Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GPS, Garmin Edge
  • mrmo
    Free Member

After getting lost today, i was wondering about getting some sort of GPS to warn me before i get to a junction.

Specifically thinking about the Edges, the first question is how do they tell you where your going?
    Second, the205/305 have no map the 605/705 have a map, what difference does this make?
    Third, if you go off course do they tell you where to go or do you get ever more lost?
    ?

petrieboy

i’ve been using a 305 for a few years now and wouldnt be without it now. plan your route in memorymap before you set off ensuring your waypoints are arranged in such a way that each turn sets you off in the right direction and every junction has a waypoint even if its straight ahead. you quickly learn how to create good quality routes.

lack of maps means its not a lot of use getting you back on track once your lost, and lack of OS grid means using LatLong to find position on a map, but in any case it’ll show you the direction of your closest waypoint.

from what ive seen of the 705, the detail of the maps look like they’d be little use off-road anyway

understand how to use it and appreciate it’s limitations and you’ll get on fine – especially at the price they go for these days!

Drac

Petrie what’s the best format to export from MM to the 305?

petrieboy

Drac – route rather than track. gives you turns as you approach them rather than a line to folllow which is useless.

munkster
    Free Member

I thought that if you save as a route you rapidly run out of memory on a 205 (which I have – don’t know if the 305 has more memory) because it contains fuller/extraneous info in that file type?

On the old forum I asked about which formats on the 205 and someone very helpful (whose handle I don’t recall) said that the best thing is to save as a “course” which is what I do… And I follow the line (when I have to) and it works fine for me. Each to their own I guess.

Drac

I’ll try both as heard about the limited waypoints with 305 and use course. Cheers

petrieboy

limited waypoints can be an issue but you quikly learn that loads of waypoints just means the unit beeps at you everytime the trail bends! i managed 2 killer loops loaded up for a weekend recently no problem. other benefits of doing a route is theres no need to keep on map view, use the excellent bike computer fields and turns are shown as you approach them.
    virtual partner is good for loops you know well and do frequently too.

munkster
    Free Member

Hmm, I still prefer the “map” (such as it is!) view; if you zoom in to a reasonable scale you can discern the route not just where you currently are (ie. where the arrow would be pointing on the compass screen) but also beyond which can sometimes be informative if there’s a change of direction up ahead or something that ties in with the landscape…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GPS, Garmin Edge’ is closed to new replies.