Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 247 total)
  • Got bitten by a dog this morning…..
  • antigee

quite right too the dog being part of the family and only defending its territory – problem is they can smell fear and will bite if people are scared and are behaving oddly – oh yes never done it before and likes children and it is unfair to keep them on a lead

binners

Oh well… that’s alright then. So, in that context, if I feel someone is behaving oddly I could perfectly legitimately headbutt them?

richc
    Free Member

So while the dog owners/experts are about, what’s the best way to deal with jumpy yappy dogs ?

I am not an expert, but in my experience (my dog needs shitloads of walking, so I meet a lot of dogs, and mine *had* a lot of issues when I got him) the best way to deal with jumpy yappy dogs, it to stop and face them, and if they jump up, turn away from them (to the side, so they slip off your legs) and say No!, after about 3 times they should give up, and stop doing it. If they look puzzled you can try a Sit (if they know it) as if they aren’t sure what to do, and hear a command they know they just do it 90% of the time.

If however that doesn’t work and for some reason the owner hasn’t got to you by that point, and it can happen, as people aren’t perfect and mistakes happen, you can try; walking into them as they jump up, FFS do not knee them, or ram into them, just firmly step forward so they have to walk backwards, this combined with No’s should do it.

The reason I say don’t knee or ram them, is whilst this *might* work this might also escalate things, as the dog might/can interpret this wanting to play rough, so then the jumping up will get a hell of lot more aggressive, if you’ve seen two dogs that know each other well playing rough you will know what I mean.

I know Mystic Meg, thinks that the world should be full of constants and all dogs should be like remote control automations, however they aren’t, so the chance of in your lifetime meeting a dog off the lead and not 100% in control is pretty much 100%. So learning how to deal with the shit that life throws up isn’t a bad thing to know, and generally if you don’t act like a self righteous cock (and this applies to the dog owners and cyclists) things generally work out ok.

I know its not ideal that you have to deal with this, however if the worst thing that happens to you in your life is a dog jumps up at you, I would look at that as you have a pretty good/easy life.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if I feel someone is behaving oddly I could perfectly legitimately headbutt them?

If its Hora the answer is yes
    Its idiotic to defend the dog here as it bit someone. Bit like arguing she should not have been there when she got raped type arguments ie bollox.

McHamish
    Free Member

Why are people using the argument that the decision process and survival instincts of a dog directly apply to those of a human?

Unless you have a mental illness that has reduced your intelligence to that of a dog, it’s an invalid argument.

McHamish
    Free Member

If its Hora the answer is yes
    Its idiotic to defend the dog here as it bit someone. Bit like arguing she should not have been there when she got raped type arguments ie bollox.

😯 the dog raped Harry Turtle too?

richc
    Free Member

Its idiotic to defend the dog here as it bit someone

I agree, the dog bit him, the owner is in the wrong and should have MTFU and dealt with the consequences. Running off like a child, is not the answer and I hope the bloke feels totally ashamed of himself*.

This doesn’t mean the dog has to be destroyed, however it should at least have a muzzle on, and the Police/RSCPA notified so if it does it again things can be escalated as *they* see fit.

* perhaps he thought living with the embarrassment of legging it, was a better option than risking of his dog being destroyed due to it biting you.

antigee

if I feel someone is behaving oddly I could perfectly legitimately headbutt them?

not legitimately but someone who loves you very much will be prepared to justify your actions to all and tell you it was probably ok to follow your natural instincts and headbutt the “nasty man” that didn’t understand you

donsimon
    Free Member

Has anyone asked about the wellbeing of the dog yet?
    (My views have been aired before and repetion isn’t going to add anything).

HarryTuttle

Bluebird, I see what you’re trying to do there but it doesn’t work. I stopped so that I wouldn’t hurt a dog yapping around my wheels. If he wanted to apologise had plenty of oppunity, he used it to call me a lier (despite the obvious evidence).

Generally when I encouter dogs that are out of control I stop, I’ve always felt this to be a less confrontational action for both the dog and the owner. Perhaps I’ll behave differently in future, perhaps not.

