Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • GoPro Helmet hero. Which one – or another POV video camera?
  • ArnoutIAndrews67
    Free Member

I was thinking about getting a video (on ebay) but which one? The original – or the wide angle? Is there any point in the HD option for something that is going to be shaking about on the helmet or bars anyway? Is there something else to think about instead of the GoPro? Any experiences welcome….

Duane…
    Free Member

HD is substantially better quality than the standard (Ive used both a fair bit). If you can afford the HD, its definately worth getting over the standard.

MarkN
    Free Member

I use the Contour 1080HD and get some great quality footage. Wind noise can be an issue and is its weakness if I am honest. No idea how the Go-pro compares in this area. I went for the Contour as I felt it was less prone to getting damaged/knocked off, you may see "toaster on the head" comments.

With the laser alignment I have not yet managed to shoot a days riding and shoot the front wheel all day which I have known others do with the Go-pro.

I got mine from Dogcam Sports as I have always had great customer service from them. They sell both so discuss your needs with them.

A word of warning though. Shooting the footage is the easy bit. It is the editing that takes the time and effort. 😀

Northwind

The HD option really is something else, and can be bought from the states for surprisingly little cash, it's not enormously more than buying a standard Wide lo-def from a UK vendor. But you do need to budget for a chest mount to get the best of it, and a spare battery would be wise too, the life is a bit short.

The only real plus side of the older Wide is that the footage can be edited with any old rubbish, Windows Movie Maker handles it fine and it doesn't need a lot of processing power. The HD records in different formats and needs a bit more oomph, or a lot of patience.

The Gopro does look silly on your head but it's reasonably light and not huge. But the chest mount is such a winner, it really is all Gopro need to make them the best choice for now, and that's all down to the funny shape. There's not a better all round mount.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

A thumbs up for the gopro , i've had it for about 20 months and love it , simple robust and the wide angle is superb (my videos are on you tube under same name), think i'll have to take northwind's advice and get the chest mount !!!!

popstar
    Free Member

+1 for GoPro HD. Here is my latest video just to see that even novice like me can do some nice movies.

And to kill off any argument or suggestions look here and make your own desicion.

suburban
    Free Member

my non IT mate tested a goPro and a contour back to back. the Contour produced far better footage for our riding, and was appreciaiably better on night rides. Although the goPro i think was a standard one as the footage is not as good as the above link. Although the contour is quite small and simple.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I went with the wide rather than the HD, mainly because I was able to get it using a pile of Tiso vouchers I had lying around. I'd have preferred the HD (and might buy one at some point) but I've been impressed by the wide and it's find for youtube type footage. It's certainly vastly better than the Oregon I also have and, as others have mentioned, the chest mount is very, very good.

Here's an example with mine (just edited using Windows Moviemaker):
    Example Movie

grumm
    Free Member

popstar – love the crash on that video 😆

ArnoutIAndrews67
    Free Member

[love the crash on that video]

If you mean the one one the concrete pipe – then have at look at the Sunday Warrior clip also on Popstar's vimeo page – its even funnier!

Northwind

"suburban – Member

my non IT mate tested a goPro and a contour back to back. the Contour produced far better footage for our riding, and was appreciaiably better on night rides. Although the goPro i think was a standard one as the footage is not as good as the above link."

The standard Gopro is pretty low resolution, it gives decent footage despite that because the image is so stable and the light response etc is decent but you're right, it's not a high image quality camera- still, I bought mine to replace a higher quality seperates system as the convenience was worth the loss of quality. That model really relies on the convenience and mounts to sell it, though it was still a good option. But the HD one is pretty much on a par with the HD contour on quality, but still has the other benefits.

Conor
    Free Member

My mate is in new York at the minute and is bring me a gopro hero HD home. Works out at £190 with the helmet mount kit.

The reason I picked hero HD was:

1. wanted a new digital compact, the HD takes good photos.
    2. I mountain bike, snowboard, surf, kayak, snorkel… the gopro can do all that.
    3. My mate has one and I've seen and used it in the flesh and watched the raw results. Stunning.
    4. I've used another friend's standard hero wide. It's pants compared to the HD. Well, not pants, OK, but when you compare the footage the HD is in a different game all together.
    5. I can get the housing to fit UNDER the visor on my FF helmet… so I don't look that much of a knob 🙂
    6. They are tough and loads of spares readily available.

Northwind

"4. I've used another friend's standard hero wide. It's pants compared to the HD. Well, not pants, OK, but when you compare the footage the HD is in a different game all together."

Exactly. Buying the old one made sense when I got it but now you don't save much and you get so much less. Makes no sense. Go properly cheap or go good, but don't go halfway.

ArnoutIAndrews67
    Free Member

Massive thanks to all contributors – plenty to think about, useful links and even a couple of funny crashes to boot. I love Singletrack. I think I'll try my far East contact to see if I can get a bargain HD if not then I'll go chips cheap now and start saving…

Thanks
    Arnout

popstar
    Free Member

ArnoutIAndrews67

[love the crash on that video]

If you mean the one one the concrete pipe – then have at look at the Sunday Warrior clip also on Popstar's vimeo page – its even funnier!

– How dare you laugh at my apprentice? The man has been on MTBike 3rd time ever in his entire life and completed -Y Wall- trail in SWales only with 1 stupid ( I addmit it ) crash! He almost had a heart attack just to climb on top of the hill, but then things went even better on descent lol. Atleast he is proud of this,

-Pain is temporary, Glory is forever !

p.s. GoPro HD is better as an overall package and to those concerned about quality go and have a look again at comparisons in links, especially in changing light conditions.

Conor
    Free Member

Mine has arrived!! Can't wait to give it a shot at the weekend 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive been thinking about getting one. Which model is the one to get – there seems to be a bit of choice for GoPro – Helmet, Naked, Motosports, Surf etc. I assume I should only be looking at HD, so ignor the Wide, but does that mean the newest HD one is not wide angle ?

popstar
    Free Member

HD is wide angle. Check those videos posted here and see yourself.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, I will have a good look later, Im supposed to be busy at work so it will have to wait till tonight.

Conor
    Free Member

Andy body recommend and SDHC card? what class? 4? 6?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘GoPro Helmet hero. Which one – or another POV video camera?’ is closed to new replies.