Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 285 total)
  • Got a speeding ticket!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

there are 40mph repeater signs so, of course, that takes precedence.

Ah.. no.. well – not as I understand it. If the lights are close enough then they are not allowed to put 30mph repeaters up… So therefore the lights must be more than 200 yards apart..? Is that right?

jota180
    Free Member

All the above discussion is irrelevant, of course, because we’re getting closer and closer to 20mph being the default urban speed limit. So, you’ll have to travel below 20, unless there are repeaters for 30.

ACPO have briefed forces not to enforce 20mph limits

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3705446.ece

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. according to Google Maps the lights are only 125m apart…

tinybits
    Free Member

No, because I wouldn’t be driving at 40 on it if I wasn’t sure.

ha ha ha ha ha.

Mol wins the internet.

Northwind

Thread needs some Glupton for perfection, but it’s still pretty ****ing good.

simmy
    Free Member

I’m assuming the location is this

Heading in from the M62, the 30 signs are just after the flyover

Correct me if I’m wrong

molgrips
    Free Member

No that’s right – already posted earlier. Easy to miss in traffic, I thought. One or both of those could easily be shielded by lorries or vans.

Actually it’s the second set of signs – after you leave the M62 there are 40 signs, which I saw – then these are about half a mile (ish) later iirc.

legend
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    No that’s right – already posted earlier. Easy to miss in traffic, I thought. One or both of those could easily be shielded by lorries or vans.

Easy to miss? You drove over the bloody things 😆

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Molgrips, as an officer of the law I hope you have learnt your lesson. You may end up going to prison whereupon you will be abused in the showers by “Mr Big”. 😀

jam-bo

In that case you are right, you don’t need a speed awareness course, you need glasses.

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah these are the ones at the end of the motorway

Then under the flyover are the 30’s in my earlier post.

I agree that they are possible to miss in traffic. The reason I’m so interested is I used to use this road daily and couldn’t place where you meant.

molgrips
    Free Member

In that case you are right, you don’t need a speed awareness course, you need glasses.

Very easy to say that whilst looking at google streetview images. I was paying attention, and I did miss them – I have no idea why. They may well have been obscured by lorries for all I know. Possibly due to being in the middle lane where neither sign is adjacent. I think there ought to be an overhead sign tbh.

If you can honestly say you’ve never missed a single sign or object of interest whilst driving* then sure, you’re a better driver.

* hint – you can’t, no-one can. And you will have missed stuff.

jam-bo

I break the speed limit frequently but in the full knowledge I am doing so. I got caught because I was unaware the traffic light camera I went through had been converted to a gatso. I was fortunate to be offered a course, it was actually quite good.

If you get offered it, I’d go on it. You might learn something.

Edukator
    Free Member

Commiserations, Molgrips, I don’t think many people can say they haven’t unwittingly gone too fast due to unfamiliarity with the road and its limits at some time.

I did a refresher course offered by my insurance company to drivers who’d passed their test a long time before and found it useful for the legal/rules update but poor on the driving part. Ironically I got moaned at by the instructor for not making normal progress – I was driving at the 50kmh speed limit on an urban dual carriage way and refused to go faster.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’ve resisted as long as I could ……. I tried really hard…… But it’s got the better of me …….

When I got caught a while ago you were pretty self righteous with me ……

See that thing that looks like a clock on your dashboard? It tells you how fast you are going. See the little round signs with numbers in..?

I guess not, in your case

Oh the irony. 🙂

paulmgreen
    Free Member

….. Oh and more …….

Mol grip;

Grr don’t get me started. You talk about a moment’s inattention like it doens’t matter. That’s exactly how people die, every day.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

And even more …..

If you aren’t capable of keeping to the limit AND watching where you are going, you’re not fit to drive.

to be constantly watching the speedo
    You don’t need to constantly watch it. Just every so often. Can you not control your car’s speed properly either?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s a well known phrase for this kind of thing ….. :-).
    🙄 😆

footflaps

Has anyone mentioned children’s faces yet (can’t be arsed to read all 6 pages)…

Anyway, if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

nealglover
    Free Member

paulmgreen :mrgreen:

FeeFoo
    Free Member

paulmgreen wins thread! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Of course, paulmgreen could just clarify how many times he’d been caught…

mol is still the more observant of the two by a long shot.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned children’s faces yet (can’t be arsed to read all 6 pages)…

First page, 19th response:

If you couldn’t see the signs, how would you see a childs face other than stuck to your windscreen…..

Frankenstein
    Free Member

He made a mistake.

End.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

He made a mistake.

End.

The others he was slating made the same mistake 🙂

In 30 years of driving 30-45,000 miles a year around the country paulmgreen has 8 speed tickets in over a million driving miles……

The last two in empty roadworks at 3 am or Sunday tea time….

This thread is heartwarmingly ironic !!…..

