Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Got kiddies? Want to grow a sunflower? :-)
  • bearnecessities

It appears, I may have gone slightly OTT on the sunflower seed germination.

As we all know, sunflowers are awesome and kids love watching stuff grown, way more than playstations & One D 🙂 They make a great summer photo too.

So anyone with small kiddies fancy a plant to grow? Be warned, these are the proper big-bastard variety of sunflower, that will required caned support. The heads will be massive and they can grow to 9ft!

Will be a couple of weeks mind you, before ready to be handed over in a stable plant that can be bobbed outside.

If you have an interest, just post up here and I’ll go down the list as some become available. No emails thanks, seems fairer this way. Maybe post up a picture later in summer? 🙂

I’m guessing I’ve a dozen too many, but potentially more.

Collect from J27 of M62 or I can drop off in Leeds/Bradford if you don’t have transport, or Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Preston or anywhere within a few miles of the motorways that pass these riviera locations.

One per person (unless you want a plant per child that they can call their own!).

CHB

Are these the russian giant ones?
    I have a few of these too for my allotment!

Smudger666

I’ll take some seeds for next year if you can gather them after they flower…

firestarter
    Free Member

I like to take one hopefully two if poss to stop the little ones squabbling over whos it is 😉

D0NK

Oh, got two nippers here think they’d be interested. Email in profile.

(Bolton – if you’re passing or riding Rivi or nearby)

bearnecessities

^ Reserved.

Smudger, that’s some long term planning! 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

We (the kids) struggle every year with sunflowers.

They seem to start well and grow to about 6 foot, but then they seem to give up and flower the most pathetic head ever.

Are we doing something wrong?

sillyoldman

Yes please!

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ll be able to pick up as im in leeds too. Cheers. Mail is in profile as and when you need it mate thanks

andybanks
    Free Member

Yes please. Get off at J27 every morning so can collect any day this week.

Thanks!

Crag
    Free Member

Me too please. I’m just up/down the road also at J27 so can pick up whenever.

spacemonkey

Monkey jnr helped me plant some in a propagator 6 weeks ago … recently planted then out and trained them with some canes. Tallest is about 18″ already. Monkey jnr also helped with the veg beds – he seems quite taken with the ‘growing’ thing.

bearnecessities

Ok, you should all have email.

Cheers, Rich

EDIT: bluearsedfly – I’m not a sunflower expert I’m afraid, sorry; in typical plant terms it sounds like either not enough access to nutrients (crap soil or in a pot?), or maybe the leaves are taking it all before it gets to the head.

Any pics of where you’re planting them? Also, stupid question, but what’s the access to light like? ..and what variety?

bearnecessities

Are these the russian giant ones?

Sorry CHB, missed replying to that – I wasn’t aware of a Russian Giant, but they are the ‘Giant’ variety from Suttons.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flower+Seeds/All+Flower+Seeds/Sunflower+Seeds+-+Giant+Yellow_133069.htm

CHB

Thought it might be these:

Russian Giants

firestarter
    Free Member

Many thanks rich. Going strong. Kids well chuffed. Trouble is my kids want to grow alsorts next year now lol. Thanks again. Mick
    All over 7ft tall btw

bearnecessities

They’re seriously impressive – especially as a first effort at growing something?!

Love it that the kids are chuffed – they’ll always remember these 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Got kiddies? Want to grow a sunflower? :-)’ is closed to new replies.