Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Got an opinion about the current state of Rushup Edge? I want to hear it!!
  • sambob
    Free Member

Hi Everyone!

I’m a third year BSc Geography student at Bangor, and my dissertation is based on Rights of Way management in the Peak District (specifically Rushup Edge) and how the management approach of this route has been perceived by the people that use it. I lived a few miles from Rushup Edge for 18 years before moving away to University, so being able to research something so close to home and so closely related to my interests as a mountain biker has (so far) been fantastic! I’ve been a member on here for a good few years, though less active recently as assignments have taken over!

I’ve got a questionnaire that I’d love for people to fill out – it should take no more than 10 minutes, and hopefully it’ll make a meaningful contribution to rights of way management in the future! here’s the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mAF2ipbStHVrBwlk3XDLg0UbUUQPTzluU3RBRec3RO0/viewform

If you’ve got anything you think would be valuable to my research, or have any questions/comments about anything within the questionnaire, feel free to message me at tcu21aATbangorDOTacDOTuk

Thank you for your help!

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Just filled it out Sam, good luck with your dissertation.

sambob
    Free Member

Thank you!

MartynS

All done!!!

vickypea
    Free Member

Done

mintimperial

Done! Good luck and all that. 🙂

This bit confused me:

Do you feel that the needs or requests of one specific user group have been prioritised over the needs/desires of other users?
    If yes, please state the user group in the box below. If no, leave this question blank

Please state the user group you feel has been prioritised in the text box below
    Feel free to leave this answer blank if you do not feel a particular group has been prioritised

Same question twice? (I left them both blank as I don’t think DCC did really prioritise any one group in particular. Or if they did they’re so spectacularly incompetent at the execution that it will have damaged that group’s interests just as much as everyone else.)

I’ve not been down there since last September. Is it still half-done, all massive loose rocks on the steps, and no top surface? Any improvement after this winter’s storms?

sambob
    Free Member

Apologies for that!

Yes it’s still half done, I rode it in both directions yesterday and whilst it’s all ridable in both directions (had I not set off too quickly on the way up), it’s still the loose surface of big angular rocks. No real improvement as far as I can tell, it’s not got the mixture of grain size needed to allow it to settle (as is the case on the way up Jacob’s ladder from Hayfield) and I’d imagine the flow of water down it isn’t sufficient to move the rocks at all. I noticed no change between New Year’s eve and yesterday, other than it being dry yesterday!

mintimperial

Thought so. I think those rocks will take some shifting… 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

I agree, I’m really intrigued to see what happens! Intrigued enough to write 10,000 words on it anyway…

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Will you be submitting your findings to DCC?

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Just filled it in. Hope your dissertation goes well. Would be interested to hear your findings, especially as to whether any ‘user groups’ feel the work has been worth it.

sambob
    Free Member

I will be chrisrobs, and I’ll be passing them onto PeakDistrictMTB for their interpretations too! I’ll let you know gorillainthepeak, probably through this thread so keep an eye on it!

vickypea
    Free Member

sambob- if the data can help influence DCC that would be great. I noticed on the 1st page of the survey that it says the data will only be used by you for your dissertation so you may need to amend that.

sambob
    Free Member

Vickypea – a point well made. It has already been filled in by quite a few people I’m afraid, so I can’t go back on what I have said in the introduction.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Just filled it in.

The last question was a bit ambiguous for me.

Do you feel that the party responsible for resurfacing the route should be liable in the event of an injury, or is that merely the nature of your activity?
    Assume that the surface is not “dangerous” as such, merely in keeping with the local environment.
    Yes
    No

The answer to liability is ‘no’, but the answer to ‘is it the nature of the activity’, it’s ‘yes’?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rushup Edge – scene of one of my best comedy moments on a bike, attempt to bunny hop over “puddle” with near zero speed results in arcing otb face first into said puddle/lake. I haven’t been there for 3 years now 🙁 but will look at the survey

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers Poison spider, have edited appropriately!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Got an opinion about the current state of Rushup Edge? I want to hear it!!’ is closed to new replies.