Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Gorricks – difference between open and sport
  • DT78
    Free Member

Debating stepping up to sport for the spring series and my 3rd race season (though last year I wasn’t able to make many races due to work/family stuff)

How much of a step up is it? I’m usually in the top third of opens / endurances races like BBD.

Will me and my mate be fighting it out for second from last?!

Jason
    Free Member

Sport is a bit quicker than Open, plus you get the bonus of an extra lap 🙂 There are less of of the slow riders who make up the back of the Gorrick Open races, and the start line tends to be lycra and bottles, rather than baggies and camelbacks.

I have raced in Sport when the timings has been convenient for other stuff I had on during the day. It generally doesn’t have the bottle necks that you get at the start of the Open races, so the pace at the start is quicker without any hold ups, however a some people really start slowing down on the last lap, so if your endurance is good then you will do okay. You won’t end up riding by yourself as Sport starts straight after Vets and Masters, so you do pick up some of the tail end of these fields. Plus you have the fast ladies catching you…

No idea where you will finish – but I would rather be last in Sport than 1st in Open.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You won’t end up riding by yourself as Sport starts straight after Vets and Masters,

As an aside that seems a very good reason not to enter a Vets/Masters race if all the lycra sporty boys are going to come barging past 😯

Plus you have the fast ladies catching you…

seems a good reason to slow down a bit 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I entered the first of the Autumn series in Sport having contemplated both Sport and Open. Hadn’t been in an xc race for 20 years and was not on an xc bike which most were, also had baggies and a camelbak – I was aiming for top half, I was one place away from middle in the wrong half but I’ll take that. It was good, – I liked the challenge. The Sport field was much smaller than Open too so very few bottlenecks. I’ll stick with Sport.

crosshair
    Free Member

I started in fun then moved up to Open when I got a 2nd place. I’m roughly top 1/4 of Open now so gonna stick with it until I get a top 5 then race Sport. Long term goal is to get competitive in Sport but that’s 3 years away in the plan 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Clearer trails, better start time and possibility of fast ladies makes it sound like a goer. I’m more Lycra and bottles these days anyway

faustus

Hmm, I have just entered the Autumn Classsic on the 9th Nov in Open, as i’ve never done an xc race before, jus an mtb marathon ages ago. I’m an experienced and fairly fit mtber of over 10 years, just no experience of riding in race conditions – just hope i’ve made the right choice balancing this. Oh well, just have to decide whether to wear lycra or not..!

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll be in good company whether you go for baggies or lycra!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Keep thinking about doing a Gorrick, but never done anything like this before. What’s the difference between the Open cat and the age categories then? (which by age looks like I’d be in Vets).

aP
    Free Member

I’m riding Vet ** sighs **, what’s this course like? I’m minded to ride rigid (giving me a good excuse for being near the back).

weeksy

Very little in many way Kenny. Usually get less riders out in the Age catagories, but they’ll all have super fast/fit fellas and some more steady ones.

I’d choose my class more based upon start times and distance rather than anything.

faustus

My race isn’t until nearly 12, how early should I turn up, d’you think? Also, is it right that you do a practice lap while another race is under way, and pull over before the finish line? Looks like it’ll be good fun, i’m looking forward to it.

njee20
    Free Member

what’s this course like?

Quite gritty, but unlikely to be muddy. Start can be a bit dodgy – it’s uphill, then into a fast downhill double track with a 90 degree left hander at the bottom, seen more than a few high speed tangles into the bend. Rewards a good start better than many courses.

My race isn’t until nearly 12, how early should I turn up, d’you think?

Ideally I like to be there a couple of hours before, bimble round a practice lap (avoiding folk racing), have some food, keep hydrated. Warm up. Race.

What’s the difference between the Open cat and the age categories then? (which by age looks like I’d be in Vets).

Open is usually bigger, with a very broad spread of abilities. Vets is generally a bit quicker (less so since they introduced Vets Plus for the fast ones), and a smaller field.

faustus

Thanks!

weeksy

I’m torn between Fun where i’ll be getting there on my own as Crosshair won’t be turning up till his Open race at 12.00. Or riding in Open with him…. (Well, not with him as he’s quicker than me).

I think I’d likely enjoy fun more though in all honesty.

TiRed

I’d choose my class more based upon start times

Hoping to make it from Remembrance Day service for the Open. Vets would be more my ability, but I may struggle to get to the site for 11:45! As for arrive early for a warm up … 😆

I’ll be in my TCC lycra number, with bottles on a singlespeed. Say Hi as you pass me.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Riding the rigid SS for this today *gulp*

aP
    Free Member

Well, that was broadly fun, and only my second short mtb race for about 15 years. Presiding the course might have helped a bit though.
    And the ninerhood is stronger today – hi Tony!

