Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • GoPro mounts – recommendations?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been lent a GoPro (new hero 3 with wifi control) for a trip to the lakes. No mounts other than the standard though so I figure I need to buy something.

What do people recommend? I figure a bar mount probably makes most sense.

composite
    Free Member

Chesty and the roll bar mount are the ones I use the most.

hainman
    Free Member

+1 for the chest mount…give good footage and takes in the front of the bike plus the trail and looks spot on…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the roll bar mount and the handlebar mount?

kayak23

Diameter..

boltonjon

Chesty – great quality video with minimal faff

Steve77
    Free Member

Yeah, chesty and helmet in that order. Bar mount looks terrible if you have to move the bars much

stevenc
    Free Member

Chesty, bars, helmet, in that order. The chest strap is by far the best. It’s gives the best view too.

kayak23

Off the bike, off the bike, off the bike, chesty, in that order. Onboard footage gets sooooo dull.

For this reason, a camera/tripod mount is quite handy combined with a mini tripod.

exiger
    Free Member
    exiger
    Free Member

Just bought one so will see what it’s like in a few weeks 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ok – I see the chest mount is actually £35 rather than the £45 I thought. I’m with you – chest mount footage is much better but bike mount is Ok if you’re following (or being followed by) another rider.

Northwind

Get a little tripod- gorrillapod is ideal. Then, stick a gopro “foot” to the tripod, so you can quick release it off your chest harness onto the tripod. Find somewhere accessible to carry the tripod- mine hooks nicely into one of the wee webs on my camelbak, on my shoulder.

Why? Means you can stop and set up the camera in just a few seconds without having to fanny around with any screws. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s faster and less faff, and faff puts you off doing it. Every ride vid should have at least one static shot but the more the better.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So successfully experimenting with the chesty. Any advice on how to minimise shake or video settings to use?

I’ve got the straps done up fairly tight but riding the descents on the borrow dale bash yesterday the camera looks like it w bouncing all over the place.

Currently filming at 720/50 for import to iMovie.

kayak23

Ride smoother? 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I also found the chesty too shaky and tricky to aim. Tend to use bar and a pad glued to side of helmet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Straps tight and the white plug in the mount. Thats about it im looking into image stabilization in post production software. ..
    Just got a full sized tripod for planned filming and low down shots are getting dull. Bar mount is only really good as makeshift tripod imho.

GEDA
    Free Member

Use the free gopro app for setting the picture up right

greeble
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

I bought a GoPole (not the arm) for snowboarding and it was a cool angle but broke very easily in a slow speed crash.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Chest mount and K-Edge bar mounts are good.
    Saddle mount is good too if you are riding with someone else.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

If you wear a hydration pack / backpack it helps quite a lot with the go-pro stability if you pull the backpack straps up a bit tighter and tighten the chest strap so that is sits over the go-pro chest mount plate and holds it onto your chest. The other thing is to tighten the chest mount straps right up. I’m about a 40″ chest and run the straps all the way tight, it feels snug when you put it on but that and the backpack straps will help quite a lot.
    You’ll never get totally smooth footage on bumpy trails though.
    Chest mount as stable as I can get it on bumpy terrain:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA681JvwzoM
    Another mount possibilty (under the bars, well ouboard & pointing back)

greeble
    Free Member

chest mount ftw
    the mic also picks up your heartbeat
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-UXtLqcj0[/video]

bigjim

I can’t quite get the right angle with the chesty, I think I need to either put the camera upside down, or get an extra link section to get it away from the mount a bit, at the moment it’s mostly my knees being recorded.

greeble
    Free Member

fit it upsidedown. Then angle the camera so its almost up looking at your face so when you’re in the riding position it gets the angle above.

boltonjon

mount the camera upside down

You can then alter the camera settings to record everything upside down or just invert the film when using the GoPro editing software

Milkie
    Free Member

720p/60fps is not very good..
    1080p/60fps Wide, would be much better and sharper.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

Mixing up the camera angles makes for a good video. I hate helmet cam footage as it feels disconnected from the bike and rider.. Unless you are following someone closely who has some style.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Short mount plate upside down and as low as it will go works for me on an original Go-pro HD. To be fair, I stuck it on a mate recently and on him that position was too high but he is a little more barrel chested than me.
    Worth mentioning, when you’ve got the angle right it will look much, much too high when you are standing up, like you’ll think you are going to video the view up your nose high. It’ll be right once you are going though.

Northwind

Gopro make a slightly longer “arm” section which moves the chesty out enough to work right way up- I got one for free by having a moan, not sure if that will work for everyone 😆 Not neccesary but it’s one less thing to fanny about with (also Vegas insists on displaying the clips upside down in some of the previews even after they’re inverted)

composite
    Free Member

Milkie – Member

720p/60fps is not very good..
    1080p/60fps Wide, would be much better and sharper.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

That’s not what that article says. What it says is:

“720 60 Wide
    Looks great, but why don’t you try using 1080 60 Wide instead”

Why you might choose to not use 1080p at 60fps is that editing that footage is processor intensive. Fine if you have a computer that can handle it but if not then I suggest sticking to 720p.

Also the OP only said it’s a Hero 3 not that its the black edition. The silver and white don’t do 1080p 60fps so he might not even be able to go for that mode.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

No, think it’s the black edition. I tightened it up a lot but I reckon I still need to go tighter – i’m less than a 40″ chest. tip about chest strap over the top worth a try as well.

Quality is fine at 720 but I’m wondering about 100fps. Not sure if imovie can handle it though.

grum
    Free Member

100fps won’t put any extra load on your computer/software – but the point of it is to do mega slow motion.

gsp1984
    Free Member

The chest mount always seems to give the best real world footage. Helmet mount makes even if stuff look small.

I used a bar mount the other day which looks ok, maybe a bit bouncy…

Klunk
    Free Member

best mounting is to bodge it to your backpack strap, upside down… it’s a bit like having a “predator” shoulder gun thing. Having it attached to your pack keeps everything together, compact and easy to operate.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘GoPro mounts – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.