For what it’s worth the dog was fine and despite reporting it I have no desire to see it harmed, on a lead or muzzled in public would prevent a repeat and that’d be enough to make me happy.

On that note I’ll bow out of this thread as it’s all got a bit out of hand…..

let sleeping dogs lie and all that (crap pun I know but……)

antigee

Has anyone asked about the wellbeing of the dog yet?

no doubt busy on the doggie equivalent to STW complaining that his owner dragged him away from a guy on a bike that had actually stopped and not to kick him – probably have some sort of weekend scoring system they use – extra points for naked unicylist by the knackers, that type of thing

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Harry – Have you not seen dog threads on here before? its always amusing watching the dog owners defending their mutts behaviour and saying that everyone else should do this that and the other so as not to upset the dog.

We even get the classic “what if it were a child” on this thread. as well as “slow down and make friends” and the sublimely ridiculous

it to stop and face them, and if they jump up, turn away from them (to the side, so they slip off your legs)…….you can try; walking into them as they jump up,

Its one of the guaranteed classics – along with any criticism of someone’s children, childcare or parenting or any criticism of someone’s driving.

ask people to train their dogs properly and keep them under control and watch the excuses and idiocy appear from the dog owners.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Yes, people buy these biting, yapping, shedding, digging, chasing, stinking, shitting things, take them to the countryside to distribute aforementioned shit and are quite astounded to find that some other people do not share their love of the 4-legged biting shit-spreader and object to being approached by a fur-covered barking knife drawer that may behave in a wholly unpredictable manner.
    I slow down for horses and children but speed up for dogs. I DO NOT stop! (In case anyone wonders, yes, I HAVE been bitten by a dog!).
    I’m here to balance out the dog-lovers (dog ‘lovers’… eugh!, makes me shudder!).

richc
    Free Member

TJ, I believe he was asking what to do if confronted by a dog that was jumping up(hence my advice), not for your extremely limited and narrow minded opinion.

We weren’t at this point discussing if it should or shouldn’t be doing it, as everyone agree’s it shouldn’t be, just incase you missed that particular point, as you seem to miss the point 99.99% of the time.

its always amusing watching the dog owners defending their mutts

The saddest thing about this statement, is you don’t realise how many people are laughing at you whenever you post your opinion. I suppose, you’ve got used to people’s pity, but I still find to hard to get used to, so I find I get embarrassed for you.

Deveron53
    Free Member

So while the dog owners/experts are about, what’s the best way to deal with jumpy yappy dogs ?

I could say but I may risk a ban…

donsimon
    Free Member

Conversely,

Harry – Have you not seen dog threads on here before? its always amusing watching the non-dog owners defending attacking their mutts behaviour and saying that everyone else should do this that and the other so as not to be upset the dog.

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Richc – your lack of insight and understanding is laughable. I have been laughing at you all the way thru this with your ridiculous attitudes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We even get the classic “what if it were a child” on this thread. as well as “slow down and make friends” and the sublimely ridiculous

“it to stop and face them, and if they jump up, turn away from them (to the side, so they slip off your legs)…….you can try; walking into them as they jump up”,

really – you guys are pathetic. Train your dogs properly, keep them under control and stop making pathetic excuses for them

richc
    Free Member

Richc – your lack of insight and understanding is laughable. I have been laughing at you all the way thru this with your ridiculous attitudes.

Unfortunately your posts don’t exactly back up this statement.

Poor, poor TJ, I feel sorry for you I really do. It really can’t be easy getting through life with an IQ of 72. Do you want me to send you a packet of fruit polo’s to cheer you up?

Deveron53
    Free Member

If alcohol, tobacco, sugar and dogs were newly discovered today, they would all be banned. We had a need for a dog waaaaay back in the mists of time. We have very little need for the dog now. Working dogs excepted (Police, blind assistance etc). I’m sitting here listening to my neighbour’s four dogs barking their f*cking heads off every time a sparrow farts! A terraced house with a tiny yard and four well-fed dogs. When the wind is blowing in the right wrong direction the smell is disgusting.

richc
    Free Member

To risk going waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy off topic, and confusing TJ again (bless him).

