Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Got some new Plus tyres, but can't unseat the old ones
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

👿

Bought some nice new WTB tubeless Bridger/Trail Boss to put on my Genesis Tarn and can’t get the incumbent tyres, the CST BFT 3.0, wired tyres that came with the bike, to unseat from the WTB Scraper i45 rims to make way for them.

Have tried complete deflation of tube by removing valve core, slathering junction between rim with soapy water, and rocking and squeezing the blasted things until my thumbnails feel fit to pop off.

They haven’t budged so much as a millimetre, certainly not enough to get a tyre lever in.

Anything else to try before I skip the usual tail-between-legs walk of shame to the LBS and just head straight round to my local branch of Kwik Fit?

Also, is this A Thing with plus tyres, or have I just been unlucky/mechanically incompetent?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Kettle water + screwdriver as a lever/prise thing (gently!)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Kettle as in boiling hot?

tillydog
    Free Member

Kettle + screwdriver as a lever

😯

Hold the wheel at a shallow angle to the floor and stand on the tyre where it touches the floor. Get the heel of your shoe right next to the bead. (It’s a tubeless “thing” rather than a plus bike “thing”)

scaled
    Free Member

Put the wheel on the grass and stand on the tyre – job jobbed.

benpinnick

What Scaled said. Once the air is out just stand on it. It will come unseated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Got some new Plus tyres, but can't unseat the old ones’ is closed to new replies.