• This topic has 233 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by richP.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)
  • Gorrick brass monkey race
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

how long are the laps? strava seems to suggest about 6km, going to get dizzy after 4hrs?

Jason
    Free Member

Is tunnel hill the one with the big parking area and massive puddles?

Yes

How long are the laps?

My wife did a lap of the course last night, I think she said it was just over 7 miles. She mentioned it was quite hilly too.

aP
    Free Member

Hilly? Bugger.
    Who else is going?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shortcut

I did a lap last night with Psnts. Came out nearer 8 miles for me with a few small hills.

And I am actually racing/riding this one.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in. I did Tunnel Hill in January this year when conditions were similar to Minley! Other than the tunnely bit, I can’t remember the course though.

No real tactical changes from me other than riding slightly easier early on to keep a bit more in reserve for the last lap. Will probably whack an extra Mars or two in my pocket too 😉

akira

I’ll be there, on one fatty puffing up the hills and worrying about what type of box to put in the pit area.
    how many laps do we think is reasonable then?

DT78
    Free Member

I’m in. Not a great fortnight prep with norovirus and then a week in Belgium. I’m trying to kid myself Ralph’s will be fine because I don’t want to faff with tubeless….

shortcut

Did it fine with an almost bald back tyre last night.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m trying to kid myself Ralph’s will be fine because I don’t want to faff with tubeless….

They will be, it drains well over there, and it’s been pretty dry for the last few weeks, in fact virtually since the last race!

I’m in, looking forward to it!

Yak

Pah – I’m out. Too much work and other faff, no riding recently. Have a good race everyone.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I’m in. Although our 8 month old baby is ill at the moment. Sleep deprivation is kicking in. I’m not expecting much of a result.

c_klein87

i’m in, no silly running races the day before this time, and the right clothes!

adsh
    Free Member

I will be there. Might do the practice lap the day before this time…..

Will be arriving tired from winter base miles #earlyexcuse

DT78
    Free Member

I’m sure the seasoned races come on here, convince the newbie saps that inappropriate tyres will be fine, and then ride past them chuckling on the day…

njee20
    Free Member

Might do the practice lap the day before this time…..

Just don’t do it, even easier!

I’m sure the seasoned races come on here, convince the newbie saps that inappropriate tyres will be fine, and then ride past them chuckling on the day…

I genuinely think Ralphs will be ok! That said, I’ve got Beavers on as I tried them out last weekend and I’m not sure I can be arsed to change back to Rons, so I will have significantly knobblier tyres than you!

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ve yet to find anything I can’t climb/descend with Rons at the correct pressure. When I do, I’ll buy some new tyres 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

So, will there be a few more wooden table / garden fork setups then?

adsh
    Free Member

Talking about tyres on Brass Monkey threads is like asking if your mate revised for the exam – they say no but strangely do very well when the results come out.

Fast draining only goes so far with up to 1,000 wheels going round multiple laps. That said it does look much drier for this round which doesn’t play to my attritional nature.

crosshair
    Free Member

Was tempted but I will either run my camelbak half full or just the 750ml bottle depending on how warm it is. Im pretty sure it isn’t going to affect my result either way 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, bottles on the floor for me!

sarpullido
    Free Member

I’m in 4 hours vets as usual. More hills than previous round? I like hills

gee
    Free Member

I rode there last weekend and there was barely a puddle.

It hasn’t really rained since.

You’ll be fine on Ralphs, possibly even Burts.

GB

dirtyrider
    Free Member

burts 😆 surely there is corners?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Nah, bottles on the floor for me!

Ditto

benji
    Free Member

More hills, and less muddy slop, that’s got to be a good thing. Better prepare to batter myself on my singlespeed. Running Nic on the front, Ron on the back, some would say I’m over rubbered but I feel confident with the front end on that combo.

crosshair
    Free Member

Looking forward to it! Think I’m all prepped. I’m going bog-standard on the hydration again and just running my 750ml bottle. At least none of the keenos could ride the course today 😀 (not that it will make them slower 🙁 )

sarpullido
    Free Member

What a fantastic course!
    One of the best that I can remember. I wish they would have left that tricky short downhill as it was. After second lap a new line was opened on the right.
    My bike failed again. Rear hub didn’t engage under power from the very beginning. Got worse and worse until I couldn’t pedal at all. Ended up pushing bike for nearly full lap. A pity because I felt good throughout the race. I was 6th after 4th lap despite all problems but finished in the middle with 5 laps.
    Could have done 6

frogstomp

Great race today.. results up on Timelaps.

