Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • Gorrick Torq In Your Sleep
  • natrix
    Free Member

Taking my children on Saturday for the kids races (weather permitting) 😀

adsh
    Free Member

BBC now has Sunday as merely cloudy. No doubt it’ll change a few times between now and then.

Missed the Tunnel Hill Trolls ride of the course tonight. 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t see that really making much difference, you know broadly what it’ll be.

adsh
    Free Member

Agreed – just wanted to get out instead of cooking!

jay_tht
    Free Member

Course was riding well last night with some nice new bits in the 8 mile loop.

good luck those racing.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Someone had to ask it… what tyres?

njee20
    Free Member

Thunder Burts if it’s dry, Rocket Rons if wet. Combo if in the middle.

Kryton57

Please tell me it’s not freshly cut single track with leaves and stems all over the floor – just std Gorrick trails?

*wonders if I need to bring a spare bike to negate*

jamesfts
    Free Member

Bit of fresh loam is never a bad thing, I’m sure there will be plenty of well ridden sections too.

What I’m more worried about is “It has remarkably little climbing this year” (from the FB page). Surely no climbing means no descending?

Jason
    Free Member

Don’t worry there is the normal amount of climbing. From last nights lap I made it 152m per lap, last year was 174m.

For anyone who has ridden previous races at Minley you recognise lots of sections, although some of it is back to front. The new bits seems okay, maybe a bit spongey in places. Like any course if it is wet on the day it will cut up a bit, but I doubt it will be anywhere near how bad it was at last winter’s Brass Monkey round, and that wasn’t too bad considering the weather.

Kryton57

What are eating facilities like? As I’m not arriving until Sunday I’m not expecting to eat anything I haven’t brought for the race until 12:00 and at breakfast Monday,

As long as their bacon and coffee available which I’d assume there is….?

Jason
    Free Member

Catering is normally by Quavers. They will do food at night and breakfast in the morning.

patagonian
    Free Member

how can you find out the route – they claim they are not allowed to publish it before the event?

njee20
    Free Member

Wait until Sunday?

patagonian
    Free Member

Well obviously some people don’t have to wait until Sunday…….

natrix
    Free Member

You can pre-ride the route on Saturday 8)

patagonian
    Free Member

I live “on-site” so I pre-ride it 3 or 4 times a week but if some sections are reversed I’d rather not meet people coming the other way 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Went round the old course just now. Must have had a monumental amount of rain but still rides well apart from puddles. Could see the new stuff-looked good but precisely because I wasn’t sure of the direction I stayed off.

adsh
    Free Member

Surrey
    Yellow early warning of rain
    0015 on Sun 30 August
    To:
    2350 on Sun 30 August
    Updated 1 hour ago
    Heavy showers and possibly some more prolonged rain is expected to affect southeastern parts of England at times during Sunday. Rain could be heavy, with the risk of some torrential downpours whilst lightning may well be an additional hazard at times.

Very localised impacts from standing water or flooding from fast responding water courses may affect travel and some outdoor events and activities.

Yak

I’m not racing this, but did the wet Brass Monkeys race as Jason above. I thought the course held up well considering and I’d be happy racing here in bad weather again. No need for mud tyres.

chum3
    Free Member

4 hour Brass Monkey at Minley last winter?

[shudders]

OK, OK… The course held up reasonably given the conditions, but they did close some sections off in the last hour (to the organisers credit), that was only after 2-3 hours of racing… And there were some pretty boggy sections that weren’t closed. The last lap was trending toward sole destroying, for me. I passed on a fifth lap…

Got the Beavers on…

singletrackmind

anyone know what time sign on closes????

I am entered for the 6hr solo which I think is 3pm to 9pm . I hope Im right as am doing runtimes on my lights just now in prep .
    Dont want ot arrive at 11am and hang around for hours till 3 if I dont have to .

jimification
    Free Member

Yes, I’d like to know this too please. Web page says sign on by 10:45am, rider briefing at 2pm. Doesn’t mention a later sign-in for the 3pm starters.

Kryton57

And the early arrivers test-ride course summary is…?

JamesD
    Free Member

Was on site earlier today and the signs up say there’s a later sign-on for 6hr riders until 1.45pm.

DT78
    Free Member

Forecast is all over the place. Ive got an entire bag of kit to cover torrential to dry and warm….

how similar is the course to previous years?

