Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • Got the news that i did not want to get………;o(
  • ton

after 2 failed cardioversion procedures, i went to see the cardiologist today to see what is the next step.
    he has decided to send me for cardiac ablation, but told me that there is only a 50/50 chance of it working, due to the rhythm my heart has gone into.
    he told me that there is a big possibilty that i will be in AF for the rest of my life.
    also that i will probably have to stay on rat poisen and beta blockers for good too.
    i am devestated to be honest. the thought of not being able to cycle anything more difficult than the canalside has brought me to tears.
    i am praying for all my worth that the ablation works.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

*big man hug*

molgrips
    Free Member

Me too mate.

Never give up though, there’s always hope somewhere or other.

uplink
    Free Member

50/50 is as good as it’s bad – keep hoping

what’s AF?

donsimon
    Free Member

What a bastard!
    Best of luck with everything, I’m off to Google ablation now.

yossarian
    Free Member

<Joins hug>

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Sorry to hear Ton but hope it goes well for you.

Mantastic
    Free Member

fingers crossed for you fella, if you need an escape in the meantime loads of canals/stress free riding near me (Midlands) and your welcome for a pootle anytime.

50/50 means there is still plenty of hope.

racefaceec90

am sorry to hear that 🙁 good luck man.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bugger.

There must be ways round the exercise thing surely? Not realy my field of expertise at all but I don’rt see why it reduces your exercise capacity that much *goes off to google*

Electric assisted full on MTB for you sir?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ton, best of luck, old chap. You deserve it.

Drac

Ah sorry to hear that. But remember be thankful what you have it’s going to be hard to come to terms but think of the good things. Here’s hoping it works.

Give that AF some fist pie.

Kato

Fingers crossed Ton!

thejesmonddingo

Are you having it in Leeds,ton?50% success rate is a good bet,I’d say,but it’s not my heart.Lots and lots of luck to you.
    Ian

rob-jackson
    Free Member

To be honest mate the shittest thing i have seen today 🙁 and trust me its been a shit day!

Come ride in the white epak and have a few pints with me anytime!

ton

thanks fella’s

teej, been doing a fair bit of homework re the electric assist stuff.
    i just has a feeling that i was not gonna get sorted, so been doing a bit of planning ahead.

thejesmonddingo, yes mate, in the LGI.

neilforrow

ton, my dad has just come out the other side of this… abalation, c/v’s valve replacement, the works. rest assured the treatment does work, and he is now back into normal life and off the rat poison…. keep positive fella.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

tony, have they said you need to use beta blockers specifically? i was able to switch, that is drop the beta blocker and although i’m still on them for life i use an ACE inhibitor and a calcium channel blocker instead, which don’t seem to have that restrictive side effect the BB can have…
    but yeah, shit news mate and fingers crossed for the future.

molgrips
    Free Member

i just has a feeling that i was not gonna get sorted

That’s the depression talking.. you don’t see the future really, you just think you see it according to your mental state.. which makes it a vicious circle!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t begin to imagine how you’re feeling. Best of luck with it. I hope it turns out well.

meehaja
    Free Member

Focus on the good… you live in Leeds, LGI is one of the best cardiac centres in the country, they are good at what they do! Hope all goes well.

singletrackmind

2 ex colleagues of mine both had it done ( if its the switch you off / then on again to reset the heart beat ) . Both successful and showed improvements within days . Sorry to say the warfarin and BB stayed , albeit at a reduced rate .

Keep your chin up , hope it works out for you .

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hang in there Ton, fingers crossed for you.

lowey

Bollocks. Great big man hug from me mate. I really really hope it works out for you Tony.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

focus on teh good – you live in leeds? wtf??

Drac

2 ex colleagues of mine both had it done ( if its the switch you off / then on again to reset the heart beat ) .

That’s cardioversion. Ablation involves them inserting a catheter through an artery and zapping ‘broken’ parts of the hear muscle.

allthegear
    Free Member

{hug} from me, too Ton – that’s hard news to take.

Rachel x

project
    Free Member

Best wishes Ton,

thejesmonddingo

LGI’s a top centre ton,you’ll be in good hands.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Af= atrial fibrillation. Dodgy heart rhythm I think?? and controlled via rat poison (warfrin). Hope the treatment works for you. Best of luck!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ton – do the research into the medical stuff as well – As I said not my field and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but I wonder how many active folk the cardiologist treats and whether a different cocktail of drugs would allow you to exercise more? Certainly something worth looking into. The only stuff I could find was on mild exercise not serious stuff.

Self help groups might have info as well.

yunki
    Free Member

All the best big fella..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry big fella 🙁 Chin up and all that. Stay positive and keep chipping away. Hope things improve. Love from your favourite paddy. X

Drac

Your Cardiac Nurse will be the one to talk to about exercise, they’re more down to earth about such things. According to my Dad who has AF.

anokdale
    Free Member

Hang in there pal, 50/50 and the LGI are good odds.

emsz
    Free Member

😥

I hope it goes well for you.

More hugs

fisha
    Free Member

hope things go ok for you ton. Chin up and i hope the odds fall in your favour.

Esme
    Free Member

50% chance of success sounds pretty good to me! And if not, there are plenty of canals in West Yorkshire

When is your epic Downhill Day going to take place?

Moses

Fingers crossed and best wishes.
    Man-hugs, too.

midlifecrashes

My brother had AF and several failed cardioversions at Hull and Nottingham before they got him to Leeds for ablation. He was fed up like you beforehand and unable to get on with things. His went well and after a couple of months he was well again and back playing five a side. Don’t feel down when the doc recognises something hasn’t worked for you when there are still other options and they’re keen to work through them with you. It did take them two goes at the ablation though, so it may drag on a bit more, chin up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Got the news that i did not want to get………;o(’ is closed to new replies.