Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gower Peninsula – Hard Route on STW – any good?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’m on hols with the wife and kids in July on the Gower and have been granted a one day pass for a ride. I’ve looked at the Hard Route on here and it looks great.

Does anyone have any advice – maybe some other bits that deserve a go as well, or any bits that are now not worth riding (sanitised by over-zealous council etc)?

Any help gratefully received – now just praying the weather clears up……

wonnyj
    Free Member

It’s all good. Llangennith and Rhosilli down are a must. You can extend by going into the Bishopston Valley if required.

ferrals
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t think that’s a fantastic route, fair bit of road/boring stuff where are you staying/wanting to start from? All the tracks on rhossilli/llanmadoc/ cefn Bryn are (as far as I’m aware) fair game as its common land so you can get a pretty much entirely off-road route. The track that goes along the bottom of rhossilli down is a good bit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t think that’s a fantastic route, fair bit of road/boring stuff where are you staying/wanting to start from? All the tracks on rhossilli/llanmadoc/ cefn Bryn are (as far as I’m aware) fair game as its common land so you can get a pretty much entirely off-road route. The track that goes along the bottom of rhossilli down is a good bit

You do know what common land is???

Just because it is common, doesn’t mean you have ANY access rights to it!

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m in Swansea; ping me pm and ill gladly show you around.

ferrals
    Free Member

@mrmo, yes I do, and by definition you are correct, but walkers, horse-riders, mtb-ers seem to happily use all the (well trodden) paths on those hills without any issues. I had assumed it was due to it being common land that’s managed by the n.t.

I ride there a couple of times a week and have never had anyone suggest otherwise.

P.s you come across like a **** by using caps.

mrmo
    Free Member

@mrmo, yes I do, and by definition you are correct, but walkers, horse-riders, mtb-ers seem to happily use all the (well trodden) paths on those hills without any issues. I had assumed it was due to it being common land that’s managed by the n.t.

I ride there a couple of times a week and have never had anyone suggest otherwise.

P.s you come across like a **** by using caps.

because i am feeling tetchy i could report this post for abuse,

Anyway, NT are very funny about bikes, some bits will ban and no discussion, but other parts are more enlightened, Then you get odd situation where locally bikes are banned from all tracks regardless of surface, but they have allowed a few events.

And just because you haven’t been told you can’t ride somewhere doesn’t mean you can.

ferrals
    Free Member

It’s because I’m feeling tetchy that you using caps got me riled. No hard feelings between grumpy Internet warriors? 😆

wilburt
    Free Member

Rode it years ago, can’t remember which route precisely but we all thought it was lush and one to remember. Just avoid the fields full of fussy English folk and you’ll have great time.

Nipper99
    Free Member

See the below NT bylaws that prohibit cycling on NT land. Not seen these on Cefn Bryn but are on Rhosilli Down. Nice over LLanmadoc Hill as well. I would go for the up and along the top of Rhosilli Down from the lane by the church in Llangenith – the lane below the down is usually a horse shit filled swamp.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/documents/the-national-trust-byelaws-1965.pdf

benjamins11
    Free Member

As mentioned previously the riding is not outstanding in terms of whats under your wheels, but its a great place to ride – lovely views on a warm sunny day its pretty hard to beat imho.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The ride along the Cefn Bryn ridge, end to end, is one of my favourites.

ferrals
    Free Member

Not seen that before Nipper, but then looking at the map all the paths I use are bridle ways anyway which explains why there are no issues 😆 😳

wonnyj
    Free Member

The route I was referring to is >95% offroad.

Start at penmaen, along cefn Bryn,llanmadoc, llangenith, rhosilli, return by farmland bridleway. Never had any bother with access.

Lovely views all round, couple of good sections of nice riding but mainly low key with amazing views.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Also Clyne valley trails are well worth a trip, a mini trail centre just off Swansea bay.

Kiley hill has got some more intense riding, steeper with some dh tracks.

molgrips
    Free Member

And an ice-cream at Rhosili 🙂

One place to ride that would be improved with a fat bike I reckon.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah I like similar, but tend to do over llanmadoc on the northern side, the coastal bridle way from Genith to rhossilli, up onto rhossilli down at Middleton, along the ridge then down the bridle way descent to well park then back over llanmadoc

Worth pointing out llanmadoc is very over-grown with Ferns at the moment

gowerboy

I live in Gower. People have mentioned much of it.. Best thing is to link up the bridle ways on the OS map and you are pretty well sorted. Some of the gaps in the BWs are can be linked if you are discreet. A round of all the hills is great. As said above, not technical or anything, just nice open country riding with lots of views.

Not much of it is sanitised as our council doesn’t get very zealous.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Usually on cx bike for Gower as I cycle from the Swansea Valley and take in some cheeky sections of the coast path (off season and early morning) between Mumbles and Southgate.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Gower is a great place to do anything. If you cant find a good route on the Gower you need to learn to read a map. I love it!( remember, those things made of paper that give you the big picture)

ctk
    Free Member

Cant comment on where to ride but Three Cliffs Bay is a lovely beach for kids.

IdleJon

From the NT byelaws:

(a) No unauthorised person shall:
    (iii) Ride or drive any conveyance over or upon Trust Property otherwise than upon
    roads, tracks and waterways authorised for the use of such conveyance.

Oh dear, it’s not allowed.

And also…

Hawking
    17. No unauthorised person shall on Trust Property sell or offer or expose for sale any
    commodity, or article or for the purpose of trade or reward take any photograph.

I hope that all of those semi-pro photographers who sell their lovely pictures of Gower realise that they are offending.

And as for this..

16. No unauthorised person shall bring on to Trust Property any swing, roundabout.
    organ or other like thing.

No organs? I wonder if a squeezebox is allowed?

Obscene Language
    22. No person shall on Trust Property use any indecent or obscene language to the
    annoyance of any person.

Hmmmm.

26. Every person who shall offend against any, of the foregoing Byelaws shall be
    liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £20 and in the case of a
    continuing offence to a further fine not exceeding £2 for each day during which the
    offence continues, or such other maximum as may be specified from time to time by
    any Act of Parliament enacted after the date hereof.

How much will I get fined if someone takes a photo of me riding an unauthorised track over Pennard cliffs, towing a monkey organ (possibly with attendant monkey shouting ‘B@l**!s’ at bystanders.)?

😆

iffoverload
    Free Member

the coastal path to three cliffs bay is a nice walk 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gower Peninsula – Hard Route on STW – any good?’ is closed to new replies.