• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by cdoc.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gore-Tex jackets – worth it?
  • rhayter

So, I spotted a mahoosive discount on Gore-Tex at CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gore-bike-wear-power-gore-tex-active-jacket-ss17/rp-prod144132

But I am a) tight and b) skeptical. And all Gore-Tex jackets, no matter who makes them, seem pricey to me.

Are they really worth the money? Or what’s the alternative material?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes, IMHO.

I’ve a fair few, and they are great bits of kit.

Mind, If you’re tight, why not buy one that covers off more than just riding?
    😉

daern
    Free Member

I have an Alp-X GTX Active Shell jacket and love it. Stays dry even in the crappiest conditions and has taken a fair amount of abuse over the years. Probably worth the money (I also got it on a sale, for the same sort of price as this) and can recommend.

matt_outandabout

As a Gore Pro-Shell owner, yes. It is more durable a membrane than the last few jackets and trousers I have had.
    Having said that, I would prioritise cut, venting and features from a good brand above the latest ‘most breathable’ fabric. The cut/venting/features has far more impact on reachability and dryness in rain or when sweating than fabric. See Patagonia M10 jacket.

I buy in sales anyway – my Mountain Equipment ProShell mountain jacket was £83 from RoughGear in a dafty one day sale, down from £250…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s not a bad price for gore-tex but it’s very bike specific cut.

IMO Gore Tex is great in really shitty horrible winter conditions when either below freezing and strong winds, or just above freezing and chucking it down. Even then mine has pit zips which IMO are essential.

I buy Gore Tex to stop me getting wet from the outside, they don’t stop boil in a bag, they are just better than other fabrics. Get a nicely cut more walking style jacket

Edit – just noticed no hud, so big no from me.

martymac

Yes, they’re worth it.
    I’ve a north face one i bought in canada, its superb, not too pricey either.
    Also an altura cycling jacket, its good too.
    I apply my personal rule to anything i buy nowadays, if its the cheapest available item of that type, it ‘probably’ won’t be that good.
    Not always of course, ymmv etc.

jam-bo

that jacket is goretex active which i don’t think is great. fine for keeping road spray & light rain off but no good in a downpour.

goretex pro if you want something bomber.

matt_outandabout

IMO Gore Tex is great in really shitty horrible winter conditions when either below freezing and strong winds, or just above freezing and chucking it down

Do remember, GoreTex is the brand. There are many models of Gore fabrics, some better than others.

honourablegeorge

I had the one below off Wiggle for sinilar price a while back, and it’s been excellent, really pleased with it

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-power-trail-gore-tex-active-shell-jacket-1/

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

nah i dont think its worth it, not for my little jaunts outdoors. Rare that I am in such appalling conditions that it is required , unless you are a pro sailor / skier / all action mountain dude, which you may be

jam-bo

^^^^

clearly never been to devon. 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i live in Northern Sweden 😆

dovebiker

I have a variety of hard and softshell jackets in various flavours and GoreTex is one of the best for keeping the weather out, but like all the fabrics I’ve tried, won’t stop you cooking. Because of the way that Gore guarantees their fabrics, design and manufacturing then you rarely get a duff one. There may be lighter or more breathable fabrics but the compromise is durability.

rhayter

I thought Gore-Tex Active was the most up-to-date fabric?

matt_outandabout

the most up-to-date fabric?

Supposedly most breathable.
    Likely less durable.
    Still need to look at cut and venting over fabric.

cdoc
    Free Member

that jacket is goretex active which i don’t think is great. fine for keeping road spray & light rain off but no good in a downpour.

So far, I have found the new Goretex active shakedry amazingly waterproof, much more so than my mt500 jacket and on par, if not better than a couple of other good brand mountain jackets.
    A downside to it’s very good breathability is that it is a very light fabric, therefore, not too resilient to wear, but the lack of a face fabric means no need for dwr coatings and it can never wet out.

Goretex pro is great in terms of toughness, but has similar ratings to standard goretex in terms of waterproofness and breathability, just with a much tougher backing fabric.

Interestingly, Gore bike wear are currently working on a slightly tougher mtb style jacket in Goretex active shakedry fabric but with a tough backing fabric to beef it up, kinda like a Goretex pro.

dhrider
    Free Member

I have the Element Paclite jacket which I wear on and off the bike and find it great
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gore-bike-wear-element-gt-paclite-jacket-ss17/rp-prod153873

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

if considering gtx also look at pertex shield, rab use it on alot of jackets and its similiar.
    for mtb’ing i found a gore active shell windstopper breathed far better than goretex jackets i own.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A downside to it’s very good breathability is that it is a very light fabric, therefore, not too resilient to wear

OK for road riding then, but not so good off mountain biking (wearing a rucksack, crashing etc)??

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Gore Bike Wear Gore-Tex Active jackets, and I really rate them. Well worth it. Best riding jackets I’ve had.

cdoc
    Free Member

Not too sure, tortoise. I always ride with a pack and crash fairly often and it has not died yet, but it is certainly aimed at the roadie market rather than mud fetishists!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gore-Tex jackets – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.