Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Gore Paclite Jackets
  • fathomer

So I’m heading over to Wales at the weekend to ride Nant Y Arian and it’s looking like it’s going to rain pretty much all the time we’re there. Therefore I’m in the market for a new waterproof as the current Endura Laser 2 I have is a bit boil in the bag for my liking and the only other jacket is a Gore Phantom 2 which I imagine will be pretty heavy when soaked.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Gore Path 2, but I’ve found the Alp X for a decent price and wondered if it’s worth the extra if anyone has any experience with them?

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Paclite jackets and to be honest they’re pretty boil in the bag too. Also feel quite clammy against bare skin. Fold up small though. One’s got pit zips which helps.

I prefer my event jacket, the new Gore fabrics are a lot better as far as I can tell too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

<runs into thread to shout “Paramo” then runs back out again/>

😀

druidh
    Free Member

If you can stretch to the Fusion AS, you’ll notice it definitely more breathable and much more comfortable against bare arms.

http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Satellite/PROD_JGFUSI?landingid=1212722558082A

jameso

I’ve got a couple of Paclite jackets and to be honest they’re pretty boil in the bag too.

Agreed.

If I’m riding in the wet I prefer a windproof that dries fast once wetted through with a merino base, plus a polyester mid if it gets proper soaking. You’re gonna be wet whatever you wear, just try to stay warm and dry out fast. I do say this a lot, but wearing goretex on a bike is a waste of time and £ imo. OK for hillwalking and scrambling in the rain but not cycling.

(I hear the Paramo echo clearly.. and add Buffalo.. Montane pile-lined Pertex.. etc )

fathomer

Thanks for the comments, unfortunately there all a bit out of budget, I’d found the Alp X for £150 and that was pushing it. eVent seems to be really expensive now and Paramo is much the same. The Fusion does look nice but can’t find one for less than £180.

Think I may just go for the Path 2, amazon have them for £115 which seems reasonable ish.

fathomer

I’ve got a couple of Paclite jackets and to be honest they’re pretty boil in the bag too.

Agreed.

Well I’d need a windproof then, any recommendations?

druidh
    Free Member

The little Montane Velo jackets are ideal as a windproof/showerproof layer. They roll up into a little stuff-bag and can easily be squeezed into a jersey pocket.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I wouldnt ever buy another Goretex. I’ve had two and both were rubbish! Totally overated. I bought my first (Path paclite) after my thoroughly excellent Altura attack wore out. Sure, it wasnt totally breathable but i’ve yet to find a proper waterproof that is.

Aidan
    Free Member

I have a Paclite Path and used to have an Alp X.

The Path folds up a lot smaller but I do miss the drop-tail and the nicer collar. If I could have either right now, I’d pick the Path because it is easier to pack away. If I didn’t care so much about packing size, I’d have the Alp X.

The “windproof that dries fast” is a fine technique if you never have to walk out in the pouring rain. In my experience, soft shells, windproofs, and other highly breathable fabrics are great until you have a mechanical and/or injury. Then you can get really cold really fast. In their place, they’re great. In remote places, I’d always take a Goretex/eVent 100% waterproof shell, event if I do risk sweating in it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve had both Paclite and eVent. Despite washing and treating them as per the care instructions they never stayed waterproof for long. My current eVent jacket is no better than a windproof at keeping the rain out, but not as breathable. Very disappointed with every “waterproof” jacket until I bought Paramo. Fingers crossed it’ll still be as good after some intense use.

Agree with the comments above though re getting cold and wet. I’ve been caught out in some pretty wet and cold weather with just a windproof, as have plenty of friends. Even on a bike giving it some beans it can be very difficult to stay warm if you’re wet in the depths of winter (or UK summer for that matter).

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any easy answer to this. I’ve had so many different ‘waterproofs’ over the years that either weren’t or were so waterproof that you simply get wet through from your own sweat that I’ve given up trying to find one.

I’m using a Castelli Gabba jersey at the mo, which kind of fits with a stay warm even when wet philosophy on the bike, Paramo works for walking, but has a fairly specific temp range, although it does keep the water out.

cinnamon_girl

I share your pain!

I have a 15 year old Goretex Paclite jacket that is still up to the job cos it’s been looked after nicely BUT my most used jacket is a Gore Bike Wear Wind Stopper. It’s kept me dry in 3 hours of heavy-ish rain and is more durable when I have an off.

On the other hand, even though we’re in Summer, allegedly, my Paclite has been used. Now it may be that one with removable sleeves may fit your requirements, at least that way you’re protected in windswept open areas.

