Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • GORE RIDE ON GEAR CABLES – worth it and how hard to install?
  • rockhopper70

views please….

Bikepimp
    Free Member

They are overpriced and not worth the extra over xtr.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love them. Last years. give the benefit of full outers but with the crisp shifting of interrupted cables. I'd say well worth it. They last so well that on my last frame transplant, I look the cables with me!

Not hard to fit, just be clean and careful when you do it.

hug
    Free Member

Lovely smooth trouble free reliable shifting (if sods law has its way thats monday nights ride ruined by gear trouble) I put them on with xtr shifters & xt shadow rear mech about 18 months ago, wet-muddy rides handle bars spinning right round during a spill & yanking the cables (friday afternoon) silky smooth. One thing is they seem to be a bit tight with the amount of outer they supply,I've got a mediun framed sanderson (hardtail) and it was about a foot short, luckily the shop wot i brought it from had a reel of it in the workshop & gave me a suitable length.

Onzadog
    Free Member

good point. Worth remembering that they do a long version if your frame uses a lot of housing.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Like them. Last for ages, can be fiddly to install but having just built up a new bike and had to use XTR those little rubber end caps on XTR are a pain and won't seal the system as well as the ride on cables.

If you can get ride on cables (not the professional ones) then there is very little in it price wise as well. I shan't bother replacing the XTR with XTR when the time comes, I'll go back to Gore Ride On at that point.

rockhopper70

seems like they are worth it…any other views tonight…???

Paulio
    Free Member

Really neat looking system and it works a treat, seems better than the Avid Flak Jackets I've used before.

Installation isn't that fiddly although I found that a couple of cable stops were a bit tight for the plastic ferules so had to scrape away some excess paint.

They are a bit tight with the outer – I had just enough for my small Yeti ASR-sl and the over the top packaging annoyed me more than it should have too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nice but expensive – I used to do all the above and now back with XTR cable sets – They are set and forget but after 1-2 years the covering on the inners stuffed up and when your out on a ride suddenly no shifting 🙁

Instalation not too bad but read read read the instructions before cutting and fitting as you can't go back 🙂

Mackem

Had some fitted 10 years ago (seriously). The bike shop at the time said they were a right **** to fit. Still work nice and smooth.

nicko74

I've had mine for 2 years now, and I've literally not had to do anything to them in that time. Given the ease of use, I'd say it's worth the investment. As for fitting them, just take your time and do it steadily and you should be OK

mudplugga
    Free Member

try transfil mudlovers same type of thing half price.

dickie
    Free Member

Transfil Flying Snake are half the price, lighter, & do the same job.

FuzzyWuzzy

Just fitted a set on my road bike and it does seem a bit slicker shifting but then that could just the effect of new/clean cables, too early to tell if it means less maintenance in future though. Next time I need cables for the MTB I'll buy some. Installation was easier than I thought it would be, although I was stumped for a minute when it mentioned the "long ferrule" which was actually the inner plastic liner (not sure if it's the same on the MTB instructions).

Waderider
    Free Member

What foxyrider said for me. Used to use them, but they will eventually die spectacularly. I buy all the bits, Shimano sealed outer caps, bulk outer, and an inner cable with crimp and make my own cable runs up. I do it with a lot of nerdy care and get thousands of miles out of a standard cable set.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘GORE RIDE ON GEAR CABLES – worth it and how hard to install?’ is closed to new replies.