Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gopro video editing.
  • timidwheeler

Hi,

Back from the Alps and have hours of tedious, repetitive footage I want to bore my family with :mrgreen:

Any video editing tips? I’ve never edited video but I am quite good with photoshop. I just fired up Gopro studio but wondering if Movie Maker might be better?
    Any help appreciated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Less is more….

A number of short films of different days?

Cut it rough, cut it again, trim it a bit more then do the final cut.

creamegg
    Free Member

Im using Sony Movie Studio which is easy enough to use and more than advanced for my needs. Its around £50 ish but you can free trial for a month.

chakaping
    Free Member

Movie Maker is pretty intuitive and does me alright.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Movie maker is easy to grasp and will allow you to do the basic things you need to do to put a sick edit together.

Make sure you are ruthless with your cutting otherwise you will bore them to death.

timidwheeler

Cheers will look at Movie Maker. Will it let me adjust coloured exposure? Also I have filmed a lot in 4k with the hope I can crop into the footage. Is this possible.

timidwheeler

My research suggests I may need more features than Movie Maker can offer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have adobe premiere pro on the creative cloud deal (annual sub) as I use it for work too. Elements is the entry level version. Costs money but not much you wont be able to do (if you learn how to do it)

timidwheeler

Sorry Mike only just noticed your reply. I’m used to Photoshop, does Premier use a similar control system.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Movie maker is easy to use and has some useful features. Enough to edit your footage into something watchable.

If you start spending money are your friends and family going to watch the footage with any more interest?

If you want to do it then get what ever you like but don’t expect the kit to make the footage interesting.

I have just started doing some videos about my car. I try to keep each clip to just a few minutes – I guess yours will be longer – but it makes them manageable bites.

If you search for Z300S on YouTube you should spot the ones

i_like_food

I used the Gopro editor for my first effort (https://youtu.be/6r5A8mmUENc) and would agree about being brutal on the editing, if you want to give them an idea of what you did then 2 min is enough. Music helps too. I’ve got zero experience (as I’m sure you can tell from the film) but the Gopro software was pretty straightforward.

Good luck, pop a link on this thread after!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you add music, edit to the rhythm. A cut on the beat will look much better, typically, although on the off-beat can add tension. Observe where the focal point is in the scene – so where the eye naturally sits – and try to maintain that position in the next clip. You’ll be amazed how much impact 1/25th of a second can make coming in too early or too late with a cut. Editing is about providing continuity and believability, so the best editing is invisible.

DaVinci’s Resolve Lite is excellent editing/grading software and is free.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am going to follow the advice about beat and focal point editing. Good advice

cbike
    Free Member

Yes. Be brutal with the cutting. For me for example, WCA’s video is still too long and has loads of “dead time” and shots that are too long. His car doesn’t seem very fast when it obviously is. But for a car enthusiast on youtube it may be what they are after.
    Good sound is important and the rythym and pace is not always about a backing track.

Tell a story. Make a joke. Never show anyone unedited footage. they will die.

I think premier, final cut, avid and sony stuff is where the ease of use and ability to color correct and manipulate or crop begins. Not to say others can’t but you want to it to be quick and easy.

edit uncompressed for speed and then you can compress for your delivery method when done. A decent modern machine can edit compressed but will be faster again if you make its life easier.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m sure Movie Maker doesn’t have the option for HD output?

Other than that I’m clueless, my vids are pretty crap – everyone says cut, cut, cut and they’re right but I find it had to be objective, because I was filming it, when I watch it back I remember the thrill of it and it seems better to me than it translates on the screen I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there is a trial
    https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud
    if you are using photoshop and 2 other products the sub makes sense

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

cbike – Which clip did you watch?

This one was my first with too much dead time etc : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZDpv3QSPY

I was quicker on the edits on later ones : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbmZg8MUEmQ

Happy for feedback and tips to improve. shaky camera shots and nothing being vertical are obvious faults but all being shot with one of these held in my hand / strapped tot he car

and one attempt at humour : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEn3opXeRbQ

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gopro video editing.’ is closed to new replies.