware 3.7 in that you map a route on bikeroutetoaster/gpsies/ridewithGPS etc and send it to the 310XT. The problem is the course line you are supposed to be following keeps appearing and disappearing. Not very handy when you are coming up to a busy junction and you need to know if you are making a turn, or if you just get plain lost, and the course you are following has done a Houdini act.

….other than that the hardware is bulletproof, the battery life excellent and it is an excellent compromise if you run and cycle. Just a shame the software is written by ****s.

…oh and I paid £205 inc HRM from Amazon in April 2011. So might be worth keeping an eye as there prices seem to go up and down. No way do you want to be spending £320. Cheapest at the mo is £237 at Handtec., while Amazon is £247

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I have the 800 and it is a great bit of kit. I didnt use the mapping much in the winter due to most of my riding being on familiar routes but over the summer ive riden alot (both road and mtb) in areas that i do not know particularly well so it has been useful for that.

onandon
    Free Member

The 500 is a nice solid unit, not sure why the scree would brake unless a big impact.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘GPS: Garmin Forerunner 310XT vs Edge 500 vs Edge 800’ is closed to new replies.