• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Got a dilema
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I have three bikes at the moment but have nowhere to keep them, they have been living in the bike shed at work all locked up and cosy. Now the loony head of facilities has told me to move them or they will be taken down to the tip 😡 no ammount of reasoning or pleading has changed her mind. I am the only person who has gone into the bike shed in the last 6 months.

Now I am stuck, where I live has no shed or room for any of them. I have hidden 2 around the site in work but really struggling with the fatty.

Any suggestions?

wwaswas

rent a self storage unit – you could get three bikes in tiny unit with the wheels off and bars turned?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ask her why the bike shed has been provided then? Why if you’re the only person to utilise the bike shed is there an issue with the bikes being there and would she rather you drive in and take up parking spaces?

Junkyard
    Free Member

rent a unit put her in it
    Leave bikes where they are.

A unit or a mate is your only option sadly unless someone can over rule her

WTF is her problem with this?

weeksy

Buy a van.

Pigface
    Free Member

Because “this is not a storage area for your personal property” tried the self storage unit idea nothing with in 20 miles that is suitable, rural Dorset isnt big on self storage 🙁

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Where are you? I have garage space, but it’s in West Wilts.

Cougar

Why is she objecting to storing BIKES in a BIKE shed? What’s supposed to be in there, aardvarks?

Also, how is she going to take them to the tip if they’re locked up?

If it were me, I’d be telling her to fill her boots, but that I’d be reporting her to the police for theft of personal property if she did.

Cougar

“this is not a storage area for your personal property”

What is it for then? That’s the very definition of a bike shed, surely?

pictonroad

Leave that bike in the shed, use it occasionally for work, it’s a BIKE shed.

Facilities. lol.

Junkyard
    Free Member

As cougar notes she cannot remove your property without serving legal papers as it would still be theft and she would be in trouble

Will she haggle down to one?
    Who is her boss? who does she answer to?

WhyTF does she care?
    What about plonking a storage unit/metal container in the car park and using that 😈

the-muffin-man

What is it for then? That’s the very definition of a bike shed, surely?

It’s for temporary safe storage of bikes while you are at work.

What if employees wanted to leave old sofas and TVs around a workplace, or park-up a couple of cars they are working on?

jekkyl

Dangle them from the celing in your living/dining/kitchen/bath room as near permanent bicycle ‘art’ ?

gonzy
    Free Member

rent a unit put her in it

Josef Fritzl style?

nickjb
    Free Member

Lend them to a work mate. They can then use their allotted parking space in the bike shed.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

find another job? I hate mini hitlers / jobsworths. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Inside bags in the house?

northernmatt

Inside bags in the house?

Her or the bikes?

molgrips
    Free Member

Either works.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Courier them to yourself using Yodel they shouldn’t be a problem for a while 😀

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Buy her some chocolate……or show her a shoe catalogue 😉

kayak23

Buy yourself a £50 scrapper car, tow it to work, leave it parked in a space, and store your bikes in it. 8)

tomd
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound that unreasonable that your work are asking you not to store your personal stuff at work. However:

– The head of facilities is in charge of an overhead depertment to your business. i.e. the lowest of the low and the management would sack them all in a heartbeat if they could.

Does your line manager know and would he support you? If you’re valuable to the business they will whip the FM folk in to line. “You’re harassing one of my valuable staff members for no reason, do one”.

If you’re insignificant to the business and no one cares if you leave them get selling bikes sharp-ish.

tomd
    Free Member

In my previous work there was a guy who quite regularly would bring his campervan to work and sleep in it to save a massive commute. Drove FM wild, but it comes down to “So you want me to discipline one of my senior staff members who is essentially irreplaceable with 30 years of experience because he’s parked in an empty car park overnight?”

hels
    Free Member

Nowhere to store them ?

What – are you sleeping in a friend’s bath at the moment ? If you have space for a bed you have space for some bikes, need to be more creative. Or perhaps assertive, and stop expecting your work to sort your life for you.

You obviously can’t ride them all at once, so pick your favourite, them disassemble the rest as you would for transit and put them under bed.

Then when you aren’t living in’t carboard box in’t middle of road, you can have them back.

Or you could sell them ?

Ask friends who have a garage to store one each ?

hels
    Free Member

P.S and referring to the Facilities Manager as “fatty” is not making you not come across as not being a douche. Try being nicer to her. Buy her something. She clearly likes chocolates.

ads678

Hels – I can only assume you forgot the smiley. By ‘fatty’ i think he’s referring to a fat bike!

chakaping
    Free Member

Buy a van.

+1

Crew cab models are available if you have kids.

Pigface
    Free Member

Thanks Hels 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

P.S and referring to the Facilities Manager as “fatty” is not making you not come across as not being a douche. Try being nicer to her. Buy her something. She clearly likes chocolates.

😆 Fail.

I must say I’m inclined to agree with Hels’s basic point though, try harder, it’s not really their job to store your bikes on a permanent basis! Sure you can get at least one in the house, try harder!

mrchrispy

speak to your boss of your bosses boss.
    point out the stupidity of what she is doing and ask for support, once you have support tell her to do one….in the nicest possible terms obviously

hooli

Do you not have a mate with a garage or shed?

scandal42
    Free Member

Make really inappropriate animal noises at her if she bothers you again.

More than likely wont help your situation but it would be quite funny

hels
    Free Member

Anytime Pigface – advice is free and you did ask.

You should also, clean your teeth, drink a glass of water, put on a jersey, don’t wear your coat inside and start saving for a pension.

D0NK

What about alternately riding them home? then you can legitimately claim it’s short term storage – the actual purpose of a bike shed.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Got a dilema’ is closed to new replies.