Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gore Tex waterproofing
  • bitterlemon
    Free Member

After a couple of years use the gore tex jacket has given up and water has stopped beading off it. I’ve followed the treatment guides over the years (nikewax) but now it seems to get soaked after 30 minutes in heavy rain which it never used to do. Is there anything that can be done to save it. Thanks.

jam-bo

Tumble dryer on low heat?

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Yep done that and high heat to reactive the dwr?

PrinceJohn

I was in the same position with my endura jacket – I bought a can of muc-off fabric protect. Seems to be working so far.

kcal

can’t recall if a light iron might work as well.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

I think the iron works instead of sticking it in the tumble dryer. Is the fabric protect the same as nikewax? I’ll take a look at that. Cheers.

Davesport

Yer jacket needs a wash first. I’ve been through this and took advice from a local company that deals with this type of thing.

You’ll need something like Tech Wash to do this. Don’t use anything you can buy in the supermarket. It’ll make things worse. Clean out the detergent drawer in the washing machine and then put it on a rinse cycle to get rid of any detergent residue. Wash the jacket according to the instructions and then follow this by applying the re-proofing. I used the Nikwax spray on proofing and did my walking Goretex and cycling jacket together. I tried the wash in proofing but I found it not to be as effective as the spray.

The difference before and after was obvious as the water beads up and slides straight off. The proofing that dripped off onto the patio proofed that too leaving lots of little waterproof dots 😀

There’s probably some good info on Youtube.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll go down the spray route, is muc off fabric the same as nikewax spray-will it still be breathable when using a spray? Cheers.

matt_outandabout

You do also get to a point where muck and the years have taken their toll, and you have to bin…

UK-FLATLANDER

Sometimes it’s worth cleaning it with detergent first, then Tech Wash to remove the detergent then finally reproof. Tech Wash alone is sometimes not strong enough to get the garment really clean, particularly if it’s got ingrained oil and mud.

Davesport

Yup, still breathable so I’m informed. I doubt I’d be able to tell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gore Tex waterproofing’ is closed to new replies.