Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Gorilla tape for tubeless.
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Can somebody please post a link the the 25mm Gorilla tape they use instead of the Stans yellow tape please, I don’t want to buy the wrong gear.

Cheers:)

woodster

I just use the normal stuff.

Here

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richardthird

You can get it in Homebase too

godzilla
    Free Member

Sweet! Cheers guys, any tips for installation on new rims, key surface wipe with ipa stretch 3 laps?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yeah, use something else. I found that the adhesive soaked up sealant and came un bonded on the edges and was a sticky mess that was a pain to clean if you needed to re-do it, which became necessary after each tyre change because the loose edges got caught and messed up by the tyre bead.

It never let me down, but there are easier tapes that can be used to reduce tubeless faff.

nach
    Free Member

I have a gorilla tape setup on the front and it went up fine. The rim is powder coated and it had trouble sticking even after a wipe with IPA, so I put a couple of layers of electrical tape down over the centre of the rim channel first for it to stick to.

As scienceofficer says, it leaves horrible residue on your rim. IPA will get it, but other tapes are easier to clean up.

enfht
    Free Member

Don’t try using Gorilla Glue for sealant.

johnnystorm

Like the man says, yes it works, but not as well as the proper stuff. Roval blue tape is good and nearly as cheap if you can find somewhere selling it.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Sent the Missus out to buy glue when we were putting our kitchen in last month. She came back with Gorilla Glue. Damn that stuff’s good. My top tip would be to make sure you glue it right first time!

Think I saw the narrower Gorilla tape in Tesco and or B&Q recently

proutster
    Free Member

Just go for Tesa 4289 tape, I just paid £12.45 on Ebay for 25mm wide x 66 metres and it is exactly the same as Stans Tape – except it is less than 1/6 of the price!!

BillOddie

I used the very wide Gorilla tape cut to width on a set of Duallys.

I haven’t any issues with sealant getting into the adhesive or leaks and I have swapped rear tyres 3 times in about 6 months, but:

1) the tape is pulled tight.
    2) the tape is cover the full width of the rim.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Gorilla 25mm is in Halfords at £3 a pop. I tried it, had bad results. It lifted at the edges and it’s HEAVY. I’m trying Gorilla Clear Repair Tape for tubeless, a rim is sitting with a tube in right now, gonna fluid it tonight!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Gorilla Tape is what ENVE spec in their tubeless kits

RickSpangle
    Free Member

Homebase as others have said. Personally never had an issue with gorilla tape and I always use the branded stuff. My top tip would be white spirit the rim first, apply tape firmly (only ever done one lap) pressing out all creases and bubbles as you go and the trim any areas where it laps up the sides.

Have done this with numerous wheels over the last few years without any issue.

nach
    Free Member

I’ve only had it lift on wide rims where it didn’t go far enough up to the edges. So far, wider tape cut down has been holding just fine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Gorilla tape is okay until you snap a spoke then you regret using it when you need to prep the rim for a new application of the stuff. It is a real pain to remove and hence why it’s worth buying Stans tape.

BillOddie

My top tip would be white spirit the rim first

I did this too…well Isopropyl Alc but made sure the rims was spotless.

brassneck

Did you mean meths rather than white spirit maybe? White spirit leaves an oily residue.

al

When I needed to replace a nipple on a Gorilla taped rim, I just poked a hole in the tape, sorted the nipple and stuck an inch of tape back over the hole. That was a year or so ago. Using Stans sealant. No problems.

Agree that if you want to remove it it leaves a mess, but why remove it? Plus nail polish remover (from the wife’s budget) gets it off with a bit of elbow grease.

unovolo
    Free Member

I cleaned my rims with some nail varnish remover on a clean lint free cloth, then applied one full wrap of Gorilla tape with about a 4″overlap around the valve area.

Prewarmec the Gorilla tape on a radiator to make it more pliable and sticky and have had zero problems with it so far.

benpinnick

Gorilla tape is okay until you snap a spoke then you regret using it when you need to prep the rim for a new application of the stuff. It is a real pain to remove and hence why it’s worth buying Stans tape.

Yep gorilla is a total PITA to clean off when you need to remove it (which you will one day)…

Speshpaul

all you people with sticky rims…….
    one turn of pvc tape first, seals the spoke holes, GT does lift off it, easy to clean up.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I used Heavy Duty Duct Tape, and worked perfectly. Just any similar tape will do, doesn’t have to be a particular brand. Followed Pinkbike’s guide http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Gorilla-Tape-Tubeless-Conversion.html

zero-cool
    Free Member

I just use electrical tape. It’s been on my rims for several years now and still going strong.

wiggles
    Free Member

Gorilla tape is just a brand of duct tape it’s nothing special.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Gorilla tape for tubeless.’ is closed to new replies.