Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • got the horn for a Fattie – Specalized or Trek
  • sefton
    Free Member

I like the spec of the Specalized fuse pro – reba 120mm

but the expert is £300 cheaper – but 10speed / 100mm fork (not sure how good these are)

might be able to swing the £1000 expert on cycle to work too (evans)

swanny853

Consider a Stache- hilariously fun bike. 29+ rather than b+ though if that bothers. Only reason I don’t have one is I bought a house last year…..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

As has been said you need to decide whether you want 27.5 plus or 29 plus . The Trek is 29 plus and from all accounts is a brilliant bike but it could easily become an obsolete wheel size in the next year or 2 as virtually nobody but Trek is doing it , 27.5 plus is much more established with most manufacturers making at least one

swanny853

^true.

Although the Trek will also take 27.5plus or 29 with a change of forks and wheels, so not a complete write off. Alex of this parish has done it and rather likes it IIRC

dovebiker

29+ has been around for 5 years, predates 27.5+ and it’s a very popular format for bike packers, plus there are more and more tyres becoming available – Surly, Maxxis, Vittoria, Bontranger, WTB – it’s not going to disappear overnight.

sefton
    Free Member

hold on…they are different wheel sizes? haha

which is best? joke!

LMT
    Free Member

I test rode a stache and the fuse, as I shorty I thought the stache was a little too tall at the front. The fuse is a great bike although I will agree with MBR it can be a bit harsh on the ride. But saying that it’s my go to bike I’ve got the expert version? Green/yellow with manitou forks, they are the best forks I’ve ever had or possibly best set up.

Alex

Alex of this parish has done it and rather likes it IIRC

Yep, Started 29+ and now 27.5+. Prefer it in the latter config but it’s loads of fun either way. Run mine with 140mm Yari and 800mm Spank bars and it doesn’t feel too high to me.

27.5+

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HhQZw7]Chubby Evo now on non borrowed hoops[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

29+

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Cd7HsG]First ride of the Chubby![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

One thing I like about the trek is you can ‘shorten’ the chainstays when switching to 27.5+. A mate has the 29+ and I’ve ridden them back to back down the same trails. Very different, 29+ is a proper little fattie – monster truck like whereas 27.5+ is like a very comfy, very grippy, surprisingly agile hardtail.

I’m not selling the 29+ wheels and forks tho. Definitely stick ’em back on this year for a bit.

ticsmon

Was waiting for my ride to work voucher to come and Evans sold the last fuse pro in large the day before I got the email. I was miffed so went for the Santa Cruz chameleon instead. A lot more expensive but what the hell !!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘got the horn for a Fattie – Specalized or Trek’ is closed to new replies.