DT78
    Free Member

Really enjoyed that, great track, paced it really well for 4 laps in the 4hr. Problem was I was way before the cut off, so had to go out for a 5th. Cramp in the first 10mins of the lap and spent the next 50 in lots of pain. Still good tolerance training!

Finshed 26/43. Surprised the field was so small. Smaller than round 1’s.

gee
    Free Member

What a brilliant race. The course was amazing – really flowy and suprisingly dry given the swamp that was the N Downs yesterday. It really goes to show how hard the Gorrick team (and Pants!) work on the trails, blowing all the slippy covering off the entire lap. I decided I had something to prove after my mincing and misery at R1, so attacked from the gun and didn’t wind it in until the final two laps. I was nervous about having to do 7 so kept it in check on the hills for the final two. Won by 11 minutes in the end which was good.

Happy christmas to all and see you at R3.

GB

crosshair
    Free Member

Course was brilliant! I chucked my chain into my spokes on lap 1 and then despite being 30 mins before cut off, bailed after 4 laps. I could have done a fifth but heard I was 27th on the tannoy and knew I wasn’t going to beat last times position. I only lost 1 place anyway.

Highlight for me was Gee passing two of us early on his fifth lap down that first tricky descent with the loudest shout of “OOOOONNNNNNN THE RIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!” I have ever heard, as he came by at about 35mph before drifting it round the tree at the bottom with some proper sideways action! Class.

c_klein87

What a great race, so happy it was dry, I was crap in the mud! happy with 4th in 4hr. Mild grumble about the number of gel wrappers left on the course! it’s pathetic! how hard is it to eat, then stuff it in your Jersey pocket! Unless you’re smashing laps out In 35mins, u can spare 5seconds to stash a gel wrapper!! Jepodises the races for next year!

Chris N

njee20
    Free Member

Great course, great weather, great fun. Really good event, as always!

Top ride GB, I lasted on your wheel for about a minute before nearly ploughing into a tree!

phil40
    Free Member

Great course and lovely conditions compared to round 1. I only managed 1lap, lesson learnt about doing my long run the day before a Gorrick event 🙂

richP

Yeah I thought the course was great. Also amazingly dry! And interesting enough for the four hours to fly by.
    Fairly brutal though with lots of short ups. Legs were certainly feeling the burn after two laps racing Scott for second place. Had to ease off to avoid dying horribly. Still was good to finish on the podium.

Hopefully more of the same at round 3!

akira

Got dreadful cramp and hit a tree, excellent fun overall. Lack of training recently was very noticeable but happy enough.

crosshair
    Free Member

@akira Was it you who asked if I had any tips for cramp when I asked if you were ok?

gee
    Free Member

Crosshair – that big sideways action was a complete accident – sooo happy I saved it as that would have been a fairly big accident.

That’s my ‘don’t even think of getting in the way I’m not slowing down’ shout. Mostly they aren’t that loud! It’s more for the avoidance of doubt… At those speeds you don’t want someone wandering into your line. Gets rolled out a Mayhem a bit too, usually on a last lap gunning for a win!

Chris – even those lapping quickly have time to put wrappers in their pockets… It’s usually those mid-pack who *think* they’re too fast who don’t IME. I have been known to see someone dropping a wrapper, stop to pick it up and return it to them…

GB

crosshair
    Free Member

Indeed! It was certainly appropriate 😀 Can you look at your GPX and see how fast you were going (down there) on lap 5?? It was an epic save in that case 😀

adsh
    Free Member

Brilliant course and some great racing. Really went out hard and pretty much stayed on it for 4 laps and 8th in the grand vets. Met some really nice people.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick brass monkey race’ is closed to new replies.