So … to summise … get one of each. 🙂 Wimmins logic innit?

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

paclite will make you sweat like a mofo! try to pick up something made form Gore Pro-shell….waaaay better.

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t think there are any ‘shell’ jackets that can be waterproof and deal with the amount of sweat produced by hard physical activity. The only situation they are good in is cold, dry conditions where activity is relatively minimal.

A cool shell will always have to deal with condensing moisture vapour from your body and they simply can’t do it, in my experience.

The choice is to get wet from outside, or wet from inside.

I aim to stay warm while exercising at full effort; it’s the only option I’ve encountered when considering clothing.

cinnamon_girl

Don’t forget to check out http://www.tgstore.eu as they sometimes have jackets reduced/special offers/codes etc.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

I’ve got a bontrager eVent jacket and it’s way better than any of the pac-lite jackets I’ve tried. Definitely worth a look for anyone considering a new jacket – a bit cheaper too.

bonty eVent jacket

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    I aim to stay warm while exercising at full effort; it’s the only option I’ve encountered when considering clothing.

That’s generally true, but as Aidan says above, there can be times when that becomes impossible (injury, mechanical failure etc). In that case, being any more than a few miles from your car or civilisation can literally be a matter of life or death and a full waterproof shell can make all the difference,

crikey
    Free Member

I agree druidh, but that’s a different situation, and one which could be adressed equally as well by using a big plastic survival bag.

I’ve become really disillusioned with all the ‘breathable’ fabrics I’ve encountered; I just get wet in them.

RustySpanner

I’ve an older Paclite Alp X & really rate it, tbh.
    Can get a little sweaty, but if I slow down a bit, don’t pull the hem too tight and leave the collar open a little it’s fine. Suits the, er, ‘fuller’ figure too!

Not as good as eVent or Gore ProShell for breathability, but I reckon it works very well.

Might go back to Buffalo next time though – had one years ago, didn’t realise they were still going.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my dirt cheap, bright yellow Aldi cycling jacket, which has been excellent for the money – breathable, packs down to almost nothing and waterproof for an hour or so even in really bad conditions – I really should try proofing it again.

pedalhead
    Free Member

The new Gore Active Shell fabric is superb, easily as good for breathability as the 3 layer eVENT jacket I used to have. Mines the Gore Fusion AS. I’ve used it many times in heavy rain and it’s kept me 100% dry. If it’s hot and raining, I wouldn’t bother with a waterproof as you’ll just get wet on the inside anyway.

jameso

Totally right on the cold-when-stationary comments. A bit OT but I have a 340g primaloft jacket that rolls down to a small ball in my bag for times like that. Goretex may keep you dryer than a windproof if you’re walking, but on a bike it makes me wet from the inside so either way i’m wet, (maybe a bit slower to get proper wet with a WP in torrential rain) so I still take a proper insulating layer for when I stop. Like using a belay jacket when climbing basically. Only used it on the bike once when it was really grim, but then I’ve never had to ride all-day in non-stop chucking-down conditions, only a few hrs here and there.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

paclite will make you sweat like a mofo! try to pick up something made form Gore Pro-shell….waaaay better.

disagree with that – I have had two NF paclite jackets that have been through complete downpour days in the lakes (walking) and also cycling to work.

I now have the proshell equivalent and it breathes much worse it seems, as does my Endura Event, but not as bad.

I would get paclite for the bike though – not very robust, whereas the proshell is. Also a bit rubbery to have next to the skin.

Make sure you get pitzips.

easygirl

have a lookon royles under clearance cycle clothing they have a gorem path 2 for £60, sizes are limited, but some bargains
    ive got a 20% off code smewhere if anything is suitable

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I’ve a Solomon Paclite and it makes me sweat like a rapist.

Folds up small mind, so perfect for racing and short rides innit.

crftom
    Free Member

Ive been using one of these for the past 8 months it’s been great Endura mt500

philfive
    Free Member

i had my eye on a Montane Atomic DT which is a pretty light jacket. its made from Entrant DT and is very breathable by all accounts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047XFEVQ/ref=asc_df_B0047XFEVQ8477188/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B0047XFEVQ&linkCode=asn

fathomer

Thanks again for everyone’s input, even more confused than before 😳

I’m contemplating just manning up and wearing my phantom jacket and giving it a spray with some nikwax spray and putting the Laser in the pack for if it really lashes it down.

@easygirl, thanks for the offer, all to big all small unfortunately!

druidh
    Free Member

I think that’s actually a pretty good option, especially as you can de-sleeve the Phantom for a bit of flexibility.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Gore Paclite Jackets’ is closed to new replies.