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The others he was slating made the same mistake

8 times in 30 years? That’s a lot.

martinh
    Free Member

Molgrips gets a speeding ticket and the thread runs for 6 fn pages!

wwaswas

Molgrips makes the mistake of posting on here he got a speeding ticket and thread runs to 8 pages…It was never going to end well.

I’m surprised the great big 30 signs painted in the road didn’t give any clue as to what the limit was, though, even if the ones at the side were obscured by tunnel vision.

molgrips
    Free Member

Paul you are dead right. I’m not defending myself. I should not have missed the signs.

However I think they could make them more visible. Given that I was looking out for them and still missed them..

As for looking at the speedo – I thought it was 40, I was caught doing 40!

Cougar

I sympathise Molly, I really do. Humans are, well, human and it’s easy to make mistakes occasionally.

But honestly, I’m struggling to see how much more visible those signs can be from the photographs. There’s five signs, one is high vis and three are the width of the lane and several metres tall. What could be improved about these signs you say you were looking out for?

Repeaters, I guess, but as we’ve read here it’s a nationwide policy not to do that for reasons of cost-cutting safety.

molgrips
    Free Member

What could be improved about these signs you say you were looking out for?

If you are in the middle of those three lanes and looking down the road, then both those signs are towards the side of your field of view. In traffic, the ones on the road can be obscured.

For all I know I was blindsided by lorries, or the lights weren’t working, I have no idea because I missed the whole lot completely. If they cna’t put overhead signs in, then make them bigger and more visible – like they do in lots of other places.

It’s another thing I’ll learn from though – just like the time I pulled out infront of someone at a roundabout, or the time I was a bit too keen trying to overtake a lorry…

wwaswas

the ones on the road can be obscured

only if you’re too close to the vehicle in front, surely?

and if you were blindsided by lorries then a 15ft diameter sign isn’t going to help, surely?

molgrips
    Free Member

only if you’re too close to the vehicle in front, surely?

I dunno. At 40mph stopping distance you’d get 2 seconds to see something on the road surface, faded paint, dark etc. However, thinking about it I doubt there was anything infront of me because I’d have noticed them slow down.

I can’t really explain why I didn’t see the road markings, but I do think the signs would be easy to miss in the middle lane.

The fact that I’d already seen 40 signs and the road ‘looked’ like so many other 40s around the country, and hadn’t changed much since the 40 signs must’ve made me subconsciously assume it was still 40. I even saw the speed camera markings and didn’t worry about it, because I rarely worry about them because I am pretty much never speeding.

and if you were blindsided by lorries then a 15ft diameter sign isn’t going to help, surely?

A larger taller sign would be more visible from further away, and be visible over the top of vans etc. I guess that’s why they do them like that in so many other places.

wwaswas

It sounds like you went onto auto pilot for a bit and just missed the all the signage?

I think accepting that and not blaming the road design might be ‘a good thing’.

Failing that presenting what you’ve typed on this thread in court may earn you a ‘driving without due care and attention’ conviction 😉

footflaps

So, in conclusion, Molly is either:

a) a completely wreckless driver with no regard for children’s faces
    b) an incompetent driver who should have his licence revoked

or possibly

c) human..

thomthumb
    Free Member

‘looked’ like so many other 40s around the country,

sounds like speed awareness required.

Can you honestly say you have nothing to learn.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think accepting that and not blaming the road design might be ‘a good thing’.

I’ve accepted my mistake all the way through the thread. However, given that I usually notice speed limit signs, and having reviewed the images, I think that they could do with making the signs bigger. I know I’m not inattentive, so the fact I missed them says to me that they are easy to miss. And the fact that I’d already seen the 40 signs so assumed I was ‘in a 40’ for the duration of the DC. Mistake, of course.

I was not on autopilot, I was pretty hyped up, but I was concentrating on not going wrong and following my directions…

Can you honestly say you have nothing to learn.

Of course not. I even said a few posts back that it’s something to learn from. I haven’t been offered a course yet.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t think overtaking a lorry would prevent you seeing the signs at the side of the road. It would also require another vehicle overtaking you at the same time as you overtook the lorry at the time you passed the signs for both to be obscured. And in any case, if you were alongside the lorry as you passed the sign you would still have seen it up ahead before you started overtaking. Unless it takes you an inordinate amount of time to do an overtake?

wwaswas

From the road design I think it looks the same as hundreds of other transitions from 40 to 30 I’ve seen.

I think blaming the infrastructure is you rationalising your belief that it couldn’t have been your fault.

We have all done this or similar whether it’s missing a speed sign or the name of a road we were looking for, you’re not the only one – most people just accept it was probably their fault and move on, though.

However, I can see you won;t be swayed so I’ll leave it there.

MrOvershoot

Moly I have a question not speed related!
    You live in Cardiff IIRC, so what in the name of something nasty were you doing coming into Liverpool on the M62?????

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 285 total)

The topic ‘Got a speeding ticket!’ is closed to new replies.