Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • gps data loggers – what do folk use….
  • boxelder

To log rides of over 24hrs – like the highland 400 or cairngorm loop?
    My garmin will last maybe 10 hours and I know you can buy extra power packs, but there must be a small alternative?

scotroutes

A Garmin that uses AA batteries.

boxelder

I’ve got an old 101 but I suppose ideally want it to connect to strava.

scotroutes

Doesn’t the 101 have any sort of data connection?

boxelder

It does with FAFF and a new cable and keyboard jiggery Pokery.
    Was hoping for a switch on and forget job for some planned big days out.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Holux 1200E. cost £25, last 11 hours each (I have 4 of them), USB charge so can usually charge them while out on exped’s and weiging only 21g each and the size of your thumb.

C

warpcow
    Free Member

I have an IGotU something-or-other (it was reviewed in the mag years back). Never used it for more than 12hrs, but never religiously charged it either; it just gets a bit whenever it plugged in to upload data. Claimed battery life is 30hrs iirc.

allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620

Frequency of GPS logging Battery life (if fully charged)
    Every 60 seconds 70 hours
    Every 30 seconds 60 hours
    Every 15 seconds 30 hours
    Every 10 seconds 20 hours
    Every 5 seconds 10 hours

nuke

Another igotu user. Very good battery life and very easy to use. I just use the velco arm holder that comes with it to attach it to my helmet…works a treat.

Having said that, I also have a Garmin etrex 20 that lasted 3 days of riding 8+ hours per day before I changed the rechargeable AA batteries in it. With the eTrex you can check battery level where as you can’t with the igotu…if I doing big days out I can keep a couple of spare AA batteries in my pack and then check the etrex battery level when stopped

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Iphone 5.

No issues to report. Solid all round.

allthepies
    Free Member

With the GPS on for >24hrs and an app recording the data ? Na 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

I use an Edge 305 which lasts me about 12 hours on all the time. Could always attache a USB charging lead to it attached to a mobile phone charger thats strapped to the frame.

I normally use the mobile phone charger to top it up overnight if I’m away.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

24hr rides are for barm pots. I run a 1second sampling rate and play techno as loud as it’ll go on the headphones for 3-4hrs MAX.

johnners
    Free Member

Battery life on my old Legend C is about 30 hours, takes a pair of AAs. You must be able to get hold of them cheaply s/h?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

HTC Hero running MMTracker. (and no sim card)

Either just on double capacity battery which gives 6 hours with screen on full, or twice that if the display is only used sparingly.
    For multi-day rides, I’ve only used it on my road bike so far and can connect to the dynamo hub for “infinite” power. I’m just waiting for delivery of my 15mm bolt-thru dyno-hub so I can use it on the mtb too 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘gps data loggers – what do folk use….’ is closed to new replies.