Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gouged carbon frame bottom bracket repair help
  • bullit
    Free Member

Stripping down my Lapierre zesty carbon frame for B&B replacement I noticed a gouge right around the bottom bracket of the frame – it looks like something has gotten stuck beneath granny ring and has been scoring the carbon with every revolution of the crank. The gouge is about 1mm deep and 1.5mm wide and I’m obviously concerned and now not keen to knock out the pressfit bb cup in case the frame breaks.

Any advice as to how to deal with this ? I’m guessing as its carbon it can be professionally repaired , but would like to avoid massive expense if at all possible. Is this damage terminal for the frame , or is there enough thickness in the carbon bottom bracket shell not to be too concerned?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I don’t think frame repair is exceptionally expensive. Having to replace an entire frame would be though. Plus just going off what you’ve said it doesn’t sound like it’s terrible.. I’d get in touch with a proffessional, i rekon you’d pay less than £100 to sort it.

globalti
    Free Member

The OP must be in the USA, he wrote “gotten”.

I’m sure it can be repaired for a few dollars, or even by applying a good dollop of epoxy adhesive.

kevj
    Free Member

Fibre-Lyte
    Get in touch with these guys.

bullit
    Free Member

Not a yank , but a lazy scot! looking at damage now I’m not in panic mode i dont think its as bad as first feared. just gotten 🙂 myself a bit freaked out seeing it on expensive frame. will see if lbs think it needs sorting. many thanks for the comments and help.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Don’t think the amount of damage you have is any issue, I took much bigger chunks of impact damage out of the back end of my old zesty with out any issues. I would take this opertunity to put a hope bb in after going through FSA ones in three months it’s nice to have over 6 months and counting hassle free!!!

Northwind

Such a small scratch, the solution is to forget it exists. You could build it back up with araldite or similiar if you want to feel like you’ve done something, might conceivably protect from future damage or water damage though probably not.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want it fixed professionally, I can recommend HQ Fibre.

Don’t think they have a website but very helpful if you bell them and very satisified with their work (was under £100).

bencooper
    Free Member

It doesn’t sound deep enough to worry about to me – if it’s only 1mm it probably won’t be through the top coat.

bullit
    Free Member

Cheers for the helpful and positive comments guys – think I will build it back up and forget it for now. Am doing a full service if bearings etc so BB will be replaced too. C

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I had a very similar size impact in my carbon frame along the top tube it wasn’t worth a full repair but spoke to repair people about it, they sent me some carbon fibres & I bought some epoxy resin from them did a DIY repair
    It wasn’t pretty but really did the job of just strengthening the area

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gouged carbon frame bottom bracket repair help’ is closed to new replies.