Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gore Phantom or similar – recommendations please.
  • blanklook

The zip has failed on my Gore Phantom jacket (5 years old so not bad given it’s used most days in the winter / autumn). Looking to replace with similar softshell for chilly morning commuting. Any recommendations or is the Gore Phantom the best?

iainc

I had one and sold it on as a little baggy. I replaced it with an Endura Windchill, which has been great so far.

andycs

Gore countdown hoody If you like the casual look!

Cheezpleez

If yourself is a mk1 Phantom then get the zip repaired and hang onto it. Best softshell ever IME.

Windchill is an OK replacement but not as versatile (hotter).

Cheezpleez

If yourself is a mk1 Phantom then get the zip repaired and hang onto it. Best softshell ever IME.

Windchill is an OK replacement but not as versatile (hotter).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got an unused flouro-yellow medium I am about to list for sale…

Got two red/black ones and I don’t commute so don’t need it – bought in a moment of enthusiasm – like some of my loudspeakers 🙁

blanklook

@cheezpleez what is difference between mki and ii? Mine about 5 yrs old…
    Thanks Turnerguy, that could work but not sure about the yellow (I know…).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yellow is good for commuting!

Shackleton

Agree that mk1 has yet to be surpassed. It will have n2s on the left sleeve if it is a mk1. This means next to skin and was the best thing ever for British riding. Mine is over 10 years old and keeps getting repaired as nothing else comes close. No idea why they stopped making them only to replace it with the baggy, sweaty, nasty bin bag that the mk2 is.

Cheezpleez

The originals have N2S on one of the sleeves, I think. They use a different, thinner material that was great for temperature regulation.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 the N2S is a great jacket

sweaman2
    Free Member

It was a sad day when my gore mk1 n2s bit the dust. I have a fluro mk2 that I use for commuting but it isn’t as breathable and gets clammy when working hard. For on the bike I’ve replaced the n2s with a Rab VaporRise lite which is almost as good; the cut just isn’t quite as cycling specific but the breathability and warmth more than make up for it for me.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Love my n2s phantom, getting very tatty now though 🙁

plus-one

My mk1 phantom has seen 15 years use has few nicks etc but now worn as general warm jacket for outdoor duties.. Car washing diy etc still going strong 🙂

Repair it !!!

blanklook

Thanks all for the replies – looks like mine is “the baggy sweaty nasty bin bag” then…funny, I always thought it was pretty good.
    Zip totally went last night (at -1deg) so will look at the other suggestions. Keep ’em coming…

mrchrispy

mk2 is still a pretty awesome jacket. i commute in mine every day and usually get away with just the jacked and a howies base layer.

ElShalimo

Lancashire Sport Repairs are very good, so are Scottish Mountain Gear
    Fix it, keep using it

blanklook

Thanks Elshalimo – enquiry sent to SMG. Anyone know anywhere in London that would do similar to save postage…

trickydisco
    Free Member

The zip has failed on my Gore Phantom jacket (

Failed on mine as well. Emailed gore and they told me to go into evans and pick up a brand new jacket . Great customer service

My most used jacket. Commute everyday – only need a base layer underneath even with all this cold weather

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gore Phantom or similar – recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.