Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • GPS Advice – Garmin 305 any good?
  • jambon
    Free Member

I'm looking to find a simple GPS for my bike to help me explore the trais where I live – El Port in Catalunya – and not get lost.

I had a Garmin Gekko but that broke very rapidy, probably not the fault of the unit though.

Been looking at rhe Garmin Edge 305 – anyone used it? Any good? Anything loads better for similar money?

I don't need to download OS style maps to it or a colour screen, just something reliable, easy to use, reasonable display and will interface to some degree with Google Earth or similar.

Ta, J

geoffj

It would appear that the Edge 500 is the upgrade to the 305. Or if you don't want cadence / hr compatability, the 205 is worth a look.

But the 305 is a very good unit if you find a deal on one.

jambon
    Free Member

Hi – only going for the 305 as it has barimetric height info which the 205 doesn't – is it worth it? don't need the HR gubbins at all.

Ta

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The 305 is a posh bike computer, not really for navigation, as you can't upload maps to it, so you only follow a black wiggly line on a screen…..

jambon
    Free Member

Maps is Spain on a GPS is a non-starter as far as I know so a black wiggly line which I can the upload to Google earth is about as good as I can do. I'd have a map and compass with me but if you don't know where you are there both pretty uselss without a GPS.

The Gecko was about as good as I needed but the 205 / 305 has a bigger screen and is more bike friendy as far as I understand, but I haven't used one. Don't want to spend too much on something that has a high chance of getting broken as well.

Just don't know if there is anything better outy there for my purposes, that's all.

Ta

Dibbs
    Free Member

I'd be looking at one of the eTrex models if I was you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘GPS Advice – Garmin 305 any good?’ is closed to new replies.