• This topic has 51 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Government to spend £9 million on EU vote leaflets .
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35984991

Couldn’t they just put it on the internet and save all that money ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Wrinkled, bilious old people prone to vote out only read junk mail, not online pamphlets, silly boy.

Nico
    Free Member

Some lame excuse about wanting to reach out to people other than sad men in IT.

br
    Free Member

Pretty efficient if they can only spend £9m and get a leaflet to every household – about 34p each including delivery.

Bet it’s nearer £20m.

vondally
    Free Member

There is a real issue of digital illiteracy amongst the UK populus so one level it makes sense

But

Most of the govt systems is heading online…benefits and so on seems out of kilter with that general direction of travel…

Secondly I thought to the referendum was non political vote…so how can the govt use tax payers money for!this?

vondally
    Free Member

Be…whitehall fiqures …real cost will come out in the FOI or public enquiry

ads678

Government to spend ***enter amount*** telling us some stuff which may or may not be true but we’ll never really know anything about anything because it politics innit……..

Same old political drivel zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jimw
    Free Member

I think I’ll send mine when it comes to Liam Fox as he obviously hasn’t read and understood the contents

Without a stamp of course

DezB
    Free Member

ads678 has it.

verses

An earlier version of that article said £3.4mill of it was on a website version. I’m not quite sure how that much can be spent setting up a website full of conjecture…

EDIT: From the Guardian… My figures were slightly out…

Producing, printing and delivering leaflets would cost £6.4m, No 10 said, while digital promotion and an accompanying website would cost almost £2.9m.

Stoner
    Free Member

If anyone does care about the facts then can I suggest Chipping in to the crowd fund here
    https://fullfact.org

I have.

molgrips
    Free Member

The leave campaign can also spend public money, btw. So most likely will. What will the exiters complain about then?

binners

Everyone knows that the internet is for people doing naughty things to each other, pictures of kittens and arguing with strangers. Not politics

Anyway… shouldn’t that headline just have read: “Government spends money on promoting government policy”?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Everyone knows that the internet is for people doing naughty things to each other, pictures of kittens and arguing with strangers. Not politics

What about kittens doing naughty things with strangers?

binners

Has Jammers not turned up yet to tell us why the EU is the root of all evil, and is presently legislating to make eating babies compulsory?

He’s slacking

And he’s chipped in more than £9 million of his vast fortune to personally fund the outers/xenophobic little England nut-jobs 😀

DaRC_L

Funnily enough I had 2 or 3 Brexit junk mail already

Pigface
    Free Member

I fear that this campaign over the EU is going to be as rough as it comes, really nasty bitey gougey kind of fight.

br
    Free Member

Producing, printing and delivering leaflets would cost £6.4m, No 10 said, while digital promotion and an accompanying website would cost almost £2.9m.

So it’s now only 24p per house 🙂

binners

I fear that this campaign over the EU is going to be as rough as it comes, really nasty bitey gougey kind of fight.

well given that the main protaganists are two halves of the tory party?

😆

jimw
    Free Member

Yes I have also had a couple of Brexist mail drops and they make what I have seen of the one we are getting from the govt. look like Shakespeare -hysterical poorly written twaddle full of grammatical errors is an understatement.

DaRC_L

jimw + 1

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

According to R4 news, money spent included website not just pamplets. Amusing to hear Liam Fox trying to get cross about it but not quite succeeding.

Tried immotive words like propaganda, but compared with the constant flow of out-an-out lies coming out of the outers, this is a bit misplaced. He could always start a petition I suppose…

kimbers

binners – Member
    Has Jammers not turned up yet to tell us why the EU is the root of all evil, and is presently legislating to make eating babies compulsory?

what, a brexiter with a reputation for using completely made up facts to support their argument?

I simply dont believe it

bruneep

The official designated Leave and Remain campaigns will get public funding to issue their own leaflets to voters during the campaign proper, and will get a page each in a further leaflet the Electoral Commission watchdog will send every household.

