Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gore Bike Wear taped seams!
  • j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve got a GBW Fusion Active Shell jacket and noticed that some of the taped seams have failed on the inside of the jacket surrounding the pocket detail. The DWR seems to be deteriorating too even after washing and tumbling
    I’ve contacting the shop I bought it from and they’ve asked for pictures, which I’ve done.
    I bought it at Christmas 2011 but understand the jacket has a lifetime warranty(equates to 5 years it seems).

Just wondering what is likely to happen next, has anyone had something happen to their Gore jacket and how things were dealt with including time scale?
    Do they tend to try to repair these types of issues or are they likely to just offer a replacement? I love the jacket and wouldn’t hesitate in buying another one in the future, recently bought a GBW Path for commuting so not put off the brand in the slightest.

jonk

I had some Alp-X pants and the seem tapes started coming away after 3 weeks constant use. Washing in tech was no spin warm dry followed all instructions. Gore offered replacement through my LBS. The replacement pair went back after 2 months – worn seat after that i got my money back.

j40aja
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

I’ve had a look on the shop’s site to see which Gore jackets they have in stock and they only have the Contest 2.0 available which is far cheaper and different type of jacket so not sure they’ll be able to offer a suitable replacement.
    We’ll see what happens but would struggle to get a similar jacket for the same money I paid as it was in the sale when I bought it.

matt_outandabout

How often do you launder?
    What do you use to clean it and reproof?

j40aja
    Free Member

Only wash it when it gets pretty dirty, starts to whiff a bit or needs the dwr improved then I only use non bio Ecover liquid after cleaning out the detergent drawer.
    The jacket is active shell so can’t be reproofed as such but the dwr is supposed to be rejuvinated by tumble drying.

matt_outandabout

You shouldn’t use any washing powder/liquid stuff with taped seams. It also strips the DWR out.

Use either natural soap flakes, or nikwax/graingers products.

j40aja
    Free Member

Just double checked the care instructions on the label and it doesn’t mention only using Graingers and the like, so if Gore question how the jacket’s been washed then they don’t have a leg to stand on.
    I chose the Ecover stuff specfically due to it being non bio and very gentle with no junk in it, didn’t even consider that it could cause damage to the adhesive holding the taped seams.

xcube
    Free Member

When I washed mine I checked the website and it said powder or liquid detergent. No mention of special products.
    https://www.goreapparel.co.uk/FAQs/cs-faq,default,pg.html#04Answer

matt_outandabout

I stand corrected then!

What I would say is that nikwax or graingers proofed will replace washed out DWR.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gore Bike Wear taped seams!’ is closed to new replies.