Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • got the wife a bike & going for a overnight stay in the Lakes…idea's please
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought my wife a mtb. its yet to be built but we’re planning on an over night stay next month in the Lakes (pod time).

bearing in mind she’ll be completely raw with no skills wheres best to go riding?

trail center? Whinlatter?

a good day out on the trails with a pub stop – any suggestions

don’t want anything too technical or challenging that will put her off

Trekster

Whinlatter blue and maybe some of Grizdale?
    Have a look a bogtrotters easy routes
    Glentress has pods and great beginners trails with the GT hotel just a walk down the hill
    Mabie House Hotel has 3 pods and there are some easy sections of the red you could add in
    Ae green/ blue is fairly easy, all my SO can manage or wants to. No cafe now so she might not be so keen!

lee93
    Free Member

Best to do whinlatter blue and if she ok with that id say do south red north may be alittle technical for her!
    You could always do longscale fell not verry technical but its high

sefton
    Free Member

theres a site with pods at Ullswater – thought we could have a go at the shore single track around there? (probably miss a climb up high st though) 😯 😆

they also have a site with pods in Whinlatter

or grizdale and do the Parkamoor loop (she could always push down the descent at the end – I’ll wait at the bottom for her) 😆

grum
    Free Member

theres a site with pods at Ullswater – thought we could have a go at the shore single track around there?

Um…. if that’s the bit I’m thinking of it’s not one for beginners!

Loughrigg Fell/Terrace near Ambleside is non-technical and very scenic

Elsa
    Free Member

I think there’s pods at Grizedale

crispo
    Free Member

Good thing for a begginer at grizedale too is that you can just hop onto bits of the red from the forrestry track rides they have.

Great views if the weathers good and there are bits of bridleway that you can add on fairly easily/

The blue loop at whinlatter is good fun but not very long.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Start out on the Grizedale forestry tracks I reckon. Add in sections of the built trail when she feels like it.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

It depends how raw she is.If you’re thinking of planning a ride yourself, even the so-called simple routes in the lakes have some fairly steep gradients, even roads that lead to such delights as Loughrigg Terrace can be enough to break a spirit no matter how keen.
    Trail centre may be better with no nasty surprises.

totalshell

keep it simples.. do what me and the then mrs did on my first ride in 88. start bowness ferry across lake, lake side through claife bw to windermere road. nice and easy ( very easy) plenty to see and do ferry etc bike riding gives you both chance to learn and understand the bike.. nice day out.. enjoy.
    evening meal in the Positano in Bowness book at least a week ahead. everybody goes home happy!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Second Claire Heights or Loughrigg terrace – shame to go to the Lakes and ride around in circles in a man made forest.

Old Coach Road is pretty good for a beginner too, but a bit one-way without a lift.

Definately want to avoid the Ullswater Singletrack ;0

lowey

Whinlatter Blue is actually and brilliant trail. My kids and ex loved it!

Otherwise Grizedale fire roads are marked, non technical and have some great views.

I reckon Lougrigg would be one to avoid unless you like stop starting around disgruntles octogenarian redsocks.

sefton
    Free Member

well we’re booked into a pod for an overnight stay next to Whinlatter.

The bike will be ready on Thursday so it will be the first time she has ridden in 20yrs! (just hope she’ll be ok) I showed her the decent at Whinlatter and it scared her (if shes slow and careful on the berms the rest is just swoopy single track with the odd lump to jump if you wish).

thought we’d spend some time on the fire rd’s & family trail then hit the blue route.

hope she’ll be ok

domino

Suitable shorts, tea and cake, hopefully some sunshine and you’ll be fine.

sefton
    Free Member

anywhere else in keswick?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘got the wife a bike & going for a overnight stay in the Lakes…idea's please’ is closed to new replies.