Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GPS for Hawes area
  • moose2008
    Free Member

Anyone got any good GPS downloads for the Hawes area of the Yorkshire Dales ? I’ll be driving from Stokesley North Yorkshire for a few hours night riding tomorrow night and just fancied somewhere different. I have a garmin edge 800 so could use a GPX or anything from garmin connect. Cheers in advance.

AJames
    Free Member

http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-home/mtb-findaroute/mtb-route-doddfell.htm

This has most of the Hawes stuff on, if it’s a bit long it can be shortened at east section.

It can be done in either direction, this way you avoid the push up the penine bridle way out of Hawes.

Enjoy.

moose2008
    Free Member

A James
    Thanks, I’ve seen this one but will I not need memory map or track logs to download it to my GPS ?

AJames
    Free Member

Yep, but it’s a pretty easey route to find, print out and map in pocket should do, your never far from anywhere.

moose2008
    Free Member

Thanks. I think I’ve figured how to save it to my computer and then transport it to garmin base camp. Is it proper mountain biking or is it just roads and fire roads?

AJames
    Free Member

Erm, no its proper mountain biking… If you do all 30k of diff route you will know about it.

Watch out for the section down into Hawes! An eye opener…

smogmonster

OP, in fairness, all the BWs around there are very well marked, you’d be hard pressed to get lost…im about as inept at navigation as its possible to be and i havent managed to get (too) lost yet down there.

moose2008
    Free Member

It sounds like the perfect place to do a night ride a long way from home in a place you’ve never been. I’m guessing that the scenery will be stunning, a friend of mine has a lot of family in Hardraw and I remember it looking pretty nice as a kid when I visited with him.
    It looks as though there might be some quite promising tracks coming off that roman road which could make some nice descents or climbs too. One step at a time, I’ll head up there tonight to get a feel for the place. Cheers guys.

footflaps

I’ve got some routes (as PDFs) for that area if you’re interested?

Tan Hill Tester
    Under The Arches
    The Horses Head

Can email them if you want….

allthepies
    Free Member

Ah yes, I’ve ridden that a few years back 🙂

christhetall
    Free Member

Had a grand day out around Wensleydale a few weeks back – 46 miles with lunch at the cheese factory – cracking !!!

Route partly based on the Dodd Fell route above, but couldn’t decide whether to go up or down the Roman road, so did both.

From Bainbridge up RR to the top, through 2 or 3 gates, then BW on right (the 2nd of the two) which takes you back and then down to Buttersett. From Hawes I went up the Pennine Way – it’s the red dashes on the Dodd Fell map. This was a great climb, sttep but entirely rideable (though that was before recent heavy rain), but then flattens out so you get this long (5 or 6 miles) section along a stunning ridge before the screaming descent back down the RR

(My ride also included Castle Bolton and Stake Allotments, but this middle section was the highlight)

moose2008
    Free Member

Footflaps

That’d be great cheers, just email them accross. simonbarr05@hotmail.co.uk

moose2008
    Free Member

Christhetall
    You’ve given me too much info and now my head is fried. Which is the best way to do the loop? from bainbridge around and back to hawes or from hawes around and into bainbridge then hawes.
    I like the look from google earth of the figure 8 you described but for tonight I’ll stick to a loop ( darkness will get me ) but which way round?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘GPS for Hawes area’ is closed to new replies.