Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • gopro video cams
  • grimupnorth
    Free Member

lads,

gopro vid cams.

toying with the idea of getting one, just wondering if anyone has experience of using one while out of the trails?

specific questions I had are:

– due to no fault of my one, I sometimes crash ;)…..can the camera take a hit and survive???
    – what sort of record time do you get when taking vidoe? guess it depends on the resolution you run at etc?
    – I use a full face helmet when out on the bike, are there mounts for fitting the camera to this type of hemlmet?
    finally
    – I like the idea of having one of these cameras in the car, for insurance purposes etc…how practical is it to do this? I mean is the camera physically large in size for mounting to my windscreen etc.

any other tip you could let me know about?

cheers 🙂

wee-al
    Free Member

Mine should be arriving tomorrow (although according to the couriers Caithness is on the Orkneys (it isn’t) so may take longer).So i’ll let you know how quality / crash resistance are.

As for mounting to your full face, suction cups would do it i’d say. I bought the chest harness which seems to be the preferred option for most these days.

Cheers, Al.

grimupnorth
    Free Member

ok cheers al, would be interested in any feedback.

if you don’t mind me asking which model did you go for?

I’m not very techincal when it comes to cameras…so not sure if the black edition would be OTT for me.

there’s a jessops camera shop in the granite city, so I could always pop in for a nosey.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK firstly there are a couple of ladies here too 🙂

Yep it can take a battering.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/29531342[/video]
    About 35s in

I can get about 1-2 hrs of filming HD on the HD I expect the new ones to be better.
    I was running a full day of riding in the alps turning off for lifts/lunch etc.
    Mounts for Everything and more – helmet mounting can look Sh*t if it’s just a floating head with no reference. I prefer chest strap but varying angles makes for a better film.Couple it with a mini tripod or one of the gripper things for varied filming.

In the car would mount fine etc but really going to be dull, there were some 30s loop vid camers with BB/Magnet contact switch that would reloop until impact then hold last 30s of filming.

Good editing software is better, this also needs computing power. The new ones will also generate bigger files again. I have a lot to get rid of but having at least 1TB of storage is good. If you go away for a week a laptop becomes essential to back up unless you have a lot of cards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As for mounting to your full face, suction cups would do it i’d say

Use the stick on mounts in the pack for this.

Nick

They are tough, they are also enclosed in a clear plastic case which will take quite a bit of punishment and is fairly cheap to replace.

Record time with the standard battery is about 2hrs, get a Wasabi charger and extra two batteries and you’ll go for seven hours.

The camera comes with some sticky pads that are ideal for securing the camera to a full face helmet, but also get a chest mount and a handle bar mount, it’s good to vary the angles.

Easy to mount in the car, if you use the skeleton case you can plug it into the car power to keep it going all the time you are driving.

unsponsored
    Free Member

They can take the hit. If the outer case gets damaged parts can be replaced.

The curved stick on mount will be the best bet for mounting to your lid. I use mine (now a GP 3 Silver Edition) for kayaking.

I have loads of go pro stuff on my site (most is kayak related) – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?cat=27

quincie
    Free Member

My friend who has the GoPro2 said its sometimes quite a pain to use. Ie, having to hold down the play button for exactly three secondsso it starts recording etc. Might want to keep that in mind, he certainly still loves it though.

Nick

You don’t have to hold the play button down for exactly three seconds, at least you don’t on mine.

You press the record button, it beeps, it starts recording, you press it again, it beeps a couple of times and stops recording.

Or you can set it to record automatically when you turn it on, which is good when you want to save battery and editing time but only recording the intersting bits.

quincie
    Free Member

Yeah he said it can sometimes be quite hard to hear the beep though when he’s riding. Im only going on what hes told me as well i’ve never actually used one i have to admit! All the reviews ive seen though say they’re great.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Forget putting a GoPro in the car, get one of these.

Blurb.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘gopro video cams’ is closed to new replies.