Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Got pulled over by the Bike Police this morning…
  • psychle
    Free Member

and it was a good thing! 🙂

They'd set up a 'Mobile Police Office' on Upper St and were pulling cyclists over. Initial thought was obviously 'oh dear, what have I done wrong??' and I got all defensive ('cause I hadn't done anything that I knew of!)…

But then the Officer said, "fear not good citizen, we are here to help you! Let us fit a free e-tag to your noble steed so that when we recover it from some ne'er-do-well we'll be able to trace it back to you via electronicity trickery…"

Had a good conversation with them re. bike security & theft in the area, apparently they're on the case and are undertaking 'operations' to help reduce it… we shall see I guess…

I suggested one of the biggest things they could do would be an education program for bike owners themselves, showing them what locks just aren't worth bothering with! And they should stop bike stores selling these locks altogether; personally I think it's almost criminal that a LBS will sell a bike with nothing but a frickin 'kryptoflex' lock and tell folk that it'll protect their investment…

wwaswas

fear not good citizen, we are here to help you! Let us fit a free e-tag to your noble steed so that when we recover it from some ne'er-do-well we'll be able to trace it back to you via electronicity trickery…"

they're really 'down with the kids' language wise these days, I see.

myheadsashed

did he have a shield and a shiney lance 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoCo
    Free Member

Elizabethan coppers what next? Was he wearing a ruff?

WackoAK
    Free Member

I assumed it would have been for this?

psychle
    Free Member

they're really 'down with the kids' language wise these days, I see.

I may have been paraphrasing… perhaps it went more like this:

"Word up homie G, don't shizzle your nizzle, I is here to 'elp you innit? Today we is fitting these fly electro trackers fo free, wicked eh?" 😆

I assumed it would have been for this?

Nah, was on my Brompton. The Frankenbike needs no protection… it eats scrotes for breakfast (not mine I hasten to add… 😆 )

LoCo
    Free Member

You scallywag you!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

personally I think it's almost criminal that a LBS will sell a bike with nothing but a frickin 'kryptoflex' lock

I almost never use my bike as transport and never leave it out of sight outdoors, so I have no need for a lock (not that anyone would want to nick it)

tracknicko
    Free Member

my mate got yanked over by the po po's the other day and slapped with a £30 fine for riding through a (deserted) pedestrianised area.

rumour is they are clamping down in central sheffield. you have all been warned!

ojom
    Free Member

You would not believe me if i told you how many average people who use bikes will not pay even £20 for a lock.

It is quite staggering really.

psychle
    Free Member

Fair enough, I know customers don't always listen to the advice you're giving them!

When I see bikes secured on the street with nothing but a Kryptoflex or the like, and the owner is there, I have a bit of a chat, pointing out just how quickly a thief would have it off if they wanted to (about 5 seconds, if that!). A lot of people then tell me that the store they bought the bike off told them the lock would be sufficient? 😯

I've often wondered if it isn't some sort of 'scam'; sell someone a bike, with an inadequate lock, then when it gets stolen (which it will in London, if you're leaving it on the street!) the punter comes back, buys another bike off their insurance, and also buys a better lock! So two sales for the store(s)?? Or am I being a little paranoid there? 😉

psychle
    Free Member

BTW, the Police will be running this again on the 2nd & 3rd of June on the Islington Green, along with other cycle related things… so if you want your bikes done for free, get on down there!

Copper also mentioned that they'll be running some 'sting' operations during the school holidays, using bait bikes and inadequate locks, so that should help reduce theft a little (for a while!)

timmys

Police will be running this again on the 2nd & 3rd of June on the Islington Green

Don't suppose they mentioned if they were going to be going this at the "Islington Sports and Cycling Festival" on the 20th June at the Emirates did they? I'd like to get it done but a weekday isn't so easy for me to pop along.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

the questions pour in now….psychle, do you know if this is just an Islington thing or will they becoming to other boroughs?

Karinofnine

That's cool, can you buy them?

duntmatter
    Free Member

Walking down Dewey Road last night I heard a bunch of lads.. 'I got a Brompton the other day' 'Yeah, I got a Spesh'

They live there, 50m from North London's biggest police station. 🙄

jackthedog
    Free Member

tracknicko
    my mate got yanked over by the po po's the other day and slapped with a £30 fine for riding through a (deserted) pedestrianised area.

Where'd the homie get pulled by the five-o? Fargate or something?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

This happened to a mate – the irony was that he was riding a stolen bike.

jackthedog
    Free Member

And he's your mate?

psychle
    Free Member

This happened to a mate – the irony was that he was riding a stolen bike.

That he knew was stolen??

psychle, do you know if this is just an Islington thing or will they becoming to other boroughs?

Don't know mate, looked to be Islington based… I guess check with your local Police Station? I think (don't quote me though!) that most boroughs have a similar scheme, if you ask?

if they were going to be going this at the "Islington Sports and Cycling Festival"

Again, don't know 🙁 . But it sounds like an event they may well attend? Maybe give the council a call on 020 7527 4354 to check?

That's cool, can you buy them?

I think it's an Immobitag, cost's £14 normally… Website here for more info.

scaredypants

my mate got yanked over by the po po's the other day and slapped with a £30 fine for riding through a (deserted) pedestrianised area

I thought it was only on pavements beside roads that you could be done (unless there's a byelaw maybe ?)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

This is running all over – they were in Richmond Park some weeks back. Good positive action.

tracknicko
    Free Member

well there may be more to his story (normally is) but i do beleive it was on the moo-er.

zaskar
    Free Member

They are doing this in Bristol in June stopping people and advising about security and tags.

Only a good thing (if you're not late for work)

OP did he look like this?

allthepies
    Free Member

It's actually a tracker chip so they can monitor your wearabouts

</tinfoilhat>

Cougar

They're monitoring your clothing now?

theflatboy
    Free Member

whippersnapper – Member

the questions pour in now….psychle, do you know if this is just an Islington thing or will they becoming to other boroughs?

my experience of such and other police intiatives is that they are completely borough-centric so will not be widespread unless other boroughs independently decide to do the same thing. maybe you'll have to start diverting through islington to try to get involved!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i could do that but I am all the way over in Camden so it's a bit of trek 😉

tiger_roach
    Free Member

And he's your mate?

I'm sorry, I lied for a moment of mirth….

theflatboy
    Free Member

whippersnapper – Member

i could do that but I am all the way over in Camden so it's a bit of trek

yeah fair play – it's all too easy to get carried away with this cycling!

pitduck
    Free Member

(Cougar ) They're monitoring your clothing now? 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Got pulled over by the Bike Police this morning…’ is closed to new replies.