TiRed

Yes suffering singlespeed aches I’m trying to walk off with the dog. No warm up and immediate max heart rate. Slippery xc tyres, a tree interaction and crash right at the end lost me a few places.

Thanks to whoever cheered, felt ok at the end, but fitness is no substitute for skills!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

…but fitness is no substitute for skills!

….or sign post reading, I went the wrong way on the first lap, apologies to the three I took with me 😳

Great fun little course though.

crosshair
    Free Member

I enjoyed it today 🙂 Finished 10th in Open according to the caravan lady.

whippersnapper
    Free Member
    pete68
    Free Member

First proper xc race for years after spending most of the time doing longer distance stuff. Flat out speed came as a bit of a shock to the system! Pretty pleased to get 15th in the vets category. Good course and the corkscrew is much improved for the work that’s been done, although that may of been done a while ago as I’ve not ridden it for at least 2 years.

Yak

Nice one everyone. I had a terrible race. Entered sport due to family timings. Had a slow start and was feeling quicker going into lap 2 then slashed my rear tyre 🙁 Gutted.

Great course though and good atmosphere and support.

TiRed

21/77 in open. Pleased with that. If I hadn’t taken a dive immediately before the last big climb (then checked car key was in my rear pocket still – priorities 😉 ), i’d have been top 20. Still first tritile is about the limit of my singlespeed mincing aspirations. Nobody passed me on a climb 😈 . I thought I was a lot further back to be honest.

And for nostagia, I broke my collarbone in the bomb crater – at least we rode up it. Corkscrew was great, but the last drop can catch the unwary – and my son’s friend who went OTB during a lesson I gave him 😳

DT78
    Free Member

Well, looking at those results looks like some exciting finishes in a couple of those cats. open and fun male both 1 second in it! Bet those guys are buzzing.

Got to hang my head in shame, I let yesterdays weather put me off and went out on the roadie instead 🙁 Planning to try all the BM series though.

mccraque

Course was great despite the rain. Loved the race…. But am thoroughly spent in my battle for 20th in the open. Was set to finish 21st until the chap in front inexplicably binned it quite heavily on the penultimate descent!

theotherjonv

Mcraque, meet tired. Tired, meet mcraque!

TiRed

Twas I! Hit a root on that descent. To be honest I was more worried about injury for the forthcoming Winter Series. Was a fun chase though, I caught you on the last climbs but nowhere to overtake.

TheGingerOne

Well, that was my first race in 16 years so was quite pleased to have finished 8th out of 53 in the Open class.

mccraque

Good effort @thegingerone

@tired – maybe you lost a couple
    Of places – I had a stroll home with nobody behind me after that. We’re you the guy in blue? Went down pretty hard. I did ask how you were and assumed “eurrghh” meant “ok”

crosshair
    Free Member

@ TheGingerOne- That was me that said about not holding you up in the singletrack 😀
    I loved it when I said “Are you Open?” and you looked all suspicious like “Hmmmm, is this some cunning plan!”

@TiRed don’t you mean 21/53 in Open???

faustus

My first ever mtb race, and happy with 36th in open. Made rookie mistakes of doing the practice lap too fast, and first half lap too quick. Enjoyed the course and the atmosphere. Will be doing more.

TheGingerOne

Good ride CrossHair, you were going a fine speed in the single track.
    I wasn’t being suspicious, I spent the whole day forgetting what class I was riding in 😉

missnotax
    Free Member

I was out to play today as well in the open cat (err, ladies obviously!) – fab course, really enjoyed it.

Was a bit worried that my mtbing had gone off the boil over the summer but after a cheeky win in class I guess not 😉 Actually, I think I just spend all my bloody life riding through mud, so it turns out I’m reasonably quick at it :-/

mccraque

1st?? Top effort @notax!

crosshair
    Free Member

@Yak- I wondered why I never saw you today. Gutted about your tyre- you haven’t had a good season for punctures 🙁

pete68
    Free Member

@crosshair did your mate weeksy do this then? Thought he was aiming to use the new bike for this?

crosshair
    Free Member

No, family stuff came up I think.

Yak

Crosshair – you’re not wrong there! A Saguaro bit the dust at xc rampage and an x-king protection today! ‘Protection’- my arse.

Well done on your ride – a good result.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Gorricks – difference between open and sport’ is closed to new replies.