Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • gps for european road cycling – garmin or bryton?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Considering getting a gps for road cycling. Partly for UK cycling (although not needed locally it’s useful for rides further afield), but also for European riding – Spain, France, Italy etc.

Has anyone got any advice on the European mapping of either the Garmin 800 or the Bryton 50? Do they have European maps? Are they included as part of the standard package, or as expensive additional purchases? Are their European maps accurate? Any other advice or info?

Cheers!

thx1138
    Free Member

I was looking at these in the bike shop whilst waiting for my bikes to be ready. They seem like they’d be handy for exploring. Do they do anything a phone won’t? Mine has GPS built in with mapping. Or are they just expensive toys?

lazybike
    Free Member

I got mine from here the European maps that I’ve used (France) have been fine…good time to buy an 800 as the 810 is on its way.

zilog6128

Do they do anything a phone won’t?

Significantly longer battery life would be the main benefit IMO. Don’t really want my phone battery to die due to having the GPS on the whole time on a long ride!

DavidB
    Free Member

I have both units. Would recommend Garmin 800 with openstreetmap which is free. Garmin is the better unit and easier to use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘gps for european road cycling – garmin or bryton?’ is closed to new replies.