Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gore windstopper soft shell vs windstopper active shell.
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Looking for a new outer shell, realised my approach of wearing multiple baselayers/jerseys in the cold was not cutting it, in order to stay warm enough when stopped in windchill i’d have to wear that much that when i was giving some, i’d overheat, sweat buckets, sweath was then getting really cold and robbing me of heat.

So a windproof outer shell with less layers underneath is the right way to go, correct?

I gave this a go by going out in just a baselayer and my montane fetherlite H2O, a minimilist pertex shell, but instantly wetted it out with my sweat, just was not breathable enough, though i was warm enough to complete the ride in just a baselayer.

Considering i appear to be too sweaty for a lightwieght pertex shell, would a gore windstopper active shell be any better? I imagine the windstopper soft shell breathes even more, correct? (the id be missing out on being able to stick the softshell in a stuff sack on my bars)

BadlyWiredDog

Considering i appear to be too sweaty for a lightwieght pertex shell, would a gore windstopper active shell be any better? I imagine the windstopper soft shell breathes even more, correct? (the id be missing out on being able to stick the softshell in a stuff sack on my bars)

Pertex is less breathable than people think, it’s a really tightly woven fabric, which is why it’s windproof, but it’s not particularly good at letting moisture vapour out. Windstopper Active and Windstopper Soft Shell both breathe around the same level as they use the same membrane just with different iiner and face fabrics, I suspect, if you find Pertex too sweaty, you’ll also find either type of Windstopper similar.

Pertex does a fabric called Pertex Equilibrium, which is less windproof but more breathable than ‘normal’ windproof Pertex if you can find a top made from that. Or Rab’s VapourRise Lite is also a really good balance between protection and breathability.

Or maybe try a windproof vest as a compromise. It’s about trying to find a happy medium that works. Fwiw, the best windproof material I’ve found, and I run hot, is the stuff Norrona – posh Scandinavian brand – uses for its Fjora Aero jacket, which LD Mountain Centre is currently selling at half price if you’re the right size.

Sandwich

If you’re a camelbak/other pack wearer (one of the larger ones) then a down sweater/hoody in the bag would be my go to for stops in the cold.

Alternatively try one of the lightweight paramo tops (quito or similar). I don’t think you’ll find a satisfactory system as you run hot and wet, the wet will always be a problem when you stop requiring an extra layer over what you’re all ready wearing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Im a user of Gore Windstopper softshells (Gore Alp-X 2.0 & a Phantom 2) & a Gore Active Shell Gore-Tex (Gore Alp-X 2.0)

Both excellent at stopping wind penetration, as you would expect.

I do however find the Softshell more breathable and reach for one of them before the Active Shell, unless I know it’s going to rain.

I find a HH Freeze baselayer & a softshell perfect when it’s sub zero.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m using a gore alp x, long sleeve gore base layer and a scott wind proof gilet, this is fine for me to below 0. When I get a bit hot the pit zips on the alp x are brilliant.

I also try not to stop in cold places 🙂

MSP

I find pertex too sweaty, its real advantage is the size it packs down to. I also find windstopper too sweaty, in fact I can’t believe how it seems to have become the “softshell” market leader. I find powersheild much more breathable, and it wicks better keeper the wearer dryer which is often the problem when going from being active to standing around doing nothing in the cold.

chiefgrooveguru

The best I’ve found is Mountain Equipment Exolite 2 fabric. I have a Paramo Fuera windproof and that gets much clammier feeling, though not as bad as Pertex. The proper Paramo waterproofs are too warm for MTBing except when it’s very cold. Exolite 2 is a more knitted feeling stretchy wind resistant fabric – wicks well and the moisture shifts to the smooth outer face away from the rough inner face (which thus feels drier).

All the laminated things like Windstopper are like plastic bags in comparison.

Gotama
    Free Member

For cold weather ie as it was during the middle of the week where it was dropping down to -4 overnight I find my gore phantom excellent with just a base layer underneath. Being able to zip off the sleeves is a nicety if it warms up during the day as well. Only annoyance for me, as a non backpack wearer, is it doesn’t have a zip pocket on it. I’m also a pretty sweaty person and struggle with any kind of waterproof jacket.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Chief, do you have either of the orbital or javelin ME jackets?

Suggsey
    Free Member

And for me, I too find wind stopper or wind bloc soft shells too hot, in normal cool winter conditions a normal long sleeve Jersey and paramo Fuera wind proof is adequate but for below 5C rides I tend to use a man made base layer/ Jersey and a Rab Generator Smock which is pretext equilibrium outer…. After several hours it wets out from sweat but I remain warm bit like the Merino effect but it dries much faster.
    As I orefer the lighter weight more basic, looser, less of a slim fit kit I have just ordered a Polaris AM Vapour jacket….Rip stop outer with a micro fleece lining similar to a Lusso jacket I had about twenty years ago and wore in all sorts of winter weather.

chiefgrooveguru

Chief, do you have either of the orbital or javelin ME jackets?

I have the older version of the orbital (no hood). I got it for walking, skiing, horse-riding, casual use and was so impressed after owning it a year that I decided to get another for mountain biking (I didn’t want to make the lower back of my nice one mud coloured, as well as the usual crash/foliage damage…) Managed to get a half price discontinued one (with event branding) and wear it about half the year on the bike.

I’ll have to come up with a Munchausian tale regarding my implied ultra marathon exploits…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gore windstopper soft shell vs windstopper active shell.’ is closed to new replies.