But the cost of the Government leaflet and a linked website is still more than the £7million spending limit which the two official campaigns will each be permitted once they are designated, to spend in the last 10 weeks of the referendum campaign.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/658797/EU-referendrum-Fury-PM-10-million-proBrussels-leaflets

and the gov blow another £9-10M on biased info.

mind boggling amounts spent in these austere times

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Farrage was on the news last night complaining about the oppo making things up – he did have a nice tin of spray starch in his hand though, so probably ok

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stoner me too

Leaflet and mailing is £6m plus £3m spent on “targeted digital advertising”

From what I understand there will be 3 more, one for official Remain/Leave and one reminder. Note full budget for Remain/Leave is set at £7m so this government mailing already exceeds the total budget each campaign will have

binners

From what I understand there will be 3 more, one for official Remain/Leave and one reminder. Note full budget for Remain/Leave is set at £7m so this government mailing already exceeds the total budget each campaign will have

Even worse than that though is the fact that all the countries media, and its megalomaniac owners, are all so fanatically pro-EU, and are almost evangelical about honestly and calmly pointing out all the advantages of membership

Its just, like SOOOOOOO not fair!

andeh

….but they wouldn’t need to print the leaflets if the out campaigners didn’t demand a referendum in the first place…..so it’s actually GO’s fault, right?

dragon
    Free Member

mind boggling amounts spent in these austere times

Not really it peanuts, and presumably mostly goes to the leaflet printer and Postoffice. It’s a one off cost and hardly like they are sending them out every week.

jon1973
    Free Member

Not really it peanuts,

I know where you’re coming from, but £9m is still £9m. There must be loads of this type of thing, written off as ‘peanuts’ that add up to quite a lot.

Think how many people’s total annual tax contribution you need in order to raise £9m.

jimw
    Free Member

When you compare it to the amount wasted on trying to set up the Universal Credit system £700m spent so far of which £130m has already been written off on that one…………….for 140,000 claimants

kimbers

Think how many people’s total annual tax contribution you need in order to raise £9m

depends which people….

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/07/ex-hsbc-boss-michael-geoghegan-panama-papers-tried-to-avoid-tax-kensington-house

CountZero

andeh – Member
    ….but they wouldn’t need to print the leaflets if the out campaigners didn’t demand in campaigners hadn’t promised a referendum in the first place…..so it’s actually GO’s fault, right?

FTFY
    Oh, and I’ll be crossing out my name and address and writing RTS on it and sticking it back in the post box.
    It would be nice if every other recipient did the same thing…

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

34p per household for the leaflet. That’s 17p each in my household (and my wife isn’t eligible to vote in the referendum).

14 pages of stuff telling me why I should vote to stay for 17p of my money is completely fine with me. I am also completely happy with paying another 17p to have the same from the leave campaign. Then I would have info from both sides so I can make a decision either way.

Given how important this vote could be, I would happily see more of my taxes go towards informing me. Far rather this than seeing it disappear to some private sector company rinsing me.

The leave campaign should stop moaning and get on with their own leaflet.

molgrips
    Free Member

The leave campaign should stop moaning

😆

wilburt
    Free Member

The marketing company that wrote the blurb is registered in British Virgin Islands, managed by Deloite, Camerons brother in law is a director of the business and his wife owns shares in a third company which in turn has shares in the business.

The UK printers made a loss from the deal but the BVI.co managed to turn a few quid which will be banked and put the someones off spring through Eton so they can go on to lead our great country, clamp down on scoundrels with spare bedrooms and reward hard working families..sort of…well saying they are whilst pissing up their backs and skimming the top. Bad weather out init.

gordimhor

I suppose the brexiters point is that this is 9million pounds of government money not Remain money. I suppose the Leave campaign doesn’t have that kind of money. What’s really funny is listening to all the wailing about it not being fair

jambalaya
    Free Member

Exactly @gordi. Got a mailing earlier from Boris/Leave – each official campaign can spend £11.7m – except the govt just spent an extra £9.3m so hardly a level playing field. Also there is no limit on govt campaign spending nor on the EU itself

br
    Free Member

The marketing company that wrote the blurb is registered in British Virgin Islands, managed by Deloite, Camerons brother in law is a director of the business and his wife owns shares in a third company which in turn has shares in the business.

Is this true, if so a link would be good – ta.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Government to spend £9 million on EU vote leaflets .’ is closed to new replies.