• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Got a PS3, if so, might want to change your CC details
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Looks like Sony’s PSN problems got a lot worse… customer details all got pinched too.

Sony, in a message to PlayStation Network account holders:

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

kimbers

sony better or worse than crc?

oh
    psn has had 77million user details stolen im assuming crc dont have quite that many!

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d be changing my passwords too. I bet there’s a lot of hotmail, yahoo, twitter, gmail, facebook etc accounts getting compromised by bots right now.

monkfish
    Free Member

yep my google account has just been spamming like a good ‘un

If Sony weren’t so bothered about loss of face perhaps we would have known sooner

Drac

Simon_g that was warning about the code for the console not PSN security flaw.

simon_g

Indeed. Given how heavily Sony relies on the PS3 as a trusted link in the chain for PSN, it was only a matter of time though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

I’d be changing my passwords too. I bet there’s a lot of hotmail, yahoo, twitter, gmail, facebook etc accounts getting compromised by bots right now.

which passwords do you mean? my email accounts are different passwords to my PSN, but i’m pretty sure my PSN’s the same as at least a few other site logins. i have been getting a ton of spam in my gmail inbox that I used for PSN registration. 😡

chvck
    Free Member

Should be interesting to see how this pans out for Sony and for the Ps3

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Should be interesting to see how this pans out for Sony and for the Ps3

I don’t suppose there will be any lasting effect – they will sort out the flaws, people will moan a bit in the short term, people will soon forget, people will carry on gaming.

chvck
    Free Member

That was pretty much what I was thinking.

Drac

but i’m pretty sure my PSN’s the same as at least a few other site logins.

That’ll be the ones to change then.

I’ve changed a few and some changed emails on others as well but overall I’m not concerned 77 million users is a lot even for a bot to go through. And I’ve had no increase in spam to my email but it gets that much as the provider for it is useless and seems to have no antispam setup, so I deal with it at this end.

darrell
    Free Member

unfortunately PSN is down so you cant get in to actually change any passwords

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I cant remember what my psn password is – set it up when i bought it years ago and logged in automatically ever since. Dont have access to the email account i signed up with now either.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m trying to remember but pretty sure you can set up your PS3 account with your card details can’t you?

Drac

unfortunately PSN is down so you cant get in to actually change any passwords

Luckily you don’t need PSN to be up to change any other passwords, which is what they are suggesting.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I think most people are annoyed that it’s taken this long for sony to tell us this!

Drac

That would be because it took that long for the investigation company to find out.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i reckon i’ve changed all those that might be at risk. a pain the arse and no mistake. 😡

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m trying to remember but pretty sure you can set up your PS3 account with your card details can’t you?

I didn’t use my CC to set up my PSN account, so I’m not too worried. Tis a pain in the arse though.

DaRC_L

It depends upon who did the hacking
    the Register was suggesting thats it’s very likely to have been the Anonymous, or some sub part thereof, if so they’ve probably not made off with the details but have proved that they could’ve if they wanted to.
    The latest Register article

seosamh77
    Free Member

doubt much will come of it, but i changed my bank card the day, was in the bank any way so better safe than sorry, plus my card was held together by sellotape, so. 😀

CountZero

Major ass-pwnage of Sony by someone, that’s for sure. A bit of a reprisal in a way for selling CD’s with a virus on a few years back.

tony24
    Free Member

Sony dont charge for there online service the only people who are losing out are the people who spend all there money on games and have now lost the online benefit of it.

all due to some to**er who feel’s the need to upstage sony really pointless imo.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Sony do charge for part of PSN. Anyway, just because it’s a “free” service doesn’t override the duty of care created by buying the console and investing in the games that generate revenue for Sony.

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks Jon. Didn’t think I would have put my details in as I created mine post CRC so a bit more wary

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Got a PS3, if so, might want to change your CC details’ is closed to new replies.