• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gore Softshells
  • Scapegoat

I’m after a new windproof softshell jacket. Budget is up to say £120 if the product is good.

Before I go looking I would like to know whether the Gore Contest is reasonably thick material, and whether it looks OK off the bike.

I’m after something that is reasonably warm as a cold ride jacket, but also that can be used as a mid-layer under a waterproof outer shell when walking.

Failing that, has anyone got any experience of the DHB Windslammer from Wiggle is any good? It looks pretty good, but again, I can’t tell what sort of thickness the material is.

Pieface

Save your money and get a pertex top. More packable and versatile. I’ve owned a phantom and now prefer the windshell rather than softshell approach

jfeb
    Free Member

I have a Gore Oxygen SO, which I think is pretty similar to a Contest. It is very definitely a cycling top and would be obviously a cycling top if I wore it for other activities. IMO, anything cycling-specific looks pretty out of place off the bike (if that matters).

The Oxygen is very water repellant. I haven’t ever worn it under a waterproof outer shell and tbh although it is very breathable for a jacket, I’d want something even more breathable under a waterproof. I don’t think softshells make good mid-layers.

Not directly relevant experience to your question but in the absence of any other replies….

angeldust
    Free Member

IMOthe Gore soft shells are great. However, the fit is very cycling specific. Nothing to stop you from using it as a walking mid layer, but I wouldn’t dream of it (and I suspect most people would end up buying something specifically for that purpose).

druidh
    Free Member

IMHO – too warm to be used under a waterproof whilst walking.

Scapegoat

Great replies thanks. It answers a lot of questions. I already have a Montane featherlite windshirt, a cheap cycling softshell (Crane) a thin Dare2be softshell , and an Alp X GT 2.0 waterproof, so it could be argued I’ve got enough bike jackets :oops:.

I’m after replacing my current thick Dare2be softshell that I wear off the bike, as a casual jacket, and under my waterproof in cold wet weather. I guess I was hoping it would be versatile enough to wear on the bike , but you may have convinced me otherwise.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Amongst lots of other kit, I have a Gore Contest. I find it to be absolutely brilliant both for XC/MTB and fast-paced roadie stuff. When the weather gets really stinky, I pop my Gore Alp X Paclite over the top.
    My Contest is black with red contrast zips and in many ways I think that it wouldn’t look too out of place whilst walking… it doesn’t have a long back and there aren’t loads of pockets everywhere… Gore stuff is just great.

trailhound
    Free Member

I too have a Gore Oxygen SO which I absolutely love, comfort,fit, performance etc is IMO outstanding.
    The only thing I might possibly change is the fact that I went for a white one which I still think looks great but is a bugger to keep clean and so was just wondering what people use to wash the windstopper shell without damaging/affecting performance? Doesn’t really say much on the label other than to wash at no more than 40degrees which I’ve been doing but not sure if I should be doing something else instead?
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

CaptainSlow

I wash my Gore Phantom after every ride. Follow the care instructions. White is not a good colour for MTB so the only real advice is not to buy white? 😈

trailhound
    Free Member

Yeah too late for that though! It was white, blue or red and my waterproof is red, got a blue mid layer already so thought I’d go for the white! Tbh mud etc washes out ok, just have to remember to keep away from the greasy jobs in it!

Lucas
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about Gore softshells recently as the zip on my 5 year old phantom is starting to break.

I love the phantom (old next to skin one), I generally run quite hot and find it perfect when worn on its own in temps from about 0 to 10 deg. So what new gore softshell best matches the old phantom?

Sorry for the hijack.

igm

If your looking for an off the bike softshell, I just pick up a snowboardish Surfanic one from the Surfanic shop for £35 down from £70 that seems decent.

Plain and simple. Two zip pockets and a hood. Green, black or blue your choice.

I have a Gore Phantom for riding though and that’s excellent – very bikes though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gore Softshells’ is closed to new replies.