Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Got mice in your shed? What did they eat?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

About a year ago I put up a row of bike hooks to hang bikes and gear from. I had some Camelbacks, some bikepacking bags and my Ortlieb panniers. I was just sorting through some stuff and found a mouse had gotten up there somehow and had all but scoffed through a pannier, the corner of a Camelbak and a Revelate pouch.

I’ve taken everything out of the shed, and need to review the security. I’ve ordered a load of traps and poison. I need to rig up a higher shelf with some secure boxes.

Usually around harvest time we get a few field mice but this is exceptional.

Anyone else had bother with mice?

Drac

I get them on the garage now and then, they eat anything.

alanl
    Free Member

The inside of my winter motorbike gloves disappeared.
    Half a small cardboard box.

nant
    Free Member

Had some mice eat all the primer bubbles on the lawnmower,strimmer and chainsaw!!!?!!
    Seriously annoying and costly to fix!

martymac

i remember my grandad telling me he went into town one day in his skoda fabia, got about a mile down the road and it overheated.
    got my uncle to tow him back home and discovered that half the coolant hoses had been eaten.
    another time he was showing my 11yo daughter his ancient radio, which when plugged in didnt work, so he opened up the back to discover most of the soft bits inside were gone.
    i can also remember when he was in the midst of getting the gas fire installed, a pregnant mummy mouse had gone in there and gave birth to 6 babies.
    we know there were 6, because when they came out the cat brought us them all, and eventually mummy too.
    it lived beside that fire for about a week.

scotsman
    Free Member

A bit of Haribo on the traps works for me everytime.

breadcrumb

Caught four last week in my bucket trap.

Only thing so far that’s looked a bit eaten is a sponge.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The liners of my snowboard boots, various boxes, plastic sheeting, one glove, a lot of grass seed and lastly a huge quantity of poison. They were probably rats rather than mice though as I’ve seen rats since but never yet seen a mouse nearby.

beej

Bite valve on Camelbak bladder. Bit of a brake hood. Some of the foam mattress that sits under the turbo. Could have been quite salty.

paladin

A 20kg sack of birdseed

CountZero

I don’t think the mouse currently living under my shed is too bothered about the contents above, it’s getting all the food it can possibly eat from the bird feeders hanging in the tree next to the shed; mucky little sods drop half the sunflower hearts on the patio underneath, so the mouse just darts out from the underside of the shed about three feet, snaffles another bit of seed, and shoots back.
    Obviously getting plenty of energy from its diet, because the bloody neighbourhood cats that lurk under the tree haven’t managed to get it yet. 😀

Tracey

We had a rat eat its way up through the floor in our old shed. Ate a load of slug pellets. It managed to get back out but died under the shed. Found it when removing the base earlier this year.

scaredypants

they like knee pads – try baiting your traps with sweaty foam

hamishthecat

They had the bite valve on my Camelbak too.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Saddles and Vaseline

joat

Luckily, I haven’t suffered. A friend though had his chainsaw oil tank eaten through to drain it of bio (vegetable) chain oil. Another farmer friend had a whole bag of seed wheat relieved of their germ, the important growy bit, but not the endosperm.

Wally
    mattyfez

Google Australia mouse invasion.. Scary stuff lol!

bedmaker

I’m beyond paranoid about not leaving the shed door open for this reason.
    Add up the potential cost of shoes, walking boots, jackets, rucksacks and it could be a very expensive episode.

My cousin on the Isle of Harris recently had a 15 month old VW Touran written off after rats nested in it and chewed everything behind the dash. It was having glitches for a few weeks before eventually dying completely, meaning the rats were almost certainly in there as they drove around 😯

rOcKeTdOg

A 1995 red selle Italia flite

jakd95
    Free Member

The saddles on three of my bikes have tiny tooth marks in the from the mice in the shed..

Suggsey
    Free Member

Little shits chewed everything in the shed…..and some bits in the garage….so no chewable a are stored in the shed, and garage is a veritable unsafe place for looking around in the dark…only annoying thing is since the six traps have been set and baited in the garage and two caught in the first day…..none have ventured in to meet their maker 😆

allfankledup

A set of motorbike boots, sacks of dog food left in the shed routinely get holes gnawed in them

They are very partial to peanut butter as a last meal

timber

At our last place, everything, anywhere.
    Only thing they didn’t try was my chainsaw boots.
    HT leads on one of the cars was annoying.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My mate had two wiring looms destroyed in his Bentley GT by mice….. 😯

timba
    Free Member

They like mains cable insulation, but only eat the neutral side!!

corroded
    Free Member

The Shimano brake hoses on my Rocky Mountain (to get at the mineral oil I guess). Had to upgrade to Goodridge.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

2 windsurfing sails. Little buggers were nesting in one and had chewed up a section of the luff tube.

wicki
    Free Member

1 fell in a sac of maize and tried to eat his way out and seams to have literally exploded,messy

another eat the air filter in my van they also love polystyrene i think its like popcorn for them. we keep cats which keeps them down i don’t like poison

Defender
    Free Member

Several pairs of ‘bar grips and a pair of work gloves that were in the garage.
    We never had this problem when we had a cat!

twang
    Free Member

A very expensive Zodiac RIB, eaten through to the hemp seed bait I’d left in the bottom after a fishing trip 😳

Keando

Slightly OT. Sister has just told me that she thinks has mice in her loft. She went to get the Christmas presents down last night and the bugger(s) had chewed their way through all the layers of wrapping on one of the presents and eaten all the chocolates inside…

Not impressed is an understatement!!!

teethgrinder

Keando – Member
    Slightly OT. Sister has just told me that she thinks has mice in her loft. She went to get the Christmas presents down last night and the bugger(s) had chewed their way through all the layers of wrapping on one of the presents and eaten all the chocolates inside…

Not impressed is an understatement!!!

Get the **** killed before they chew through electrical wires and burn the house down.

Speaking from experience 🙁

cardo

My old campervan had Swiss cheese style curtains and certain bits of wiring loom eaten…
    The Mot man got quite a shock when he discovered the nest on top of the engine cover, they migrated into his workshop pretty rapidly at that point.

BillMC

Had a bit of the insulation under my bonnet get chewed away whilst parked on the street. Our sheds are protected by about 4 local cats who are constantly scanning with a laser-like focus and chasing but never seem to ‘abuse’ our gardens. Win win.

andyl
    Free Member

My diving bag is full of holes after the OH left a bag of sheep food in the greenhouse we were using as a shed 🙁

Left the door open for the cat to get in and no more mice. In fact I have not seen any evidence of mice for a long time (destruction or heads and entrails) so I think he’s pretty much decimated the local population. Pretty sure the new kitten is going to be a good killer too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

We had a mouse get into an easter egg once.

Devoured the chocolate and left an almost perfext foil shell.

Everything in the basement is boxed.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Everything in the basement is boxed.

in lead cased trunks I hope…

Nipper99
    Free Member

We’re now free of mice and squirrels. Excellent pest control technician. He works for less than minimum wage (biscuits in fact) and currently has availability.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BxQy6L]Mr White Nose[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

skiboy
    Free Member

haha brilliant thread and timely too.

bought two mousetraps last week baited them with chocolate (mars bar pieces) went down the shed yesterday and 2 of them are now no more.

What did they eat ?

The rubber shroud that covers the plunger on my Rockshox reverb dropper post. cost me £34 to replace it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Got mice in your shed? What did they eat?’ is closed to new replies.