Stiggy

From Gorrick:
    For the 6 hour riders Registration is open from
    9 to 10.45 and then from 1 to 1.45 with a compulsory rider briefing at 2pm
    before you all start at 3pm.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Course is good, should hold up well if the weather is bad… Which it currently is. Less climbing than previous years but also feels like more single track.

adsh
    Free Member

And the early arrivers test-ride course summary is…?

Very nice course – different enough to be interesting. Seemed a bit more singletrack but also some fire road to dring/gel etc. I left before the rain.

Muke
    Free Member

Warm and dry for the start

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfQJ8rX

DT78
    Free Member

Ouch.

singletrackmind

well, I think Gorrick just got away with it. The amount of rain over the preevious week always meant it was going to twitchy , and it was . But the biblical ‘months rain in a day’ didnt appear.

Rode my first 6hr solo vet (46yo) On the basis that last year as a team the laps were quick and relatively painless. Not this year.

Had to constantly be on alert for wet roots , trees and the fast boys duking it out for a podium place.

Went off too fast and suffered toward the end abit , crashed at exactly the same place on 2 seperate laps but enjoyed the singletrack alot.

A few rude ‘ get off line and let me through ‘ guys , but the majority of passes were mutualy agreed and polite, given the amount of singletrack worked well,mostly.

Course was grippy and a few new sections cut up quite badly exposing even more roots although there appeared to be maintenance going on throughout the race .

I am never going to win or even podium , but am happy enough with my 6 laps and 22 /47 in cat . Came in a 8.58pm , but knew another lap would have been over the hour so binned it off . Stiff and sore this morning , lazy duvet day and making up for no lunch or dinner.

chum3
    Free Member

Weather gods were smiling, for sure. Couple of light showers, and the cloud cover meant it stayed warm into the night, so I wore a short sleeve jersey for all my laps.
    Course was good fun, bit sketchy with ‘hidden’ roots and some washed-out corners at night, but overall a really fun, well run event.

adsh
    Free Member

Led Grand Vets for a lap – very unwise. Died 3hrs in, recovered, started to die again then got a stick in my mech at 8hrs while running second and that was that.

Personally I thought the course was a bit too hard for a 12hr.

patagonian
    Free Member

I thought it was a very good course, you had to concentrate all the time as there were very few long straights. Yes it did cut up and became very rooty in the evening but given the weather that’s not surprising. If it had been dry/dusty it would have been very interesting.
    With one exception everyone was fine with overtaking etc.

Kryton57

Personally I thought the course was a bit too hard for a 12hr.

Tell me about it, there was little respite with peddling all the way, and i’m glad the rain held off and it stayed smooth and more flowing – just the ever shinier roots to worry about but other than that I thought the course and arrangements were excellent.

But Pairs though – Njee was right – with us doing double laps using a “conservative start / consistent laps” strategy we’ve basically done 5+ short form XC races in 12 hours, I feel battered 😕

However, myself and my buddy picked up 3rd in Male Vets pairs, despite a slashed tyre resulting in a 3 mile run to the handover, and some lap juggling as my partner lost 3 chainring bolts during his lap – we were on for second before those. Really glad to be on the podium which has reflected on an increasingly better year for me, and also a shout out to 2 of our club colleagues who picked up 3rd Male Pairs.

DT78
    Free Member

Was running 6th in pairs when rear mech went as well. That and a puncture meant an early finsih for a beer.

There were roots that ‘appeared’ as the race went on making previously safe lines and bit of a gamble so you had to be really careful. My lights weren’t really up to it either so I some ways an early finish was probably wise,

Another great event

Passing wise, people were very courtesy, even to the point of pushing me a little too hard as people were so keen to move over meant you had to accelerate to get past when you could really do with a rest! Only had one person slow me up badly and only one guy barge me out of the way starting the discussion with “I don’t want to be a tosser but…..” Kind of shows you know it isn’t a safe place to pass. Especially at night.

adsh
    Free Member

Wasn’t the pedaling more the jarring. Must be my old bones even with full suss I’m a wreck. Also can’t find my Garmin 😥

DT78
    Free Member

Oh and how did the driver of the Audi R8 fit their mountain bike in?

Kryton57

Also can’t find my Garmin

Talk to Gorrick/Torq – one was handed in but they couldn’t locate the owner.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick Torq In Your Sleep’ is closed to new replies.