Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • GoPro, hero 3/4 or 4 session??
  • lee170
    Free Member

I borrowed a GoPro hero3 from my wife’s work and took it out mountain biking last night, wow what a piece of kit.
    I know I’m cave man like only just getting into GoPro world.
    Now I want my own and have been looking around at deals. I like the idea of the newer GoPro hero 4 session due to its size and waterproof without the extra casing.
    Does anyone have the session?
    Has anyone changed from the standard hero3 to get the session?
    The session is currently £159 so seems a good deal, hero3 is around £220-250 I think.
    I’ll be mainly using it for biking and family holidays filming the family swimming under water etc and slides.
    Will the session be any good for this type of thing??

Any owner real world reviews would be great thanks

STATO
    Free Member

I just bought a 3+ black for £150 refurbished on ebay (official re-seller) and it is perfect, however that was only as I already had a 3+ and didn’t want to mix with different batteries of the 4.

Id say if its your first and your thinking of paying £200+ then it really should be a 4, the image quality is just that much better and spares easily available (I know 3 spares are easy to get online, but not when you need them on holiday in towns or at the airport).

The session looks good, but the non-replaceable battery was the concern for me. Had a contour like that previously and it stopped me using it all the time as I was saving battery for that ‘perfect shot’.

Oh and I dont think the waterproof case is an issue on the normal go-pro, yes its a little heavier but if you are filming family and water slides you will be adding a handle/float anyway so not an issue. If anything its a positive as you can care a little less about scratching the lens as the case is replaceable. I used mine on a float/handle filming on holiday last year and it got bashed about a lot, so quite a few marks on the plastic case (but none on lens thankfully).

shipton47
    Free Member

We have a GoPro session and really happy with it, the quality is good happy when viewing on a 42” tv, we have just been using on the bikes, kayaks and on the dogs no issues there. Haven’t needed a screen as yet but when upgrade will get one with one if they still do on the next gen model. You may miss a screen when filming but you soon learn where to point without. It sounds like the 10m waterproof will be enough. We decided against the 4 silver and wait and see what the next model is like and buy the cheaper session would definitely buy again. It copes well with poor light on the trails and at twilight, not seen any issues with the quality.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Riksbar

Just got a 4 Silver as I fancied the option for night timelapse of stars, Milky Way etc.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got the plain-Jane Hero they used to sell for £100 or so, it seems to have been replaced by the Hero+ and now the Session.

It’s perfectly adequate for recording your week in the Alps / trip to BPW / Afan and bore your FB mates / Wife / Mum / Workmates with when you get home – it’ll do 1080p but, you want to use it in 720p really – you get a higher framerate which looks better anyway and it chews through slightly less storage. The only time I’ve run into its limitations was when I really wanted to check out what it was filming before I got home – you can do that via Bluetooth to a smartphone with the latest ones so I’d go for the Session if I was going for one now.

The current Silver shoots in lower res than the Session, but has a screen you might not need (see above) the Black does look amazing, but you’ll need a huge SD card to shoot anything meaningful in 4k, a massively powerful PC to edit it and view it, via your 4K tv or Monitor – really they’re for Pro looking for almost broadcast quality footage – they’re bloody expensive bits of kit to dangle off your lid via a bit of double-sided 3M.

STATO
    Free Member

The current Silver shoots in lower res than the Session

I dont think it does? Even compared to the 3+ silver the Session is only ‘better’ by having a 1440 mode and 720superview.

A good review of it here by Unsponsored (post on here occasionally). This review also suggests the silver is better on the specs.

Of course the size of the session is the main feature. If your using it on a helmet the reduced weight has to be a big positive if the battery life meets your needs.

STATO
    Free Member

As I said I picked up a 3+black for £150 a few weeks ago, from this seller on ebay, currently dont have much stock but worth watching as it changes regularly. Also worth looking at the gopro site itself, they have a Hero4 silver refurbished for £180 at the moment.

beanum

Slight hijack here:
    Has anyone used a GoPro for snorkelling? I was wondering how easy it was to “aim” without a screen…? Does the Silver model’s screen work underwater? We currently use a small Sony camera and the screen is practically useless when underwater…

rossburton
    Free Member

I love the Session as it’s waterproof out of the box, so eg just throwing it in the paddling pool is trivial. It doesn’t have its own screen, but you can use their app on your phone to see what the camera can see until you’re used to positioning it.

Aiming is fairly simple as the angle is so wide.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘GoPro, hero 3/4 or 4 session??’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts