Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Gorrick Enduro: You weren't there mannnnn, you wouldnt understand……………
  • petetheplumber
    Free Member

I know, there are ground nesting birds and they can only build a certain times of year. But I don’t think filling holes left after 500 riders have been past in going to frighten the birds off. We have to respect the wild life in the area it helps to stop them build houses over the tank traps.

cinnamon_girl

Well, it seems to me that the racers ride in, race, then ride out again. Other users just have to ride through whatever state the trails have been left in.

pete makes a good point about repairing the damage afterwards. Has anyone seen that being done?

Again, can I stress that I am not anti-racing.

bionicwoman
    Free Member

CG knows my feeling on the situation, I think we are all fighting a losing battle as clearly the crown estate do not value or care about the mtb potential at swinley. They don't even close trails to allow repair nowadays so like I said no win situation, bear in mind we are extremely lucky in this area as there are masses of other trails in the surrey hants borders to ride that are just as good as swinley and a quarter as busy!! My attitutude is that I rarely ride swinley now as lots to ride elsewhere!!

tonyd

Sounds like it was a fun weekend! Haven't read the whole thread but would agree that it would be better if some trails were closed to let them recover after a severe beating.

The folks that volunteer and maintain the trails at Swinley do a great job and should be applauded, if only they'd be given more support from the Crown Estate.

As for not holding events there, a few races per year are good for the sport and the general profile of MTB in my opinion. The thing I object to is half the forest being closed for months at a time so Warner Bros can film 10 minutes of footage! I brought this up to a security guard a couple of months ago when he stopped a group of us cutting across to the MTB area and he pointed out that Warner Bros probably paid more than £17 – fair point!!!!

martinh
    Free Member

Just back from a ride round the race route.

The good news is that large chunks of the course were on fire roads that are away from the areas that mountain bikers and walkers generally use. The bad was that wherever the single track was loamy rather than 'built' the routes had all been widened by people avoiding the muddy patches. Brand new sections of trail that could have been good alternatives to some of the existing, overridden trails were just carved into soil and already need recovery time .

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the update Martin. 🙂

theotherjonv

just as a thought / comparison.

There was a Gorrick XC race 2 weeks ago in the middle of the dry spell. That also created some new trails near Surrey Hill for example. What is their condition like 2 weeks on. They've had pretty dry weather barring last weekend and I would predict have not been ridden to extreme since, given there's only been one decent weekend since then and they were a bit away from the usual areas.

I'm not trying to reignite the debate, just genuinely interested at how much damage several hundred wheels cause in the dry and by comparison how much is weather related.

thepurist

Just thought I'd give credit where it's due – there's been some trail pixieing on the top part of the Deerstalker, filling in the hollows and sorting out the braking bumps into the berms, especially the first left hander over the bump/tabletop. Who knows if it was to make repairs after the Enduro or just regular maintenance, but it's all good.

njee20
    Free Member

I keep meaning to upload photos of my brake pads, I managed to go clean through one pad, in it's entirety, with the piston dragging the rotor. Don't think my bike will ever be the same again!

njee20
    Free Member

This explains why my brakes weren't working properly…

br
    Free Member

at least your still have 'black' on them, mine were just 'gold' from the backing pad

njee20
    Free Member

Have you seen the bottom right pad!?

I've ruined the piston too on one of the brakes, it's had to go back to Fishers, not great!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, mine didn't reach that state thankfully

glenncampbell

njee20 – outstanding effort!!! I feel slightly better now 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Just remains to be seen how much it'll cost me for a new XX piston and no doubt a seal kit and what not 🙁

glenncampbell

Ah – bit of a catch there. If it's any consolation I couldn't get hold of a shimano piston and seal kit as they don't make them 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I rather expect my brake may disappear into the ether that is Fisher's returns department! Luckily got something else to tide my over!

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick Enduro: You weren't there mannnnn, you wouldnt understand……………’ is closed to new replies.