We had a need for a dog waaaaay back in the mists of time.

Dogs, are still useful, for guarding, herding, hunting and companionship, so pretty much what they have always been useful for, so I don’t get your point. Just because you personally don’t value one of their attributes doesn’t mean that they aren’t useful per se.

Personally I don’t value quite of lot of people/jobs but that doesn’t mean that they should be eliminated as this week/year/decade they aren’t deemed useful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So what do you use your dog for?

richc
    Free Member

Guarding, as we got burgled, and my partner was nervous of being in the house alone and companionship as having a dog, as they make you laugh every day as they are clowns with boundless energy, who take joy from simply being alive.

I don’t want him to hunt so I don’t do that (although I suppose I could take to field trials if I wanted to) and I don’t want him to herd as believe or not I don’t own any livestock … 😉

I know a lot of people who hate dogs on here won’t believe me, but getting a dog is one of the most social things you can do, as you get to know all your neighbours (and not to be moaned at, although it happens) and you find you will get regularly stopped in the street by strangers to talk about your dog, which can be a pain if you are in a rush, especially as it seems to happen a couple of times a day, every day including in winter.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

richc

For what it’s worth, I’ve been reading through this thread and by and large agree with you.
    As a dog owner, I completely agree that in an ideal world every dog should be perfectly behaved and do nothing ‘wrong’ ever.
    We can also apply that argument to MTBers but we all know that’s idealist.
    Dogs have their own brains and aren’t remote controlled robots. From time to time they will do something they’ve been trained not to do (like bikers). Most MTBers actually encourage my dogs to jump up and play (and I do stress most). That’s the message they now have programmed into them “bikes = play and chase”. They don’t play and chase horses, deer, walkers, foxes etc as none of them has ever encouraged it.
    This now leaves me in a difficult position. Fortunately most bikers love meeting them, but a few don’t which is fair enough and to them I’d like to say sorry.
    Dogs, like people vary – some are scared easily, some are aggressive, some just enthusiastic but harmless etc etc. Applying human criteria to dogs or any other animal is just a non-starter.
    If you are out in the woods, expect to encounter dogs, horses, walkers and so on. Just don’t expect you own ‘human’ rules to apply to animals. If you do, perhaps you need to give up biking.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I need to offset the happy jolly pro-dog propaganda pics from earlier in the thread.

To quote TJ:

So what do you use your dog for?

So yes, I do agree that dogs are useful in the modern world! There are a lot of hungry people in South-East Asia.

antigee

Most MTBers actually encourage my dogs to jump up and play (and I do stress most).

minority here – how do i register to opt out?

……oh just remembered there is an opt out – its called the owners keeping dogs that aren’t well trained on a lead

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have no real problem with dog per-se, but it does irritate when the dog’s owner allows THEIR dog to jump up at me or my son. Now I KNOW the dog is just being friendly and its in their nature. But I dont like it particularly and I don’t know how their dog normally behaves, so why can’t some owners get it through their THICK skin that some people don’t like it? They’d soon moan if a child started rifling through their shopping bags or pulling at their clothes.
    Its all about tolerance and consideration on both sides, but its ultimately down to the dog’s owner to control their animal around me and my family. In the same why as a parent and guardian I keep my son under control around others!

richc
    Free Member

Its all about tolerance and consideration on both sides, but its ultimately down to the dog’s owner to control their animal around me and my family.

I completely agree.

Irritate when the dog’s owner allows THEIR dog to jump up at me or my son. Now I KNOW the dog is just being friendly and its in their nature. But I dont like it particularly and I don’t know how their dog normally behaves, so why can’t some owners get it through their THICK skin that some people don’t like it

If you think that’s irritating, just imagine how annoying it is to see people encouraging your dog to jump up by patting their chests and rewarding the dog when it does it, especially after you’ve spent months breaking the habit, but its OK because when you ask them to stop doing it, they respond ‘I don’t mind, I like dogs to jump up and say hello’ ……….

In the same why as a parent and guardian I keep my son under control around others!

