Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Got plated yesterday…
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

So I had my wrist plated back together yesterday after I shattered it Friday. My god it is sore and it feels like i can feel the metal work.

Counting down the days until I can ride….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you will be able to feel the metal work, recently had a load in my leg,

Drac

24 years later and I can still at time feel the metal work in my femur.

Basil

Are they leaving the metal in?
    Turned up at my app at fracture clinic the other week to be told that it’s healing well and then they will take the plate and screws out in another month (collarbone)

juanking

Yup, I can still feel the metalwork the top of my right tibia. Can feel the screws and if you bang a screw you feel it through the bone. Ach you’ll live.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Good to know I am not going mad.

How long did it take for you all to get back out on the bike?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Had plate and screws in my left wrist since 2007, if i push down in certain places can feel the heads of a couple of the screws which is a bit weird… Best thing i bought initially was a neoprene wrist brace, helped get my head back into riding with the injury if anything.
    think it was about a month after the operation that i was riding again. 😕

TiRed

Can’t feel mine (Volar plate under the wrist for a serious comminuted distal radius fracture). But I think the screws are through and out the top as I’ve had persistent tendonitis in the flexors of my first two fingers and will probably have a couple of screws taken out in a while. Road riding is getting in the way at the moment.

Six weeks to get on a (static) bike, but I had a lot of other injuries. Three and a half months and I’m back road racing.

I can recommend a Demon Flexmeter double snowboarding wrist guard, but still haven’t tested mine off road yet (four months).

gears_suck
    Free Member

I love it how you ask a question and get a load of balls weighing irrelevant nonsense.
    I don’t know exactly or approximately how long you will be off your bike. Why didn’t you ask your doctor that question?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Broke left wrist and right elbow June 2009, back on the bike Easter 2010, but the elbow was worse than the wrist and took 6 months just to start healing.

Once you have surgery the break is technically ‘fixed’ but it’ll be sore for a few weeks and you don’t want to risk the wound getting infected anyway. I’d give it 4 weeks from surgery – start small, you don’t want to find out it gives you eye watering pain half way down 50 shades of Black, I’d personally try to mitigate the chance of landing on it again for 6-8 weeks post surgery at least.

It’s very unusual for NHS to remove a plate unless it’s causing you problems, too great a risk of infection for no reward. I’ve had my elbow plate out, but wrist is still in 6 years later. Hurts first thing in the morning if it’s cold and if I ride a lot of rough stuff – had an uplift day at Antur Stiniog last week, was killing me by 4pm, took 2 pints to sort it 😉

deev
    Free Member

I cant feel the screws in my knee from my acl because the surgeon countersunk them. Colin Walker at the New Victoria in Glasgow, 5 months on and I can ride perfectly well again. Amazing stuff.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I was curious of other people’s experiences more than anything.

From my side all very open ended. 4-8 weeks dependant on opinion. I just want to start m&s bing as I am getting cabin fever.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Got plated yesterday…’ is closed to new replies.