Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Goyt Valley route – Poise Wood link?
  • PaulBecks
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s anyway i can link up the trail from Poise Wood/Woodbank without coming out onto Marple Road from Poise Wood then turning left into Otterspool to head back towards Bredbury?

Cheers Paul
    ride2@live.co.uk

monksie
    Free Member

That’s my daily commute!
    If I’ve got this right, you’re coming from Woodbank Park, past Woodlands Park, behind Offerton High school towards Bean Leach. If that’s the case, you cross the Goyt on the big blue (Pooh Sticks) Bridge at Dead Man’s Creek and turn right to follow the bridleway to Otterspool. Turn left and then nect right and Chadkirk singltrack awaits although ths land owner has barbed wired the path off so some hoisting is required.
    I’ve just reread your question. Are you following the track all the way onto Marple Rd via Holiday Lane and then road riding past Seventeen Windows and back round to Otterspool?

PaulBecks
    Free Member

Ha i think i’m in that area Monksie but i’m not familiar with all the names!

I’m heading from Woodbank ‘topside’ of the river before heading down towards the cricket ground, i take a right about have way down and along the swoopy singletrack path down into Poise Wood (across the 2 bridges) which then leads me to Holiday Lane onto Marple Road.

It’s the road bit i want to avoid to get on the otherside of the river so that i’m heading back along the Bridleway towards Bredbury Hall?

nbt

Go left down the hill instead of right through to Holiday Lane, and cross the Jim Fearnley bridge (the big green one, not blue Monksie). At the end, turn right and it takes you down to Chadkirk Chapel. turning left would take you to Bredbury hall

monksie
    Free Member

No probs – dead easy. I’m guessing you do the singletrack next to the river, round the back of the cricket club and then the short but very steep climb through the woods to the flats and then the path over ‘Rooty Dip’ and then you drop steeply but very nicely to Pooh Sticks Bridge. Go over that and follow it up past the horses. It then meets the bridleway but instead of going right for Otterspool, go left for Bredbury Hall etc.
    It’s a real gloopy mess in the woods at the moment though. I came in on the A6 today, instead.
    Basically, if you stay high out of Woodbank, follow the path but keeping looking left for the big blue bridge over the Goyt, you’ve found it.
    If you’ve got to the little bridge with the big stump (it’s just like the Marin Trail there, isn’t it?) you’ve come too far. Just as you ride up and then down to get to that little bridge, on your right is a path that goes up into a field. That’s Offerton High school. If you’re there, you’re about 20 yards too far. You need to turn round and go *steeply’ down and the bridge is there. straight over, follow the path and you go right for Otterspool or left for Bredbury Hall.

nbt

Bridge here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sll=53.404662,-2.114657

Your route to holiday lane run due south through the woods

monksie
    Free Member

I forgot to add although I doubt his family or friends will see it here;
    My condolences to the family and friends of the guy killed on the motorbike at the junction of Greek Street and Wellington Rd (A6) this morning. I wish I’d taken the off road route this morning, That junction is also ovelooked by the late Jahwomble’s Stockport residence as well.
    Sad times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Goyt Valley route – Poise Wood link?’ is closed to new replies.