What at all times? Do you really believe you son never plays up and irritates others due to his over enthusiasm for life, or whilst he’s learning right from wrong?

bigyinn
    Free Member

What at all times? Do you really believe you son never plays up and irritates others due to his over enthusiasm for life, or whilst he’s learning right from wrong?

Never! How could he when he’s locked in a cupboard under the stairs?!

Thats a fair point about people encouraging the dog to jump up. You can’t really win I guess.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

minority here – how do i register to opt out?

……oh just remembered there is an opt out – its called the owners keeping dogs that aren’t well trained on a lead

Don’t encourage my dogs over by stopping and making friendly gestures and then wander why they jump up and fuss you back.
    Of course, I fully expect you (antigee) to never be riding anywhere except for bridle paths and other legal places where bikes can be, never riding too fast, never skidding, never exceeding the speed limit in your car etc. If you ever do any of the above, then you have no moral high ground. Your above statement could also read…

…oh just remembered there is an opt out – it’s called living in a society and accepting there’s more than just me and my bike in this world.

richc
    Free Member

Hang on a minute, you are implying that personal responsibility is a two way street ………………. Don’t you realise cyclists have an opt out.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Nice one richc 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh look – they are here again telling humans that their dog has equivalent rights to humans. Its a dog not a human. 🙄

There is no two way street, there is no equivalence. We are humans, it is a dog. we have rights, it does not. You have duties towards your dog and to other people.

Are you really trying to say because you cannot control your dog I have to alter my behaviour to allow for this? 🙄

Look guys its really simple. Just keep your dog under control. Thats all you have to do. If you are so hard of thinking you cannot understand that should be be allowed in charge of a dog?

antigee

oh just remembered there is an opt out – it’s called living in a society and accepting there’s more than just me and my bike dog in this world.

sorted

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Forgive me TandemJeremy, but could you point out where I said they have equivalent rights to humans please. Otherwise that may appear to be an overblown and argumentative comment rather than debate.

It is a two way street.

I do have duties towards my dogs and other people, I expect you to do the same regarding your responsibilities, please do not avoid my points about where you may or may not ride your bikes legally or otherwise.

When riding in popular and busy locations, yes, you may have to alter your behaviour to allow for other countryside users.

antigee – it is I who accepts and promotes there’s more than just me and my dog – your crossed through quote therefore is null and void.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I always ride my bike legally offroad – I live in Scotland. I obey the Scottish access code in both the letter and spirit of it including giving way to other users. There is however no requitement for me to give way to dogs. In the access code is a duty to keep the dog under control at all times and under close control where there is livestock. In other words you have a duty to keep your dog out of my way. I do not have a need to compromise my actions for your dog.

druidh
    Free Member

dorkingtrailpixie – Member

When riding in popular and busy locations, yes, you may have to alter your behaviour to allow for other countryside users.I’ve ridden with TJ and he is one of the most considerate and responsible riders you are likely to meet.

We’ve been through all of this many times, but as a dog owner, your responsibility is to keep it on a leash or under close control. That means ALL of the time. If you’re prepared to argue that you can’t guarantee how your dog will behave, then a lead is the only option.

Alternatively, bring it into the hills near us and let one of the local shepherds use it for target practice (not that they need much, they usually get it first time.)

donsimon
    Free Member

There is however no requitement for me to give way to dogs. In the access code is a duty to keep the dog under control at all times and under close control where there is livestock. In other words you have a duty to keep your dog out of my way. I do not have a need to compromise my actions for your dog.

Maybe not, but you probably have some kind of obligation to not look like a narrow minded selfish git.
    It’s all about being sensible and compromises. As you, TJ, can not or will not take a step back into the area of common sense you deserve all you get, please continue with you puerile attitude.

antigee

antigee – it is I who accepts and promotes there’s more than just me and my dog – your crossed through quote therefore is null and void

all is well with the world then and I’m sure we can sort out at length some other time if its ok for anyone who may or may not have the qualities of a saint to criticise a minority of dog owners for lacking the intent or ability to control their animals

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don – if you have the dog under control as you are obliged to there would be no need for me to compromise my actions for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 247 total)

The topic ‘Got bitten by a dog this morning…..’ is closed to new replies.