Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Gower Conservation Petition
  • dcjack
    Free Member

Hello,
    Please consider signing/sharing this petition below protesting large scale development on the Gower Peninsula in Wales and the tampering with existing protection guidelines for Areas of Outstanding Nature Beauty. Gower is under constant threat from developers and the local council and never more so than at this time.

https://www.change.org/p/swansea-county-council-save-gower-area-of-outstanding-natural-beauty-and-its-green-fields?recruiter=35254126&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010214918548&fref=ts

Thank you

jezketley
    Free Member

Fairly regular visitor to the Gower. Wonderful area. Read petition and signed.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

Signed. I live in Bishopston, This is madness. There are plenty of other brownfield sites in Swansea without destroying the country’s first AONB.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimster01

Signed,love the Gower, off there again in a couple of weeks.

Twodogs

signed…but shame it’s so badly worded!!

ferrals
    Free Member

Also live on the edges of Gower. Most of my riding there, but not sure about this. I can’t quite work out whats going on, there’s not enough information. It seems at the moment there is just one proposal for houses at Pennard, then somewhere else there’s a link to Byron davis saying WG want to remove AONB status which I can’t believe. I won’t sign till I can find out more details. the facebook page and petition should have links to the actual documents and council minutes.

Also my wife is born and bred Gower and her opinion is that a lot of people who grew up in gower couldnt afford houses furter west in gower (us included) so depending on the scale and type of development it may not be so awful?

jam1e
    Free Member

ferrals – I agree in part but where houses have been built they have been way out of the price range of locals.

For example, look at the development in Llanrhidian on the site of the North Gower Hotel. Do you think that the locals can afford the exclusive town hoses that were built there?

The simple fact is that Gower is a sought after location and relaxing the planning regulations will not bring about affordable houses for the locals – simply drag in people looking for holiday homes in an attractive part of the world.

ferrals
    Free Member

Thats the problem jam1e, same as the recent developments in Murton/Bish, half a million is about as cheap as they go! its crazy. Its telling that over half of the houses in my st. have gone up into the attick for space.

IdleJon

protesting large scale development on the Gower Peninsula in Wales and the tampering with existing protection guidelines for Areas of Outstanding Nature Beauty

I can see nothing in the report that suggests tampering with the AONB and the petition doesn’t really protest large scale development in Gower, does it? It’s really a slightly veiled protest against development just outside Pennard on ‘open countryside’. (There is no open countryside around Pennard, it’s either farmland, golf course or clifftop.) All of which is slightly laughable seeing as Pennard, like just about every Gower village, has gradually spread through my lifetime, and I’m guessing that plenty of the protesters live in the newer houses.

So, I’m conflicted. As much as I love Gower and want it to retain its character, whatever that is, I’m not going to sign a petition which looks like a bunch of locals trying to protect their own cosy, too expensive homes.

Perhaps if the petition was protesting pointless house building throughout Swansea, or maybe protesting development through Gower including vast caravan parks and holiday/second homes, then I’d sign.

ferrals
    Free Member

I go the NIMBY side of things too, and after googling to find the buit they are worried about, it’s a field adjoining the linkside estate. seems quite reasoanble

IdleJon

Btw ferrals, you don’t live on the edge of Gower, you live in/on Gower. Couldn’t be more Gower if you tried. 😀

And jam1e, are you one of the Jamies who sometimes rides with the Pigs?

jam1e
    Free Member

Yeah Jon, haven’t ridden with them for ages!

ferrals
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

Btw ferrals, you don’t live on the edge of Gower, you live in/on Gower. Couldn’t be more Gower if you tried.

haha, I see it more as a suburb of swansea with a field in between.

Then again I also think of Mumbles as a suburb of Swansea, and I have a feeling many of the good residents of that ‘village’ wouldn’t like to be a ‘burb 😆

You’ve basically got solid houses all the way from town, through mumbles and out to kittle, might as well fill in the bit between kittle and pennard!

IdleJon

Then again I also think of Mumbles as a suburb of Swansea, and I have a feeling many of the good residents of that ‘village’ wouldn’t like to be a ‘burb

You’re right and therein lies the problem. 😉

Twodogs

There was talk about “rebranding” AONBs in Wales last year AONB rebranding

I agree that the petition looks like a thinly veiled objection to Pennard development, which I don’t necessarily agree with. But, there do seem to be other plans afoot…a couple of years ago, the council were considering re-zoning some land near the school in Llanrhidian and allowing a load of houses and flats on it…not sure how it would have been done, as there’s a disused quarry there. Seems to have gone quiet now.

I should come clean and confess that I’m one of the hated “holiday home” owners…originally from Ogmore, and have had a tiny 1.5 bedroom place in Llanrhidian for nearly 20 years. We get down most weekends and now I work from home a lot, am there even more..which was always the plan.

I’m sure I’d have seen some of you when I’m out on my bike!! I know there’s a group of 4 who seem to regularly ride from/near Llanrhidian.

IdleJon

I should come clean and confess that I’m one of the hated “holiday home” owners…originally from Ogmore, and have had a tiny 1.5 bedroom place in Llanrhidian for nearly 20 years.

Where is it? I’ve got the matches ready! 😀

But, there do seem to be other plans afoot…a couple of years ago, the council were considering re-zoning some land near the school in Llanrhidian and allowing a load of houses and flats on it…not sure how it would have been done, as there’s a disused quarry there.

Surely a quarry would be the very definition of a brownfield site?

Is it just me that sees the irony in Gower voting in a Tory MP and then getting up in arms when the (Labour) council wants to build homes.

Twodogs

you can’t burn me out…I’m Welsh!!

I agree that a quarry is a brownfield site, but how do you physically build in a 50 foot deep hole?! (and there’s bats there)

(oh and those houses on the old North Gower hotel seem to have a slight damp problem…only to be expected when you build on a spring I suppose!)

beano68
    Free Member

Signed ! … I grew up in that part of the world and have a lot of childhood memories … sad times if it goes ahead

Nipper99
    Free Member

i’m just outside Swansea but would say Gower has changed massively in character over the last 20 years and the whole place seems like a building site. A lot of new houses in Scurlage, the Grand Designs bunker on Llanmadoc Hill, the complex of dwellings off the end of Cefyn Bryn (the lane coming down to Fairy Hill) and innumerable barn conversions everywhere – it seems there are no quiet spots. Saying that the ride along the top of Cefyn Bryn is sill one of my favourite outings – that’s my ride for tomorrow sorted 🙂

Ioneonic

Signed. Top area.

maxlite
    Free Member

Signed….and I do live on the edge of Gower (for ‘IdleJon’) 🙂

IdleJon

You live on the edge of Swansea, you snob! 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Gower Conservation Petition’ is closed to new replies.